PDA

View Full Version : Heavy DL w/o Squating

Nathan Simsalek
06-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Is it possible to train for heavy DL's w/o squating or would the potential imbalances lead to a higher chance of injury?

LBM@7% ~140lbs, DL 1RM 375lbs, 8" rackpull 1RM 545lbs

Would it be possible to work up to the 5 plate range w/o squatting?

Derek Weaver
06-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Is it possible to train for heavy DL's w/o squating or would the potential imbalances lead to a higher chance of injury?

LBM@7% ~140lbs, DL 1RM 375lbs, 8" rackpull 1RM 545lbs

Would it be possible to work up to the 5 plate range w/o squatting?

Yes, it's possible, although unlikely at 140 lbs. I'm guessing you mean five plates/side?

Look up Pavel's Power To The People for info.. I wouldn't worry about injuries from imbalances, the deadlift and trap bar deadlift are knee friendly substitutes for the squat in a lot of cases.

Alex Bond
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Anything's possible but I know a couple guys who compete in push/pull powerlifting meets and they still squat once a week to help out their deadlift. What's wrong with squatting? If there's an injury that needs to be worked around, that's one thing, but just not liking squatting isn't as great of a reason.

John Alston
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I bet you could get a lot of the function out of squatting by keeping it light but still going deep, with good form, done as an aid that wouldn't tax your recovery but would keep you flexible and healthy in the hips, etc.

Ryan Hagenbuch
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
You may find this interesting:

Maintain the Squat, Train the Deadlift (http://www.functionalmovement.com/SITE/publications/downloads/deadlifting.pdf)

Nathan Simsalek
07-01-2010, 05:20 AM
I do FS for cleans and sometimes Zerchers, I just don't BS (guess I should have been more clear in the title/question).

I train for rockclimbing so I do the following:

M: FS or Zechers, goodmornings

T: Climb 1-2 hrs, front & back lever isos & pulls ups, planche isos & push ups

W: Bench or press, wt dips (if a day gets cut for recovery; this is it)

T: Climb 1-2 hrs, front & back lever isos & pulls ups, planche isos & push ups

F: Cleans, DL, rack pulls

S: Climb

S: Rest

Sprints or metcon 1-3 days a week no set schedule, done around sleep, food & recovery