PDA

View Full Version : Performance Menu Book Club.

Dave Van Skike
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Stolen out of another thread.....

Jesse-
that is actually not a bad idea...build "library" of books and DVD's that only PM subscribers are elligible for...kinda like Netflicks....hmmm

I had this same idea yesterday whilst writing up my take on Ross Enamait's books.

There are a lot of books I'd love to read but don't want to own, None of which are not at my library. What about a PM book Club? I have soem basic texts I'd share, Ross, PTP, Practical Programming, etc.

Is there copyright IP problems there?

Mike ODonnell
02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Is there copyright IP problems there?

I would love the idea...as most books I get I read once, take notes on what I like and get rid of....

However with the internet and E-Books I assume there is some issues. New territory...but it is so much more than me giving a hard cover away once I am done with it? I guess it would have to be up the author on whether he wants his book in an internet library. Unless that library charged for a membership fee and he got a cut.....who knows. Or people can view it online...but are not able to save it to their computers or print off...that requires the full purchase of the E-book? Just throwing ideas out there...

Love the idea though....as unlike walking into Borders....you can't preview and skim through the book to see if it is actually worth buying.

Dave Van Skike
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
I would love the idea...as most books I get I read once, take notes on what I like and get rid of....

However with the internet and E-Books I assume there is some issues. New territory...but it is so much more than me giving a hard cover away once I am done with it? I guess it would have to be up the author on whether he wants his book in an internet library. Unless that library charged for a membership fee and he got a cut.....who knows. Or people can view it online...but are not able to save it to their computers or print off...that requires the full purchase of the E-book? Just throwing ideas out there...

Love the idea though....as unlike walking into Borders....you can't preview and skim through the book to see if it is actually worth buying.

My initial thinking wa that to avoid IP adn copyrigth troubesl, it would have to be a hardcover exchange. With priority mail being as cheap as it is, the cost to mail it out is pretty cheap adn effective. Don't know how this would work but I think all it woudl take is a coupel bucks for postage and a modest amount of trust in fellow man.

I'm game. Other than the hockey problem, you seem like a standup guy.....
I'd be willing to pilot such a program if you want to PM me re: the Ross book.

Ron Nelson
02-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm in. I have a few books on plyometrics, some AC stuff, and a couple of DVD's I'm willing to share. . .as long as I get them back (looking sideways at MOD).

I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of The Anabolic Diet by Mauro Di Pasquale, but not willing to shell out $40 for a copy, especially if I end up hating it.

Im in.

Allen Yeh
02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd be game for contributing what meager collection I have.

Allen Yeh
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
. . .as long as I get them back (looking sideways at MOD).

Maybe we should lowjack the books before shipping off to a certain person?

You can never really trust a Red Sox fan...

Scott Kustes
02-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I have stuff to contribute as well. I can see three models:
- Completely decentralized: Everyone keeps their own books and ships them to whomever wants one. Either the shipper can pay the shipping fee (knowing that when s/he gets a book from someone else, his shipping fee is essentially paid back by not having to pay for the shipment of that book) or people have to Paypal/personal check money back and forth.
- Regional reps: Have a person in charge of keeping stacks of books and mailing them out. They'd have to have some way of collecting shipping fees and ensuring that the books came back to them.
- Completely centralized: Robb/Greg hold onto the books and take care of all shipping and collection.

I vote for a decentralized model. If we can just keep a running tally of what books we have, how many of each are available (for instance, 3 Zone books, 1 in use = 2 available), and who has them, the system should handle itself. We're all standup folks.

Jesse Woody
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm in for the decentralized model. If it turns out that there's enough interest, we can go through and make a list of the titles we're willing to share and the contact info. Good stuff :D

Greg Everett
02-22-2007, 12:34 PM
i'm into the decentralized approach as well. last thing i need is more things to do. what i would be willing to do, however, is setup a system that would allow everyone to basically insert and track their stocks so someone looking for a book would know who has it, etc. probably create a quick and easy way to select a book and get the present holder paid for shipping through paypal.

Jamila Bey
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
maybe we should all join titletrader.com

It's a book exchange where you pay for shipping, but so does everyone else. So it works out even in the end... You can choose to ship or not and there's feedback and everything.

If we all knew each other's user names and agreed to ship our fitness titles to each other instead of outsiders, we could use their infrastructure for our purposes. And maybe get rid of other crap too!

Greg Everett
02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
there you go being all practical and such...

Steve Shafley
02-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm with the decentralized method.

Yael Grauer
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I like decentralized, too, as long as we get to post if someone steals our books. I can lend out Body Ecology Diet, Lights out and Sex Lies and Menopause (same authors of Lights Out). Also these videos: Pride 10, Final Conflict, Marc Leiman, Ultimate Kickboxing Championships, Ultimate Fighter Season 1 Episodes 1, 3, 4,
UFC Revolution One, K1 Revenge, K-3, Tito Ortiz vs. Randy Couture, vs. Ken Shamrock, vs. Vitor, and a bunch of Guro Dan DVDs (escrima). Also my women's MMA DVDs when I get them back. I also have the Active Isolated Stretching DVD. Oh, and hippie stuff--a ton of books on herbal medicine, Chinese medicine, qi gong, etc. and Steve Wells CD-Roms (2 disks) on EFT and Peak Performance.

Nick Cummings
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I noticed someone was interested in the MD by Dipasqual or however you spell it. I have the book and would probably be willing to take the risk. I am very interested in reading something by Ross.

kevin mckay
02-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Haha I just realized I have over 30g of ebooks mosty sci-fi for any fellow nerds on the pm

kevin@home:/data/samba$ du -csh books/
33G books/

Allen Yeh
02-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Decentralized method works for me!

I have the following books:
Core Performance by Mark Vergensten
The New Rules of Lifting by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler
Tao of Jeet Kune Do By Bruce Lee

E-books that I also have print versions of all by Pavel T.:
Super Joints
Power to the People
Relax Into Stretch
The Russian KB Challenge

DVD:
Get Up by Dan John
The Art of Strength Providence by Anthony Digluia(sp?)

Mike ODonnell
02-22-2007, 04:21 PM
ok the interest is there...I'm in....too bad I usually read books and then pass them along or sell them....but I think I have some DVDs like of Chek and other expensive stuff (not sure I would send out the original but maybe a burned copy of it).....who the hell sets all this up now in an organized way? Or is it every man for himself?

This could be a huge thing....although like Greg said...like I dont have enough to do....

Dave Van Skike
02-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm down with the de-central version.

I think we might need at least a centralized library of who has what. Maybe a running thread or something? Checked out Jamila's suggestion but I am not sure I grok how it would work. I'm slow like that.

Jesse Woody
02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I say we, at the very least, need to start a separate thread where we list the titles that we have available, then we could manage requests, etc. through PM's on the site.

It might also be a good idea to set a time limit like a regular library...that way I don't have to go too long without opening up Starting Strength and re-learning everything I missed the first 15 times I read it!

Mike ODonnell
02-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Is there a way to lend out E-books without all the hastle of printing a copy and shipping? Or are we getting into that grey area?

Steve Shafley
02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Passing around ebooks is a *cough* gray area.

Steve Liberati
Here's an idea:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F&ltmpl=homepage&nui=1

Easy to set up and share. Not to mention, special access can be given for invitation only.

Ken Urakawa
Right on--let's get some Dewey decimels working! I've got some stuff I'd throw in there.

Mike ODonnell
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
and who works the PM library counter to make sure the books get returned on time? Not it.

Are there any programs out there that can keep a running inventory of books and locations....or are we opening small bookstores around the country to take care of it?

Might want to add a limit to how many can be checked out by a person...to prevent Ron from hogging them all.

Jamila Bey
02-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I think this Performance Menu Interlibrary Loan is a great idea. I'm not on Titletrader payroll or anything, so I'm not beholden to them... I just find their system works for me. The expectation there, however, is that you simply swap and not loan books. So there is no getting stuff back. So it probably wouldn't suit the "borrow then give back" idea running here.

To answer the question how TT works it's pretty simple.
1. List books/cds/magazines/etc.
2. Current trader requests something. You confirm that you'll send it and you get points for your item. (Let's say 2)
3. Current trader gets your book and leaves you positive feedback. You get 3 points PLUS however many points your book was worth.
4. You take your 5 points and request other items.
5. You get items and leave feedback for the other person.
Repeat at will. (You only get 3 added points on your 1st pos FB)

Scott Kustes
02-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Agree with Jamila...I think the idea here is that you are donating books to The PM Library. I have Starting Strength and it is going to serve as a reference book, so I won't be donating that one nor lending it out. I have the Zone books and will probably never look at them again. They are donated, if someone wants them, I'll ship them out and never expect it back. If I need it for some reason, I'll pay the shipping to have it sent back to me, although it isn't "my book" anymore. The key is to only donate books that you aren't planning to reread/reference often.

I'm glad everyone decided the decentralized model was best. Can you tell I'm in business? I figured Greg and Robb would most certainly be for decentralization. So are we going to use Title Trader or is Greg going to create a simple app that tracks what books are available? It will require everyone to keep updates on their inventory so it can be searched....this isn't a completely effort-free endeavor.

Billy_Brummel
02-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I can see this book club as being the beginning of the end of the PMenu. Someone's gonna keep a book too long, or their dog will chew it up and the owner will get all peeved. People will take sides, make accusations and all hell will break loose. This event will prove to be the Lexington and Concord of the Performance Menu Revolutionary War (or would it be more like the secession of South Carolina in the PMenu Civil War). And to think...I get to see history unfold.

Regardless, it sounds like a good idea right now, so I'm in. Who wants to be the first to borrow from my collection of political philosophy books? I'll even throw in my copy of "The Pokey Little Puppy" and the unforgettable DVD, "Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo". (Needless to say, I don't have much to offer in the way of fitness titles)

Greg Everett
02-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Passing around ebooks is a *cough* gray area.

Yes. There will be no PM-sanctioned E-book exchange.

Jesse Woody
02-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Mark and I had some issues with kids hosting copies of Ross Enamait's books and linking them on APK...it's a huge issue for those who choose to go the e-publishing route, as there are few people who will photocopy an entire book, though many that will have a permanent free copy of an e-book if they "borrow" a copy from a friend.

Billy, all joking aside, I'd love to borrow the copy of Breakin' 2, that's a classic that I haven't seen!

Greg Everett
02-23-2007, 11:37 AM
yes. there seems to be this common notion that if it's digital, it's free. bottom line is that whatever medium in which work is represented, it's still work, and the author still deserves his/her due. there's always going to be some sharing, as there is with print books, but formalizing that sharing in order to increase its volume is out of line.

is jean claude van damme in breakin 2 also?

Billy_Brummel
02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Jesse,

You've got first dibs on Breakin 2.

Greg,

No Jean Claude wearing a unitard in the sequel-much to my dismay.

Jamila Bey
02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Anyone got that urban gem of a masterpiece, "Beat Street?" For some reason, I can't seem to find that one anywhere...

But Shabba-Doo will definitely do if I can't get BS.

Ron Nelson
02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Ha! Billy lives in OC. I get over there and snag that copy of Breakin' before you suckers get your hands on it.

I do have ATHF, vol. I and II, but you'll have to fight my kids for the right to borrow either one.

"Gentlemen, behold. . ."

Jamila Bey
02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
You tryin' to trip?
I'll bring it to ya!

Mike ODonnell
02-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Next is the PM Employment pages....anyone want to hire an Irish trainer? Ha.

Pierre Auge
02-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Mike,

NO!:D

Billy_Brummel
02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I've always wanted to get my hands on a copy of beat street!! I had no idea that the Breakin DVD would prove this popular.

Allen Yeh
02-27-2007, 03:34 AM
So what was the final result from this?

I think everyone pretty much voted for the Decentralized method but are we doing a PM-condoned database where we can list our books here and such and have it indicate if it's checked out, how long it's been checked out...etc

Or are we going with Jamila's suggestion and titletrader.com?

Just curious because there are a lot of books that I'd love to read for the price of a littl shipping doesn't seem all that bad a deal.

Duration of checkout: 1 month by default? Unless otherwise arranged?

Jamila Bey
02-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Doods. Titletrader. It's fan-freakin-tastic.