PDA

View Full Version : 10x3 squat frequency

Eric Egan
07-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Im a week squater so I have desided to try the 10x3 for squats.My question is how often should I squat if I am squating last in My workout?

The rest of My workout will be O Lift based.

Thanks

Chris Butler
07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
If you are a "weak squatter" why are you squatting last in your workout?
I would squat 3x per week.

Eric Egan
07-18-2010, 08:33 PM
If you are a "weak squatter" why are you squatting last in your workout?
I would squat 3x per week.

so I can work on My technique on the other lifts.Im only going heavy on squats for a wile to bring them up.

Ill give 3x pr week a try as thats what I was hopeing to hear.

thanks for your reply

John Alston
07-19-2010, 06:21 AM
If your focus is o-lift, and those are going up, be aware you still might be getting stronger.
Can't tell how experienced you are from the post.
Anyway, here's a nice squat first program I got from Dan John who got from a Bulgarian... I have used with some success.
The days in () are the ones he used, but I did it on a MWF plan.

Anton Nikolov's Training
Monday (Sat)
Back Squats
Pulls

Wednesday (Mon)
Front Squats
Cleans
Snatchs
Pulls with Snatch Grip

Friday (Wed)
Back Squats
Jerks
Pulls with Clean Grip

This always drove my squat up and new PRs in the lifts usually followed. Not every day has to be heavy, esp the middle one, just warming up with FS does something.

Kevin Montgomery
07-19-2010, 01:39 PM
If your focus is o-lift, and those are going up, be aware you still might be getting stronger.
Anyway, here's a nice squat first program I got from Dan John who got from a Bulgarian... I have used with some success.

This always drove my squat up and new PRs in the lifts usually followed. Not every day has to be heavy, esp the middle one, just warming up with FS does something.

By chance are the set/reps/weight progression attached to this Dan John program?

John Alston
07-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Not that I saw. I did some 5x5 BS Monday, triples FS for a good warmup Wednesday but not really heavy, and whatever I felt up to Friday.

Eric Egan
07-19-2010, 10:49 PM
I just finished My first 10x3 workout.I used 75% of My 1RM and did it after light snatches and light 3 position cleans.I focused on form more then anything and motovating My workout partner to not quit on Me,lol

Im wrecked and cant wait to hit front squats on wednesday.

Todd Rehm
07-20-2010, 10:30 AM
What are your numbers for front and back squat, snatch, C&J, etc.

Saying "I'm a weak squatter" may mean "my back squat is 500# but I train with a bunch of geared powerlifters," or it may mean "my C&J is 100 kg and my back squat is 110kg". Those are completely different situations and will yield significantly different advice.

Eric Egan
07-20-2010, 06:08 PM
these were all done before a 4 month layoff and Im even weeker now lol

c&j 165
snatch 125
fs 185
bs 215
ohs 150

I was 165 when doing all these lifts and still am.When I first started working out again 2 weeks ago I had a lot of trouble back squating 165 and havnt maxed on anything els yet.

btw these numbers are all in pounds

Eric Egan
07-20-2010, 09:13 PM

what kind of pulls do you do on the first day?

Chris Butler
07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
When I first started working out again 2 weeks agoIf you are just getting back into it you have to expect that you won't be back at full strength yet.

Are you a "weak squatter" or temporarily de-conditioned?

Eric Egan
07-21-2010, 06:08 PM
If you are just getting back into it you have to expect that you won't be back at full strength yet.

Are you a "weak squatter" or temporarily de-conditioned?

Ive always been a week squater.Im going to front squat first today to see how that goes

Eric Egan
07-21-2010, 09:52 PM
thank you guys for the advice on squating first.I did front squats 10x3 and the weight felt to light so I added 10lbs and it was ok then I did 3 position snatches but kept the weight light (68% of my old 1rm) then did sigles on clean&jerks working up to 80% of My old 1rm then doing 3 sigles with that.friday Ill see how it goes with back squats.

Eric Egan
08-07-2010, 06:36 PM
update: I just did 10x3 with 175 last night then snatched 10 lbs less then My pr then clean&jerked 5 lbd less then my pr.Im hopeing for new prs on both o lifts next friday