PDA

View Full Version : Power snatch technique advice

Johan Simu
08-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I am a total newbie in the snatch, have only done it a few times. Trying to teach myself through the top down progression described in Harveys Explosive lifting for sports. So I started working from blocks(or well technically benches :D).

Here is a video of it from yesterday. I first hit a couple of reps of high pulls before trying the snatch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTSzk2nQpgI

Is there any large glaring error I can fix?

Johan Simu
08-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Every now and then during the second pull I hit my pelvis bone quite badly, is there any easy way to ensure this wont happen?

glennpendlay
08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
The best thing would be to shoot a video from a 45 degree angle so we can see what is happening with your hips and the bar.

Greg Chin
08-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Glenn's advice is the best for getting really specific info. But otherwise it's quite likely you're initiating the second pull a little too late, and/or slamming your hips into the bar. One way to avoid this is to practice drills that ingrain a pattern in your movement between the first and second pulls.

For sets of 10 you could try pull the bar from below your knees to just above the mid-thigh (in the range of where you should be starting the second pull). The focus here is to really concentrate on the path of the bar, so start with just 20kg before working up. If you're doing these right your quads should hate you.

Johan Simu
08-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks!

I will shoot a new video from a different angle.

Greg I will give that exercise a try today!

Johan Simu
08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Here is a new video. Best angle I could muster in my gym :) They felt a bit better today, didn't bash my pubic bone at all. First did a few reps of high pulls before every snatch to ingrain the vertical bar path into my head. When I just snatch without high pulling a few times before I tend to throw the bar out away from my body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBCu_mcCzGA

Blair Lowe
08-05-2010, 12:29 AM
I think I see an early arm bend issue starting to develop. I don't know why you are snatching with grips, but ok.

Johan Simu
08-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Thanks, is there any good drill that can be used to correct early arm bending? I have noticed it myself both when I clean and snatch but it seems so automatic that I am at loss on how to correct it.

I am not sure what you mean by snatching with grips? If you mean the straps its because the skin on my hands are completely torn, a bunch of calluses got ripped and even taped it hurts to much to grip without straps :)

Gant Grimes
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
For sets of 10...

WTF?

Every now and then during the second pull I hit my pelvis bone quite badly

They felt a bit better today, didn't bash my pubic bone at all.

Uhh...where are you hitting yourself?

Greg Everett
08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
quite a few things you will improve on over time, but some big ones -

first, you're too far forward on your feet. think of staying on your heels the whole time and let yourself extend on the toes naturally.

second, if you're hitting your pubic bone and pulling early with your arms, chances are you'll do better with a wider grip.

third, your upper back is super rounded. this looks like more of a lack of mobility than anything you're doing/not doing intentionally. but that will limit what you can do in the lifts - spend lots of time foam rolling and stretching so you can get fully extended.

finally, and probably most importantly, you need to be way more aggressive. it looks like you're not putting any effort into it at all - it's understandable to not be moving super fast when you're thinking about all the things you need to do, but try some reps without thinking and focus only on speed - you might be surprised how well they turn out.

Greg Chin
08-10-2010, 10:21 PM
WTF?

Yeah, 10s sound absurd in the context of weightlifting, but at least with this drill they seem to work. The drill corrected my pulling mechanics significantly as when I was first learning to Snatch I had this tendency of letting the bar get too far in-front of me on account of an inconsistent second pull.

For a few weeks every workout I warmed up with these using just the bar and sometimes up to 30-40kg.

glennpendlay
08-11-2010, 01:23 AM
The sets of 10 do sound odd, but this was a drill that Yurik Vardanian recommended, and recommended for multiple sets of 10, so I am very hesitant to dismiss it... but he did it from mid thigh to the top of the second pull, just a little different than what you are doing. It seemed to work for Norik.

Johan Simu
08-12-2010, 03:14 AM
quite a few things you will improve on over time, but some big ones -

first, you're too far forward on your feet. think of staying on your heels the whole time and let yourself extend on the toes naturally.

second, if you're hitting your pubic bone and pulling early with your arms, chances are you'll do better with a wider grip.

third, your upper back is super rounded. this looks like more of a lack of mobility than anything you're doing/not doing intentionally. but that will limit what you can do in the lifts - spend lots of time foam rolling and stretching so you can get fully extended.

finally, and probably most importantly, you need to be way more aggressive. it looks like you're not putting any effort into it at all - it's understandable to not be moving super fast when you're thinking about all the things you need to do, but try some reps without thinking and focus only on speed - you might be surprised how well they turn out.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

My upper back is a mess, to many years of benching with zero overhead work and zero stretching combined with 8+ hours sitting in front of a computer and I am hunched over like quasimodo. I foam roll it almost daily now but progress is staggeringly slow.

What stretches would you advice me to hit to lose up the area more?

I will try out the things you suggest and get back on how it feels!