PDA

View Full Version : O-Lifting in DC?

Michael Taylor
08-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Anyone know any good gyms in Washington D.C. for Olympic Lifting? I'm familiar with most of the crossfits, but don't really need the instruction (or the price). I move at the end of the month and would really like to keep training. Appreciate anyone's help.

-mjt

Donald Lee
08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's one:

http://balancegym.com/

DC is fairly large, so it'd be helpful if you were more specific on the area.

Steven Low
08-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Both Balance and Primal Fitness have dedicated Oly guys out of them,...

I'm sure there's some other gym that would too but I don't know any others. Maybe some of hte CF gyms but ehhh it's variable with them.

Patrick Donnelly
08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I know the Balance Gym just north of Dupont Circle metro has a good deal of weightlifting stuff; it's pretty much equipped like a CrossFit gym (plus two power racks and some other stuff), minus the CrossFitters. There are two other Balance Gyms in D.C. that I've never been too, so I can't say how well they're equipped.

There's also Fred Fialco's Capital Barbell Club, which runs out of CrossFit Bethesda twice a week, about half a mile from the Bethesda metro

Then there's my garage gym a mile from the College Park metro (have some personal training clients there, and have had people who train there individually), but that's getting to be a bit far away unless you live on the green line.

I know there's a guy named Bob Whelan who has a strongman gym in/near D.C., but don't know anything about him.

Allen Yeh
08-18-2010, 03:56 AM
If you are military, a federal worker or a contractor with a CAC badge there is the gym at Bolling AFB, equipped with bumpers barbells and a platform. That is where I was training primarily when I lived in the area.

I'll echo what everyone else said about Balance Gym in Dupont, it's a small place but has what you'll need.

I heard good things about a strongman place up in the Gaithersburg/Rockville area, always wanted to check it out but then we moved to SC.

Patrick Donnelly
08-18-2010, 04:40 AM
I heard good things about a strongman place up in the Gaithersburg/Rockville area, always wanted to check it out but then we moved to SC.
Supreme Sports: Performance & Training - I went to the open house a while back, and it was a very nice place, run by a husband and wife powerlifting couple. If you look them up on YouTube they have a good Q&A series too.

Allen Yeh
08-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Supreme Sports: Performance & Training - I went to the open house a while back, and it was a very nice place, run by a husband and wife powerlifting couple. If you look them up on YouTube they have a good Q&A series too.

That's the place.

Jesse Woody
08-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Hey Michael, here at Primal Fitness we run a barbell club that competes relatively frequently in both Olympic Weightlifting and Powerlifting. Our monthly dues for the club are $100, so it's significantly cheaper than any Crossfit options you may have in the area. You should definitely stop by whenever you get in town!

http://www.primal-fitness.com

Emily Mattes
08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
A friend of mine used the aforementioned Balance Gym at its Dupont Circle location (not for Oly lifting, but he liked doing CrossFit and weightlifting workouts) and was happy with it.

If you ever do need instruction and are willing to make the trip on the MARC train, check out South Baltimore CrossFit, they have a good Olympic lifting coach there.

Patrick Donnelly
08-19-2010, 04:38 AM
If you ever do need instruction and are willing to make the trip on the MARC train, check out South Baltimore CrossFit, they have a good Olympic lifting coach there.
Oh wow, Phil is working there. I met him a few times at the U. of MD weightlifting club, not to mention that he posts here from time to time. Hopefully he'll chime in on what SBCF has to offer.

There are also two weightlifting clubs in Baltimore - one run by Tim Guarino and the other by Mary Hyder (an awesome person).

Arien Malec
08-19-2010, 08:01 AM

I've heard good things about Manuel Buitrago who coaches there. I get into DC twice a month and have been meaning to get over there, but work always intervenes.

Emily Mattes
08-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Oh wow, Phil is working there. I met him a few times at the U. of MD weightlifting club, not to mention that he posts here from time to time. Hopefully he'll chime in on what SBCF has to offer.

Yes, I know Phil too! The coach I was referring to is John Filippini, he's an East Coast Gold member who has been coaching with Mary Hyder and moved over to SBCF to help them and other CF affiliates in the area with their Olympic lifting. He's relatively new to coaching but I would refer anybody looking to learn the lifts over to him, he's got a good eye and has been having some success with his own athletes.

Jim Bathurst
08-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Michael,

I've been a Trainer at Balance Gym for the past five years. Our first location just north of Dupont Circle (2200 California St NW, behind the church) has a dedicated platform, plus just about every other piece of equipment you'll need (rope, rings, kb's, tires, power racks, full bball court for sprints). Mike Choi teaches O-lifting several times a week here. Great resource.

We have a second location at 1111 14th st NW, Just south of Thomas Circle. That has a dedicated CrossFit facility, various O-lift coaches, and plenty of bars and bumpers.

Our third and newest location in Georgetown - 2121 Wisconsin Ave - has bumper plates. I am working my hardest to change the atmosphere in this gym and make it a quality training facility.

I also lift with Fred Fialco on Wednesday nights. Great spot and coaching.

Arien Malec
08-21-2010, 05:46 PM
We have a second location at 1111 14th st NW, Just south of Thomas Circle. That has a dedicated CrossFit facility, various O-lift coaches, and plenty of bars and bumpers.

And pole dancing!

Where are the platforms at the facility on 14th st? There was one downstairs on the main facility -- are there more in the xfit area?

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
08-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Anyone know of Oly-centric gyms in NoVA? I went to Patrick's garage a few times last year... but then moved on to a Starting Strength program (sorry Patrick!)

Ben Pollack
08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Anyone know of Oly-centric gyms in NoVA? I went to Patrick's garage a few times last year... but then moved on to a Starting Strength program (sorry Patrick!)

I've done a lot of searching and haven't found one closer than SSPT. Crossfit Fairfax is supposedly starting an OL club in September, though.

Patrick Donnelly
08-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Hell, I don't blame you for doing Starting Strength. In fact, it was probably a smart move. Just let me know if you ever want to come by to lift again though.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
08-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Hell, I don't blame you for doing Starting Strength. In fact, it was probably a smart move. Just let me know if you ever want to come by to lift again though.

I'll definitely take you up on that sometime. I still have your number.

I'm currently not doing much of an organized program right now. I'm trying to fix an imbalance in my shoulders that is preventing me from doing a front rack position (I complained about this on these forums quite awhile ago). Saw an ART chiro and he did some amazing stuff. So, I'm kind of just doing 1 main lift a day, with some of the "Neanderthal No More" stuff on the side.

Once I have a fairly respectable snatch, and can actually get a bar into the front rack, I'll call ya :)

Allen Yeh
08-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Back in my NOVA days of a year ago, I'd always have to venture into DC to get any Oly work in. Luckily for me my work was right next to Bolling AFB so I was able to take advantage of the bumpers and platform there.

Just looked around Goheavy and saw this thread, 2-3 places in NOVA that I hadn't heard of:

http://goheavy.com/forums/olympic/index.cgi/read/468782

Wish I had back when I still lived there.

Ben Pollack
08-27-2010, 04:15 PM
I talked to Joe at Prospect Sports a few months back. He said he was looking to get a group of serious lifters together and he'd let me know, but I never heard from him. He had a couple of quality double racks, bumpers, GHR, but no platform when I was there.