PDA

View Full Version : Grip for Pendlay Row

Giulio Pizzini
08-19-2010, 03:04 AM
I am a novice oly lifter and I'm using Pendlay rows to improve back strength.

I'm a bit unsure what grip spacing should I use (or maybe better put what are the trade-offs of different spacings).

Right now I'm using a grip right in the middle of a snatch grip and a clean grip, so quite a wide one which is what I thought Glenn was using showing the lift in some pictures I saw.

Any thoughts?

Allen Yeh
08-19-2010, 04:08 AM
Sounds about right, this is based a lot on your own body as I have long arms for my not as long body I found taking a grip like you described just about right.

I basically try taking a grip that is long enough that at the bottom of the movement I have to let the barbell drop to the ground rather than hitting the ground at the bottom.

Garrett Smith
08-19-2010, 05:54 AM
From what I understand, it's your snatch grip. That's what I use.

Also, to maintain my lumbar curve, I prop the bar up off of the ground by several inches (using plates or something else). Not everyone has to do this though.

Ben Moskowitz
08-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Check out this website:
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/

I just try to mirror Justin Brimhall there, hand and foot position, etc.

John Alston
08-19-2010, 07:09 AM
related tangent... I don't know if I have ever executed a good Pendlay row, but I have enjoyed nice strict - totally static back angle parallel to floor bb rows - before, and find using the underhand grip is a good flavor change, hits the rhomboids - middle back area really well.

Gant Grimes
08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Clean grip or very slightly wider.

Don't overthink it. This is a dynamic BB row where you keep your back flat and hit yourself in mid to upper belly.

Here is a picture I guarantee is 100% accurate on the grip.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/gantgrimes/IMG_0240-1.jpg

Ben Moskowitz
08-19-2010, 04:37 PM
who's pictured?

Gant Grimes
08-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Some dude I met at the gym. Seemed to know his stuff.

Garrett Smith
08-19-2010, 06:11 PM
I will be narrowing my grip then.

Gant Grimes
08-20-2010, 07:43 AM
He never actually specified grip; that's just where he grabbed it. He set me up with what amounted to my clean grip. The point of the exercise is to row a lot of weight fast (with your back in proper position). Too wide or too narrow will affect the amount of weight you can do, so settling near clean width makes sense.

Ben, that's Pendlay in the picture. Here's the finish (and the bar path since it's a phone pic).

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/gantgrimes/IMG_0242-1.jpg

Giulio Pizzini
08-21-2010, 08:40 AM
There is a video of Glenn doing the rows here

http://weightliftingepiphanies.blogspot.com/2010/07/fridays-flippant-schedule.html

glennpendlay
08-22-2010, 11:43 PM
That video shows it pretty well... except that I am simply demoing position with a light weight, when you are going heavy, your going to be doing them a lot more explosively than that, and more dropping on the way down than slowly lowering it like I was doing there. But that takes care of itself as the weight goes up.

The grip really isnt that important. I have done them with a variety of grips, whichever works for you is the right one. the one limit on grip is that you need to be in a position where your lower back is about parallel to the floor and your upper back is kind of rounded/relaxed when you start. That way you can pull your shoulders back and arch your mid and upper back as you pull, like you saw me doing in the video. The goal is to significantly arch the mid and upper back while you pull but have NO movement of the lower back or hip extension. Now in reality, thats hard to do perfectly, but try to do it, and if you stray too far away from it, your using too heavy of a weight.

One further thing, I think it is easier to get the "feel" of the thing with a wider grip. But once you get the feel of it you should be able to do it with several different grips and get it right.

Allen Yeh
08-23-2010, 03:23 AM
FWIW for any people that have long monkey arms like me, the other day I used 3 25's on each side due to my arms being a bit longer than they should be.