PDA

View Full Version : Box-squat off-season

Ivan Perez
08-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Hi guys,

My coach has been leave our team so we haven't coach and I'm determined to coach on my own

When I'm coming back to my holidays, I'm starting Sword's Squat Program to improve my squat ( I'm a weak squatter :( ), but a friend (in a spanish language forum) tell me about use box squat program instead. I surfing the web and I read about it so I'm sure to use full squat (and Sword's program this time) with oly lift.

But, could be good idea use box squat off-season to increase me posterior chain strenght and squat performance?

Thanks in advance and regards from Spain

Iván

Will Peterson
08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Ivan,

I have found that box squats have their place. For some athletes, they can be of great benefit in the development of a solid squat.

That being said, I would look more toward deadlifts for posterior chain development. For too many (esp self coached) weightlifters, box squats can train the sitting back instead of sitting down.

In the place of box squats, you should give some thought to squatting with a pause at the bottom. This pause will remove the stretch reflex much like a box while reinforcing good squat form.

Ivan Perez
08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for your reply Will

When I was searched about Box Squat for O lifter I read about pause squat. After Sword's program I'll try squat 3 days/ week using pause squat... or could be too?

Last question about pause squat... it use 20 to 30% less that squat, doesn't it?

Regards