PDA

View Full Version : Coach says i need a bigger heel.

Hugh Gilmore
08-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi I have been lifting for a while but more importantly been lifting badly. i had a bit of coaching for a two months about a two years ago and have been getting coached the last three weeks by the one of the national coaches here in Ireland,

The general consensus is that i am inflexible in the calf's and it hinders me in the bottom position of the snatch and clean as well as squats I also have a great deal of pain in the hip flexors as well. (This also happened during a ss cycle.)

i lift in a pair of rogues the coach says i need to get a bigger heel in to help me i have lifted in another lifters shoes that had been altered and have a 1.5 inch heel or more and found it helped reduce hip pain and attain a better position.

my question is does anyone make a shoe with a 1.5 heel or a custom heel?

also while i am working on my flexibility is this a fact that some people just are not going to ever get that level of flexibility.
Im quite tall at 6ft aswell i don't know if that effects it.

Thanks for any answers.

hugh

Wayne Riddle
08-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Highest heel I've seen in those limited places I looked was 1.25".

Hugh Gilmore
08-21-2010, 07:55 AM
where and what type of shoe was it? thanks for the reply

Donald Lee
08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
I think the latest VS Athletics have a 1.5'' heel.

Wayne Riddle
08-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I was looking on Again Faster (http://www.againfaster.com/weightlifting-shoes/).

Denver Buchanan
08-22-2010, 11:30 PM
I also had very poor flexibility in the ankle/calf. I found that a slightly higher heel did help, I'm currently training in the Risto shoe. I really like it. The heel height varies with size, so basically the angle is the same regardless of your shoe size. In some other shoes, the larger your shoe size... the less the angle becomes.

That being said, you're going to have to start doing some ankle flexibility work as well. I had to do quite a bit of it, and still do.

Hugh Gilmore
08-23-2010, 03:03 AM
Guys thanks so much for all the info, im pretty annoyed that i have to buy another pair as im broke .

Denver good to hear im not alone with this problem.
Did you also have sore hip flexors as well as a result of being inflexible in the calf or are the two problems unrelated?

Thanks everyone.

glennpendlay
08-23-2010, 03:39 AM
should cost about $25 to have a cobbler add a bit to the heal, cheaper than buying another pair at any rate...

I would suggest going to a boot place, they tend to be the best.

garrett stack
08-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Hugh
James Fleming from the IAWLA sells the old style dowins for about 70 I think. If you dont know who he is your coach should if not pm me.

I have a pair of the old style blue suede dowins and i think the heel is a little over 1.25 inches which is about as big as your going to get without having them altered etc.

On the hip flexors it may help to have someone stretch them for you ,I know it certainly helped me and was a lot easier to maintain the flexibility afterwards.

hope that was of some use .

Will Peterson
08-23-2010, 07:55 AM
I am using the Risto shoes as well, and they have a fairly middle of the road heel height. I have a pair of the originals and a pair of the "white thunder" and the heels measure out just about the same. The nice thing about Risto though is that you can have a custom pair made. Costs less than a pair of Adidas but the wait is pretty long and variable.

Steven Low
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
I would still work on your ankle/hip mobility in the meantime.

Hugh Gilmore
08-24-2010, 03:21 AM
thanks for all your replys, I am very grateful.

i am continually working on my hip and ankle mobility and it has actually improved drastically but still using the other shoes with a excessive heel makes it much better.

think i will go with the cobbler and see how it goes,

thanks again everyone,

Robbie Bremner
08-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Good to see the Irish lads on here. I have flat feet and have recently invested in purpose made insoles. They are helping my posture in normal day to day life but when I tried them in my adidas ironworks they just didn't fit appropriately and my body was all over the place.

Has anyone tried this? and had the same experiences? I'm thinking of investing in some adidas adistars but want to use my insoles in them, which may not work as with the ironworks. Anyone have any advice on a good pair of shoes?

I need to persist with the insoles in my training as it does improve my posture, which is my major weakness. Any general advice in this area?

As with yourself Hugh the shoes are expensive, therefore buying a new pair is not a necessity if a cobbler can work some magic.

Cheers Robbie

Hugh Gilmore
08-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Took then to 3 cobblers in belfast, the third knew they were weightlifting shoes and said he had raised heels for guys with one short leg.

Robbie best advice i can give from todays experience is go with shoes and orthotics to cobbler and chat then go to another one untill one knows what your on about,

just a thought-- I would assume that the two models fit the same as they are both addidas so might not be wise to splash out unless you can try before you buy.

also your tag line suggests that you work for the adult film industry

Denver Buchanan
08-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Did you also have sore hip flexors as well as a result of being inflexible in the calf or are the two problems unrelated?

Hard to say exactly, but I will say that quite often when you have one area of inflexibility you'll notice soreness/injury in other related parts. So if you have inflexible ankles, you'll eventually notice some type of overuse/injury in the knee and/or hip.