PDA

View Full Version : Wrist/Thumb pain help

Bryan T
08-22-2010, 08:50 AM
My right wrist has some problems. I didn't really notice it until I started snatching, at the end position with weight overhead I can feel it. I realized it is from work not from olympic lifting because I was off for two weeks and had a very heavy work week and testing out some wrist flexibility it was really hurting. At work I lift paper all day so I have to do most of the lifting "pinching" the paper stacks, almost like lifting a weightlifting plate with just your thumb and middle finger which some people do for grip strength. If I get in a narrow pushup position it is very painful to get my right palm to stay flush with the ground, the pain is mostly on the thumb side.

Can I fix this with some stretching in my wrists? Anyone have any recommendation for stretches and how often a week? Thanks.

Ben Moskowitz
08-23-2010, 07:43 AM
My right wrist has some problems. I didn't really notice it until I started snatching, at the end position with weight overhead I can feel it. I realized it is from work not from olympic lifting because I was off for two weeks and had a very heavy work week and testing out some wrist flexibility it was really hurting. At work I lift paper all day so I have to do most of the lifting "pinching" the paper stacks, almost like lifting a weightlifting plate with just your thumb and middle finger which some people do for grip strength. If I get in a narrow pushup position it is very painful to get my right palm to stay flush with the ground, the pain is mostly on the thumb side.

Can I fix this with some stretching in my wrists? Anyone have any recommendation for stretches and how often a week? Thanks.

I would see a doctor/physical therapist to see what the problem is. In the meantime I would recommend ice and stretching wrist flexion, extension, and your thumb, but only if there's no pain.

I would do whatever your doctor/PT tells you, but I will tell you that I did the following stretches 30 sec. each, 5 times a day to regain ROM after breaking my scaphoid:

wrist extension with elbow extended and fingers pointing to the sky
wrist flexion with elbow extended and making a fist
wrist extension with elbow extended and fingers pointing down (lateral rotation)

I stretched one hand with the other. This was only part of the program, but those were the stretches. I pretty much regained full ROM, improving 15*-20* per articulation (I think). Ulnar and radial deviation improved as well.

Steven Low
08-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Get it checked out.

Generally, pain on the thumb side of the wrist isn't good.. tends to mean scaphoid. Scaphoid stuff is notoriously slow healing.

Rolando Rodriguez
08-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Get an MRI done so you at least know what you're dealing with. That having been said, a personal story that may be of interest:

I've been dealing, for about a year, with tenosynovitis and tendinitis in the 2nd and 3rd dorsal wrist compartments. The tenosynovitis seemed to go away fine with just rest, but something was keeping the tendinitis from recurring (for reference, this is the particular muscle/tendon involved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Extensor_pollicis_longus_muscle.png)

One day I was watching WL vids and noticed something about thumb placement. Most lifters seem to naturally put their thumb over their index/middle fingers at the end of the jerk (that is, they set up their hands like they're punching). *I* tended to pull my thumb away from my fingers and against the bar. This was placing extra strain on that tendon in the jerk and to a lesser extent in the snatch, especially at max weights.

Noticing this I started focusing on keeping my thumb in a more natural position during the lifts, and my pain has greatly reduced and I no longer worry about hurting the area again while lifting heavy. Mainly I've focused on getting my thumb set up over my fingers in the rack position, so that any temptation to pull the thumb back is avoided.

Your pain sounds very much like mine: pain on the thumb side, especially with the wrist extended as in pushups. The stretches Ben mentioned are ones I've done and that have helped, especially the 2nd one when done between sets. Another exercise that helped greatly was the "wrist pushup", as done here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeL0AYygiY. Don't be ashamed to start these on your knees and slowly move the legs back to progress.

Hope this helps!

Ben Moskowitz
08-31-2010, 03:48 AM
You might also want to check out the girl punch stretch to loosen up the tissues on the radial side and also stretching the thumb directly, perhaps while stretching the wrist flexors. Check out these two posts by Greg E:
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6703&postcount=4
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7018&postcount=9

How are things coming? Diagnosis?

Bryan T
09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I sort have just dealt with the pain for the past three weeks but now I'm concerned about it more. The reason is because my coach thinks I miss many lifts behind me because the bar is not setting right because my wrists are not in full flexion palms up when the lift is complete. So I have been going light lately and catching the snatch then tunring my wrists up where they should be. No pain during lifting which is nice, only pain occurs when I try to do a pushup. I ice after every workout

As of now I'm going to do daily stretches like you recommended. I'm worried my right wrists would become flexible enough due to the injury. If that becomes the case then I'm going to get an MRI.

dang that girl punch stretch feels good!