PDA

View Full Version : Numb Hands, shouldering "tingling"

Troy Kerr
08-28-2010, 06:37 AM
In the past a few clients at my affiliate have complained of hands going numb during overhead exercises, but reported no numbess a few hours post-wod. However last night a client complained that yesterday and the previous days wods caused some "tingling"/numbess from the back of her shoulder, through her triceps, down to her hand. She has previously stepped up from twice a week, to five days a week for crossfit classes. Our programming follows a strength bias, with 10-12 minute metcons 4 days a week, and 2 other shortert metcons on the non-lift days.
I had her foam roll her lats, pecs, and also stretch them lightly. Went over the benefits of foam rolling/ massage with tennis or lacrosse balls. Her lats were very sensative to the foam rolling as I beleive it was her first exposure to them. She also said that the " Over and backs' from the CA warm-up cause her shoulder pain. For those of you that don't know, or if I have used the wrong name, this is where you swing your arms vertically in an attemp to touch your upper back.

Has anyone ever occured anything like this?

Thanks for your time

Dave Van Skike
08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
She has previously stepped up from twice a week, to five days a week for crossfit classes. Our programming follows a strength bias, with 10-12 minute metcons 4 days a week, and 2 other shorter metcons on the non-lift days.

Sounds like brachial nerve impingment.

Garrett Smith
08-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Sounds like brachial nerve impingment.
Sounds about right. Do whatever you can to get her to work on thoracic extension and maybe some ideas for foam rolling or self massage can be found here (http://ezinearticles.com/?Nerve-Impingement---Brachial-Plexus-%28Shoulder-Arm-Complex%29-And-Lumbar---Sacral-Complex&id=472659).

Doing high reps of things which cause this numbness to happen are a bad idea. Her assignment during workouts should be reps of things that help to correct this problem.

Steven Low
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Some targetted massage to scalenes would probably help... as well as loosening up everything from the neck down to the arm.

And nerve glides.