PDA

View Full Version : MobilityWOD brought to you by Kstar

Allen Yeh
08-28-2010, 08:50 AM
http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

Check this out, very cool blog, 10 minutes of mobility stuff everyday, it just started last week.

Jarod Barker
08-28-2010, 09:32 AM
I just did the first one yesterday, the hold a squat for 10 minutes. That sucked. I was fine the first 5 minutes or so, and then the pain started, and I had to keep getting up and stretching out to get my low back to quit screaming at me.

I believe KStar once said to me, "that burning pain you're feeling in your hip right now is you getting better at everything."

Chris Forbis
08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice.

Allen Yeh
08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Everyone should check this one out from today:
http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-will-bend-like-reed-in-wind-episode-9.html

Never realized how unbalanced my shoulders were did this test and realized quickly...

Thumbs straight forward, ribcage anchored, arms up overhead in pure flexion as far as you can go.

after the mob they were about equal and the ROM was much improved...this one is definitely a keeper.

Garrett Smith
08-31-2010, 03:41 PM
I just did the first one yesterday, the hold a squat for 10 minutes. That sucked. I was fine the first 5 minutes or so, and then the pain started, and I had to keep getting up and stretching out to get my low back to quit screaming at me.

I believe KStar once said to me, "that burning pain you're feeling in your hip right now is you getting better at everything."
Don't do the pain face. That's bad, mmmmkay? Note how he constantly talks about no face. Sound familiar?

Jarod Barker
09-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Don't do the pain face. That's bad, mmmmkay? Note how he constantly talks about no face. Sound familiar?

Hahaha, I was trying to do it without any pain, honest! My stupid lower back was just in disagreement with my head.

Jarod Barker
09-04-2010, 08:37 AM
I repeated it though, and the second time through, no pain, no trouble staying down, nothing. I just sat there for 10 minutes and was like, "what? Why was this hard the first time?"

Ben Moskowitz
09-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Sound familiar?

???

Garrett Smith
09-05-2010, 10:16 AM
???
Sorry to leave you out of that one Ben (and everyone else), that's from Chad and my conversation on the phone about his own training.

Jarod Barker
09-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Sorry to leave you out of that one Ben (and everyone else), that's from Chad and my conversation on the phone about his own training.

I make ugly faces when I wash dishes too. Can I put you on the phone with my girlfriend so you can explain to her that I can't wash dishes anymore either?

Steve Shafley
09-10-2010, 06:06 AM
I want to slap the grin off that fuckers face after some of that shit. But, good stuff.

Garrett Smith
09-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Yeah, instead of 5-6 minutes long, I'd like to see the fat trimmed down to 2-3 minutes.

Allen Yeh
09-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I want to slap the grin off that fuckers face after some of that shit. But, good stuff.

that shoulder lacrosse ball arm moving thing was awful....

Arien Malec
09-10-2010, 09:56 AM

If you spell awful "AWESOME" -- I was having some shoulder soreness that went away after a session.

Dave Van Skike
09-10-2010, 10:00 AM
i find myself saving a lot of these vid's...damn useful guidance

Allen Yeh
09-10-2010, 07:46 PM
i find myself saving a lot of these vid's...damn useful guidance

good idea...wish I'd thought of it!

Kevin Perry
09-10-2010, 07:59 PM

I've been doing this thing for a while now since a guy showed it to me about a month or two ago, it's made a HOOOOOGE difference in how the shoulders feel.

Allen Yeh
09-11-2010, 06:17 AM
I just can't bring my arm to my ear......I'm trying to keep the "zen" no pain face but trying to bring my arm up is just too much.....tried again last night for a min each side. Kind of interesting how the different sides have different hotspots/sticking points.

Garrett Smith
09-11-2010, 08:08 AM
good idea...wish I'd thought of it!
The videos are all on the same YouTube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit

Allen Yeh
09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Just started downloading them last night.

Derek Weaver
09-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I suck at youtube. How do you download the videos?

Allen Yeh
09-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Either you can use http://keepvid.com/ or get a browser extension that allows you to save online videos. I'm using youtube downloader for google chrome.

Frank Needham
09-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Allen, thanks for starting this thread. I've been paying much more attention now to what is happening with my hips from sitting all flippin' day at work. Getting them loose again is going to be a long term deal but at least its getting done.

Chris Forbis
09-12-2010, 06:47 AM

Which day was this? I got behind and don't have time to catch up by watching them all.

Arien Malec
09-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Which day was this? I got behind and don't have time to catch up by watching them all.
http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010/09/free-your-scap-free-your-mind.html

Jack Hunckler
09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Allen, thanks for starting this thread. I've been paying much more attention now to what is happening with my hips from sitting all flippin' day at work. Getting them loose again is going to be a long term deal but at least its getting done.

I ditto Frank's comment. The video is cool . . . and challenging. The first time through is definitely painful. The second and third tries, I knew I was undoing the damage done by my sedentary job.

Thanks,

:cool: Mephisto (http://www.shoestores.com)

Allen Yeh
09-12-2010, 02:47 PM

I've done it 3 total times since it was posted and while it is getting less awful it is still awful.

Jarod Barker
09-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I've done it 3 total times since it was posted and while it is getting less awful it is still awful.

For me, any quad stretching is difficult and painful. I can't even hold a quad stretch for 30 seconds without having to take breaks. However, much like your shoulder. I have noticed that repeating the stretch often seems much less awful than previous attempts, so it's obviously working. It's just hard to reverse years of abuse in a few sessions.

Steve Shafley
09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
This one sucked completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-Vvk7QMNk

Allen Yeh
09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
For me, any quad stretching is difficult and painful. I can't even hold a quad stretch for 30 seconds without having to take breaks. However, much like your shoulder. I have noticed that repeating the stretch often seems much less awful than previous attempts, so it's obviously working. It's just hard to reverse years of abuse in a few sessions.

The quad stretching part is fine, even my hip wasn't too terrible but i get pain in mny left knee...i know it's something but no clue what.

Derek Simonds
09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
This one sucked completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-Vvk7QMNk

Yep I agree completely. When I did the lying variant I couldn't keep my elbows together no matter what I tried. The part where you put your arms under your body did nothing for me though. When I did the test lying down my right arm just will not go past about 60 degrees without shoulder movement. Ridiculously small amount of internal rotation in that shoulder. Guess I know what my goat is now.

Allen Yeh
09-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Holding the bar like that sucked, that was a long 4 minutes and my elbows kept coming apart.

The thing with the hands behind back wasn't too bad? It was basically a glute bridge with shoulders back, and then placing the hands behind the back, then lowering down?

Derek Simonds
09-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Holding the bar like that sucked, that was a long 4 minutes and my elbows kept coming apart.

The thing with the hands behind back wasn't too bad? It was basically a glute bridge with shoulders back, and then placing the hands behind the back, then lowering down?

That is how I did it. Didn't seem to feel it in the shoulders at all though. I will revisit along with trying some more internal rotation stuff.

Garrett Smith
09-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Regarding that shoulder rotation day.

I do DeFranco's Simple Six often, which involves the sleeper stretch (internal rotation). I had no problem with the hands-behind-back supine stretch (I do wish there were names for these things!) at all.

The external rotation + extension stretch, now that's a whole different animal. Makes me want to switch out the sleeper stretch for that one.

Actually, I'm feeling like Kstar has some really good alternatives or substitutes that I'm going to use in the Agile 8 and Simple Six (like the sideways foam rolling rather than the longways).

Derek Simonds
09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
I agree Garrett. I tested using the lying sleeper stretch on my right shoulder yesterday and I just have very limited internal rotation for some reason. To move past 60 degrees requires my shoulder to move which is obviously a big no-no. I am going to work aggressively on this area and see what happens.

Blair Lowe
09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
I know as well from Kstar's lying internal/external shoulder rotation that my external rotation is actually fine but my internal is lacking and needs 15-30 more degrees.

I've seen something similar to that internal shoulder rotation stretch but it was standing instead of sitting and maybe the glute bridge version cranks on it more. I didn't get much out of the standing version.

Garrett Smith
09-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I agree Garrett. I tested using the lying sleeper stretch on my right shoulder yesterday and I just have very limited internal rotation for some reason. To move past 60 degrees requires my shoulder to move which is obviously a big no-no. I am going to work aggressively on this area and see what happens.
Derek, my right arm is more limited in IR than my left, right also has more ER ROM. Right arm is my throwing arm from baseball. I'd guess that's the big difference, I think I've read in Cressey's stuff that this is the pattern.

Steven Low
09-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Throwing arm is always more IR limited (aka sleeper stretch), because you are used to winding up for pitches putting you in extreme ER, and ERs help decelerate arm after/during the throw which without proper stretching will make it tight.

Try to stabilize both arms to the same ROM. If you're right handed it tends to mean stretching ER with left, and IR with right. You're probably fine if you get within about 70-80 degrees of IR, and 80-90 with ER. If you're a bit off and have no pain I wouldn't worry about it much at all.

Capsular tightness may explain some..

Garrett Smith
09-18-2010, 06:55 AM
That one stretch he did on the strongman day, where one leg was in deep flexion on a high table and the other leg was dangling straight down?

My suggestion is to not do that before back squats. My S/I joints felt strange (almost "unstable") when I did a minute of this each side before my squat sets last week. I did some more of this stretch afterwards, and everything was fine.

Derek Simonds
09-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Derek, my right arm is more limited in IR than my left, right also has more ER ROM. Right arm is my throwing arm from baseball. I'd guess that's the big difference, I think I've read in Cressey's stuff that this is the pattern.

Really good points Garrett and Steven. I have great ER on the right and limited IR. Never would have put those two together with throwing.

Derek Simonds
09-18-2010, 07:36 AM
And for the Mwod on Saturday I think I was doing the stretch correctly for the upper hammies but I really couldn't see what Kstar was doing. Any input or directions from anyone?

Patrick Donnelly
09-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Wait, so are these videos actually any good? I watched one of them with this thread was first posted, and it started off with him recording himself as he rode down the street on a skateboard like a douchebag, then went off into some rant about pain caves and totem animals. It didn't make the slightest bit of sense to me, so I didn't wast my time with any of the others. Was that one just an anomaly?

Garrett Smith
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
If I were you, I'd watch some more of them. There's a bit of Kstar hamming it up, and a lot of good stuff to gain.

Steven Low
09-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Wait, so are these videos actually any good? I watched one of them with this thread was first posted, and it started off with him recording himself as he rode down the street on a skateboard like a douchebag, then went off into some rant about pain caves and totem animals. It didn't make the slightest bit of sense to me, so I didn't wast my time with any of the others. Was that one just an anomaly?
LOL, like I told you last week most of them are pretty good. I know a bunch of the stuff already, but there is some new ones I'm learning... and if I'm learning then you probably would be too.

Steven Low
09-19-2010, 12:11 PM
And for the Mwod on Saturday I think I was doing the stretch correctly for the upper hammies but I really couldn't see what Kstar was doing. Any input or directions from anyone?
Move the foot out further, and squeeze the glutes and it will target stretch the hammies closer to the butt.

It's if you tension at the knee first then it tends to hit more towards the knee.

Derek Simonds
09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Move the foot out further, and squeeze the glutes and it will target stretch the hammies closer to the butt.

It's if you tension at the knee first then it tends to hit more towards the knee.

Thanks. I was definitely applying tension at my knee first.

Steven Low
09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks. I was definitely applying tension at my knee first.
Something to keep in mind for other muscles that cross multiple joints (such as lats, gastroc in the calves, biceps, etc.).

Steve Shafley
10-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I like these a lot, except the one where he defends the sumo deadlift high pull. Dallas Hartwig's take on this movement is the correct one, rather than Starrett toeing the Crossfit HQ line.

You can find extensive pictures and video of the SDHP online, and unless you get lucky, every single one of the pictures or the videos will display that forward shoulder position.

This, the inappropriate rx'ing of the kipping pull up, and the general stupidity seen when most people do the thruster are the genesis of probably 95% of the injuries caused while doing "Crossfit".

Allen Yeh
10-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I thought the SDHP was a weird one was well especially since the Whole9 post.

Steven Low
10-09-2010, 12:03 PM
SDHP is TERRIBLE. Even moreso than the thruster IMO.

Allen Yeh
10-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I hate the couch stretch, so much. My left hip I cant even get my torso upright.

Steve Shafley
10-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Hah! I get one side opening up in the couch stretch, but the other side is tighter.

Kyle Collins
10-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Just started these. I had a ton of trouble just doing the first one, getting 10 minutes in the full squat. I had to do it in 30 second to 1 minute increments, My knees felt really stiff upon standing, and it kinda hurt a little bit being in the position. Not real pain, like stiff kinda pain. Balance wasn't a big issue, just generally really uncomfortable.

After doing the first 3 in a row, I felt like I was standing up straighter and walking with my torso further back.. if that makes any sense. Even measured myself because I was feeling taller.

Chris Forbis
10-14-2010, 04:24 AM
This one (the last one) is a cruel fucking joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nWPeyDfNM

I can't even get close enough to the starting position to figure out what it is that is tight and needs to be worked on. This is the first time out of the first 26 episdoes that I have had this kind of issue with.

Does anybody have any suggestions on easier stretches I could start with and progress from?

Arien Malec
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Issue #75:

Spewing humor, large amounts of pain, addresses a key problem. May just be the best MobilityWod yet.

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010/11/episode-75-your-inside-psoas-bits-world.html

Mark Fenner
11-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Just want to throw out: I've worked my way up to MobWOD #50. The shear amount you can learn if you pay attention to these (and aren't already an AT, PT, etc.) is amazing: both in "book" terms and in "personal" terms.

You definitely get a theory and a perspective with which to attack your issues.

You also log "a lot" (ok, some) time working on all your bits and finding out what's good, what's bad, and what's ugly. Yeah, that joint lock that went too far 10 years ago? Uh huh. That one. There you go, welcome back.

Also, I've found that the 2nd and 3rd times hitting some of the positions (esp. if they didn't feel "right" the first time around) have been very productive. There's definitely an "aha" that happens from hitting them again.

I think my biggest take away message is that the old martial arts warm-up, 10 second count method of stretching isn't what we should be doing.

Best,
Mark

Garrett Smith
11-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I just had an interesting experience. The back of my left knee started giving me some grief in the last couple days. Did some basic topical stuff, NBD, some anti-inflammatory stuff, whatever, even started wearing my Kono knee sleeve a bit today (helps remind me to take it easy on the knee).

Then I thought about the upstream-downstream idea I got from the mWOD. I've been doing all the hamstring/quad/ITB/hip flexor stuff, so I was pretty sure above the knee wasn't the issue. I have a ton of "business" in my left calf, particularly on the medial side where I have torn it before. Just did a bunch of stretching, foam roll, lacrosse ball, and soft tissue work on the calf (since the other stuff didn't seem to be working).

I got up from the floor and I think I solved the problem for the time being. Sweet.

Yael Grauer
11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Do these videos build on one another, or are they randomized CF style?

Arien Malec
11-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Neither, I think. Instead, there are a core set of movement patterns that KStar seems to hit in different ways over time. It's not "calves today, nose tomorrow", and not 15 different ways to address issue #1, followed by 15 different ways to address issue #2.

Garrett Smith
11-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I see no pattern. Some days it is oriented around the CF WOD, some days around how KStar is feeling, some days dealing with issues that people post questions on.

Definitely hitting common issues pretty often. T-spine extension, hip flexor stuff, calves, hams, etc.

Comparisons to CF mainpage, IMO:

The mWODs quickly got longer than the initially stated 10 min. (ie. "20 min. metcons", remember that?) in duration.
Seems about as pseudo-random as the mainpage CF WODs. The same or similar exercises keep popping up in different combinations.
No advice really provided about how to program this stuff in, so it keeps people somewhat dependent.

I find it useful so that I don't fall in a "comfort" rut, and I've taken pieces of it and changed some of the things I used to do in DeFranco's Agile 8 or Simple 6 in my warm-up prehab.

Yael Grauer
11-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Good to know, I'll just check it out whenever I feel like it then instead of trying to do it every day.

I have individualized pre-hab based on my dysfunction patterns but it's always nice to mess around and see what else hurts or I can't do. :D

Chris Forbis
11-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I run 4 weeks behind schedule and hit every one. I just mess around with the movements and rarely hit the prescribed time on each one. Mostly I am just looking for things that "get into my business" in a painfully awesome way. I take the ones that are problem areas (hips, mostly) and revisit them on my own.

The videos are somewhat useful for things he talks about beyond just the stretches for the day.

Mark Fenner
11-07-2010, 05:47 AM
The mWODs quickly got longer than the initially stated 10 min. (ie. "20 min. metcons", remember that?) in duration.

I think this partially has to do with how much "stuff/bits/business" you have going on. I can easily (out of necessity) take most of the time periods up to 3+ minutes. When there are 5 items, left and right: that gives like 30 minutes. But, if you do 1 minute a piece, you're at 10 minutes.

No advice really provided about how to program this stuff in, so it keeps people somewhat dependent.

I can see the thought; for me, I've learned enough (over the first 50 sessions) that I can deal with most of the muscles/joints that give me trouble. I could use a few more hip tools.

I think programming this stuff is pretty simple: do you hurt? are you tight? Do stuff. How much stuff? Use as much time as you have available and spend at least 2 minutes on each "tender bit". Do the worst bit first. Repeat until you run out of time. What stuff? As you saw yourself, you can get a lot of progress by giving an injury "slack" from above and below.

Of course, if you are injured, go see a medical professional.

Good to know, I'll just check it out whenever I feel like it then instead of trying to do it every day.

I don't do it daily, but when I do it, I do 3-5 sessions. I've just been working through from the beginning. I've built a decent toolbox over the years. However (1) I rarely have motivation to use it, even if I'm hurting, stiff, sore, etc. and (2) some of my tools are based on outdated information. Thus, I find following MobWOD (in addition to some daily things I do for my own issues) is a net improvement for me.

And, I'm building up my toolbox: time of stretch, use of distraction to stretch, targeted rolling with small ball (as opposed to less targeted rolling with foam roller), tension-loading pattern bias, rotational bias, hunting, contract-relax (actually doing it, as opposed to reading about it).

Good grief: Mark == "fanboy". *sigh*

Best,
Mark

Garrett Smith
11-08-2010, 08:00 AM
I also like taking 3-4 days of mWODs and doing them together in a longer session on my days off, a sort of "yoga class for my business".

This usually happens because I'm that many days behind on watching them, and I have a prehab routine that I'm already doing before my lifting days...so I'm always guaranteed to get my mobility stuff in and have extra stuff in my pocket for the off days or deload weeks.

I've also found that doing the mWODs in small chunks between sets of heavy lifting hasn't negatively impacted my lifting in the slightest.

Collin O'Neill
12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Kevin made the comment in today's mwod that he would guess most people can do more pullups than chinups.

I have *always* been able to do more chins than pulls, no contest. I also revert to them when I am doing high rep chins/pulls. While I try to keep them equal, it sometimes just seems easier to do a chin up.

Anyone else in this boat?

Allen Yeh
12-03-2010, 03:09 AM
I used to be pullups over chin ups but lately that number seems to have been reversed...very bizarre to me.

Garrett Smith
12-03-2010, 05:13 AM
I think most people can initially do more chins than pullups due to:
Better ability to use their biceps
Lack of activation of their lats

I think I'm around even now...but I've also been training weighted chins.

Steven Low
12-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm lat dominant and can do more chins than pulls.

I think it's in general more what you're used to

Jae Chung
12-03-2010, 01:37 PM
I thought it was a given that chins were easier than pulls for most people... I guess there's more individual variation than I thought?

Steven Low
12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
As far as I'm concerned it's generally what you practice more and how you practice them

It also depends on which variation of pullups you're doing. If you do wide elbows or elbow tucked in makes a big difference.

Chinups you can't flare the elbows out so there's only one set method of doing them.