PDA

View Full Version : ORganic eggs versus eggs

Jonathan Silverman
08-28-2010, 10:09 AM
There is no real reason to buy organic eggs right?

Jarod Barker
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Organic eggs? No, not really. Omega-3 eggs? Yes.

Chris Butler
08-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Omega-3 eggs? Yes.Free Range? Yes

Arien Malec
09-01-2010, 05:04 AM
Free Range? Yes

Free range is often a bit of a joke, but slightly better than non free range. Organic ensures your chickens are free range, fed with organic feed, and a couple other non-essential things.

Pastured is your best bet from both a nutrition and health perspective, but far more pricey ($8/doz).

Seems expensive, until you realize that <$2 eggs means:

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/08/30/fda-egg-farm-inspection-reports-include-rodents-flies-8-foot-high-manure-pile/

Jarod Barker
09-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Hmmm, I've never had access to free range. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen them at the store. I usually just look for Eggland's Best Omega-3 eggs. I'm sure they're not the "best" choice, but they're they best I have available.

As for organic, I keep seeing more and more criticism of "organic" foods. It would be great if organic really meant organic, but apparently it's not very hard to get that label, and the methods are not always ideal. Still, I suppose it's better than just buying the conventional store brand.

Brian Stone
09-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have scientific data that they can cite on the demonstrated health benefits of free range / organic / omega-3 eggs vs. conventional eggs?

Jarod Barker
09-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I think in one of Robb Wolf's podcasts or blog posts he addressed the advantages of eating eggs that had omega-3s. I'd imagine it's pretty much the same reasons why grass fed, free range beef is better. You get a better omega 3 to omega 6 balance, and you get some fatty acids like CLA that the conventionally grown meat/food/eggs/dairy don't have. I'll dig around and see if I can't find an article.

Brian Stone
09-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I think in one of Robb Wolf's podcasts or blog posts he addressed the advantages of eating eggs that had omega-3s. I'd imagine it's pretty much the same reasons why grass fed, free range beef is better. You get a better omega 3 to omega 6 balance, and you get some fatty acids like CLA that the conventionally grown meat/food/eggs/dairy don't have. I'll dig around and see if I can't find an article.

Thanks. My understanding is also that most of the evidence in support of organic foods / grassfed meat is largely anecdotal for the most part. There might be very marginal discernable nutritional differences for minor things in some cases (like Omega-ratios and what have you), but I believe that biological data in support of the superiority in diet is largely absent / inconclusive. I'm not extremely well-versed in the topic but I did some cursory research not too long ago to try to find anything objective in support of how I "should" eat. That failed to produce anything scientific of substance.

My personal guess at this point is that a great deal of the weight behind a number of these things is largely conjecture.

marcus allen
09-03-2010, 03:32 PM
My personal guess at this point is that a great deal of the weight behind a number of these things is largely conjecture.

Take a look at the link in Darryl's thread on Grass Fed beef in this same forum.

Jarod Barker
09-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Well.... alot of things are largely anecdotal. I believe I heard Robb state once that the existence of the universe is largely anecdotal. But in any case, research studies have also proven alot of BS. I've seen studies where they insisted that high carb diets were better. I've seen studies that found that eating meat was bad for you. At every family gathering, my vegan cousin brings me another study "proving" that eating meat is bad.

All I can say is what works for me. Eating more omega-3s makes me feel better whether it's from drinking fish oil or eating free range grass fed beef. I noticed the difference when I switched from conventional foods to foods with more omega-3s, and when I go on vacation and don't have those foods available, I can feel the difference then too.

If you want a case study, my 66 year old uncle lives on a farm in Kentucky and all the animals are free to roam, so the eggs, dairy, beef, chickens, goats, etc are all free range and grass fed. At 66, he can still do 30 dead hang pullups. I'd like to think that his diet plays some role in his health. You don't see too many men in their 60s who can do 10 pullups let alone 30.

Blair Lowe
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
One of my gymnasts comes from a family where they eat mostly hunted meat. They eat little to no fish or seafood but do buy chicken and eggs (something in the works, I hear). Lots of deer, buffalo, pheasant, quail, turkey, etc.

The kid is also extremely strong. I've often wondered if it helped during his training but he has never really trained more than 10 hours a week and is a low level gymnast moving on to mid level gymnastics (competitive). His little brother who does not train is still stronger than most of the kids in his class. Polar opposite though.

Brian Stone
09-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Well.... alot of things are largely anecdotal. I believe I heard Robb state once that the existence of the universe is largely anecdotal. But in any case, research studies have also proven alot of BS. I've seen studies where they insisted that high carb diets were better. I've seen studies that found that eating meat was bad for you. At every family gathering, my vegan cousin brings me another study "proving" that eating meat is bad.

All I can say is what works for me. Eating more omega-3s makes me feel better whether it's from drinking fish oil or eating free range grass fed beef. I noticed the difference when I switched from conventional foods to foods with more omega-3s, and when I go on vacation and don't have those foods available, I can feel the difference then too.

If you want a case study, my 66 year old uncle lives on a farm in Kentucky and all the animals are free to roam, so the eggs, dairy, beef, chickens, goats, etc are all free range and grass fed. At 66, he can still do 30 dead hang pullups. I'd like to think that his diet plays some role in his health. You don't see too many men in their 60s who can do 10 pullups let alone 30.

By no means would I fault anyone for doing what works best for them. I just see a lot of advice online telling people to eat this type of egg rather than that one, only grassfed meat, organic veggies, etc. It's true that you can find rogue studies that prove a lot of things, but the core of science is that it is testable and repeatable. if studies come out that legitimately and repeatedly call into question the consumption of a certain quantity of various types of meat, then that will hold weight in the scientific community.

Darryl's linked study is a start. This is a process and science often calls into questions its own formal claims. However, using anecdotal evidence is risky strictly because of confirmation bias, which is the reason why double-blind studies are so important. If you expect something to work better and all your knowledge / beliefs on the subject lead you to believe that is true, chances are that something will work better for you.

I'm not saying that one type of egg is or is not better, and I'm genuinely interested in the data. If there is a mountain of data out there that's persuasive to the nutritional community, then i'd be interested in seeing it. My own bias leads me to suspect that things developed in accordance with their natural evolution (e.g. meat from free-roaming animals) is going to be superior, but at the same time a molecule developed in "nature" is identical to that same molecule developed in a laboratory. That's obviously a simplification but it's illustrative of what I mean.

Arien Malec
09-07-2010, 08:42 AM
If there is a mountain of data out there that's persuasive to the nutritional community, then i'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm more interested in avoiding eggs that don't come with a mountain of shit.

Here's a somewhat self-interested research, but given where university funding comes from these days, self-interested research is probably the best we've got:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx

Brook Ferguson
09-09-2010, 03:53 AM
have any of you guys seen food inc? man, watch that and u would never buy a normal egg again....

Wayne Riddle
09-09-2010, 03:19 PM
have any of you guys seen food inc? man, watch that and u would never buy a normal egg again....

Watched it, doesn't phase me. I could snack on sausage sticks while touring a slaughter house.

Brook Ferguson
09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Watched it, doesn't phase me. I could snack on sausage sticks while touring a slaughter house.

wow im impressed.

turned me off grain fed everything for like, ever.....

Ryan M. Scott
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm not saying that one type of egg is or is not better, and I'm genuinely interested in the data. If there is a mountain of data out there that's persuasive to the nutritional community, then i'd be interested in seeing it. My own bias leads me to suspect that things developed in accordance with their natural evolution (e.g. meat from free-roaming animals) is going to be superior, but at the same time a molecule developed in "nature" is identical to that same molecule developed in a laboratory. That's obviously a simplification but it's illustrative of what I mean.

In terms of products being labeled "organic", it's not an oversimplification at all. Ceteris paribus, "organic" products are nutritionally identical to factory farm products.

Grass-fed, free-range beef/chicken/eggs are all marginally more nutritious in terms of omega-3's and certain vitamins (vitamin E for instance) than their feedlot counterparts. However, if you eat a diet rich in greens, seeds, nuts, olive oil, and fish, then you're probably getting all the omega-3's and vitamins you need from those sources.

Wayne Riddle
11-15-2010, 02:37 AM
The Conscientious Omnivore: Eggs (http://whole9life.com/2010/11/the-conscientious-omnivore-eggs/)

FWIW, I've been purchasing the Born Free brand at Wal-Mart. Cage Free, Omega-3 (DHA), Vitamin D, and Certified Humane, all for $2 a dozen.

Jarod Barker
11-15-2010, 07:50 AM
The Conscientious Omnivore: Eggs (http://whole9life.com/2010/11/the-conscientious-omnivore-eggs/)

FWIW, I've been purchasing the Born Free brand at Wal-Mart. Cage Free, Omega-3 (DHA), Vitamin D, and Certified Humane, all for $2 a dozen.

Nice find, I'll have to make a trip to Walmart. I avoid that store like I avoid the dentist.... But if they have cage free eggs that cheap, I may need to bite the bullet.

Alex Gold
01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Studies have repeatedly shown that conventional eggs have an omega-6: omega-3 ratio that is much higher than the 2:1 recommended by many Paleo sources. The ratio in conventional eggs is usually around 10:1 or higher. Omega-3 enriched eggs have been shown to have a better ratio, and an interesting recent study out of the University of Sydney found that omega-3 enriched eggs had a more optimal ratio than BOTH organic and conventional eggs. In fact, both the organic and conventional eggs each had a ratio of 10:1. The omega-3 enriched eggs had a ratio of 2.27:1.

That organic and conventional eggs have similar fatty acid ratios is not that surprising. Organic credentials don't really specify what the hens must be fed, but rather how they are treated and how the feed is treated (i.e. no herbicides, etc.). Since it is the hen feed that determines the fatty acid ratio of the egg (and the hen egg nutritional profile is actually quite remarkable in its sensitivity to hen dietary changes), then it is the makeup of the feed regardless of organic credentials that determines egg nutrients. Organically raised hens fed organic grain (i.e. an organic vegetarian diet) will be very organic indeed, but unlikely to have an omega-6: omega-3 ratio near 2:1.

The University of Sydney study is:
Samir Samman et al., “Fatty acid composition of certified organic, conventional and omega-3 eggs,” Food Chemistry 116, no. 4 (October 15, 2009): 911-914.

Please let me know if you would like further references.