PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 Programming Critique

Joe Hlasnik
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Hello all,

I'm planning to start up 5/3/1 here soon and was looking for some feedback on the assistance choices.

Day 1:
Press 5/3/1
Assistance:
Chins between all Pressing sets
Incline Bench 3-5*10
Ring Dips 3-5*10
Conditioning

Day 2:
Deadlift 5/3/1
Assistance:
(Warm Up) Power Snatch 8*2*Min
Front Squats 3-5*8-10
Leg Raises 3*F
Short Metcon

Day 3:
Rest

Day 4:
Bench 5/3/1
BB Rows 3-5*10
Ring Push Ups 3-5*10
Gymnastics Ring Work

Day 5:
Squat 5/3/1
Assistance:
Good Mornings 3-5*10
Abs
Metcon

Day 6 & 7:
Rest

All conditioning and metcons will be as recovery will allow, I'm looking to lean out a little so I will need to be conservative on things. I am starting with 80-85% rather then 90% for the start, and will see how I progress from there. My diet is mostly paleo aside from when I don't have a choice when traveling. Sleep is usually 7-9 hours a night. Any metcons I do decide to do will either be made up by myself or something from CFFB.

I kept everything during the work week because that is what seems to fit best with my schedule...weekends are usually full of time with the wife and kids or working around the house.

Comments are welcome...

joe

Allen Yeh
08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
everything looks solid except for the power snatch 1 set every 2 minutes x 8? Seems like a lot of snatches.

Also seems like you have enough rowing but just make sure you do at least 1 if not 2 sets of row movement for every pressing movement, works best IMO.

In one of his FAQ's Wendler indicated to do hard conditioning on lower body days and never the day before lower body.

Garrett Smith
08-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Too much. You should do some heavy trimming.

Unless you like burnout.

Donald Lee
08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
You need to give some more information about yourself for anyone online to give you a decent critique.

- Long-term and recent training history (coming off mass gain, trying to regain strength after injury, etc.)
- More specific goals (how much weight loss you want and how fast, maintaining/gaining strength, maintaining conditioning, why gymnastics, etc.)

If you don't care about your conditioning, I'd drop all the metcons and focus on your strength workouts on M,T,Th,F, and on W,Sa,Su, go on a long walk or bike ride. You'd be surprised how little short metcons do for your dieting when you're already strength training.

Allen Yeh
09-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Too much. You should do some heavy trimming.

Unless you like burnout.

Why do you think so? Other than the snatches, it seems like a pretty basic setup for 5/3/1?

main lift
2-3 accessory lifts
abs
conditioning

Joe Hlasnik
09-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Yea I realized when I read it again I left out a lot of pertinent information that would probably help everyone understand better.

I'm looking to continue to improve my strength numbers and keep a reasonable level of conditioning. I'm coming to 531 from Madcow 5x5 Intermediate, between recovery from squatting 3 times a week and the length of time my workouts are taking I think 531 will be a better fit my schedule overall. I'm about 205 right now and would like to get down to 190 again but the weight is not that important to me as just loosing the bit of a gut I've gotten from eating a lot while doing madcow. I wanted to start throwing in some gymnastics type stuff because I like working with the rings and I see it having a lot of carry over to the rest of my training.

So a little training history is I started to get back into lifting about 2.5 years ago after a break from anything serious since high school when I played football and wrestled. I got back into things just doing old routines from high school for awhile, then did P90x, Stronglifts 5x5, then I found crossfit. I never liked how little strength work they did and ran with CFFB instead of HQ for about 6 months, then I have been running on madcow until now.

I like 5/3/1 for the flexibility to add in conditioning, gradual progression, and can address my weaknesses easily without taxing myself to much. My first month into this will be more used to get used to the new routine and see what fits in well and what doesn't. I'm starting with 85% of my maxes instead of 90% to give me more time to get used to the new program. I'll leave the conditioning to lower body days, the power snatches I meant to say 8 doubles on the min for a warm up, and for any of the conditioning I do it would normally be sprinting or a short heavy metcon that wouldn't interfere with the next days workout if I have one.

If I forgot anything else let me know.

Ola Persson
09-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Take my advice with a pinch of salt, I'm still learning myself, but this I like (worked well for me):

I am starting with 80-85% rather then 90%

Also, my brief experience with 5/3/1 tells me that this is central:

All conditioning and metcons will be as recovery will allow

I wouldn't overdo conditioning. Ease in to the new program and ramp up the intensity after a while with some intervals on lower body and/or rest days. There is no need to over think stuff and do counterproductive CF-circuits.

Regarding assistance work: I tried different things and kept what worked. If you enjoy ring work and snatching then do it, but know why (it took me a couple of cycles to realize why I shouldn't power clean but I'm glad I stopped). On a side note the press day seems a bit too much; I would skip either incline or ring dips.

To summarize: given your second post I think 5/3/1 as prescribed is a perfect match. Lift weights and run when you have the energy.

Good luck!

Donald Lee
09-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't see anything majorly wrong with your routine. Just go for it and make adjustments as needed. If you're at a high enough level of adaptation, you may need to adjust your assistance exercises, but you're probably fine.