PDA

View Full Version : Training around an injury

Tanner Cook
09-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently injured my wrist while doing some thrusters...it's nothing serious but it's just a real pain in the a** to train with it. I tape and wrap it each session but am still limited in my range of motion. I can't do the oly lifts which sucks because I'm supposed to hit up a meet in early October. At the moment I can still back squat, front squat with the arms crossed over the rack position, deadlift, do the pulls, and do some light bench (flat, incline, and decline), any other ideas? any input would help,

-Tanner

Garrett Smith
09-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Thrusters with a BB are a perfect wrist injury waiting to happen, among other things. First thing to do would be to learn from this and only do thrusters with DBs or KBs in the future...same stimulus, better risk-to-benefit ratio.

Can you do snatch balances or OHS?

Ben Moskowitz
09-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Yeah, pulls, squats, and Cln/Sn deadlifts would be your money exercises provided there's no pain. Be patient, there's usually not much blood flow to the wrist. Don't lift at the meet if you're not ready. Use ice, heat, anti-inflammatory drugs maybe, and mobility, rehab/prehab, grip work as tolerated. Maybe check out this thread:
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=58736

John Alston
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM
The best lesson to learn here is to never do thrusters.

Tanner Cook
09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Haha, yeah I'm not a huge fan of thrusters, however this is the first time out of the 5 years I've been doing them that I hurt anything, and as someone who competes in Xfit competitions I have to throw them in once in a while to maintain them...Haven't tried any OH Squats or snatch balances yet, might give them a shot next training session but I'm doubtful of my chances of getting anything more than 60%