PDA

View Full Version : those who pull, and those who dont.

Timothy Scalise
09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
so I was thinking about training, and what is better the bulgarian style that is very basic with the lifts and squats, or the russian style that is full of assistance work. I have a friend and training partner that is in china training with their team right now, and did before, and I know they do LOTS of assistance work. I was wondering if any of you know what other countries are doing work with pulls, and wich ones are doing the strait snatch, clean, squat deal. Im just kind of curious as to who is doing what.

From what I know now is, bulgarian style is : bulgaria (duh), greece did not sure if they kept doing that or not. and I heard Iran. With the heavy assitance work I believe its: former USSR, current russia, poland, china. anyone know others?

Tanner Cook
09-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Your pretty spot on in your analysis of what countries use what...I've always had better gains using the assistance lifts, primarily the pulls. My thought process was always, if Wtd. Pull-ups, will up my deadhangs, shouldn't heavy pulls up my O-lifts. On the other hand there is something to be said for the nervous system effect you get from the full snatches and C&Js. What's you current training program?

Brian DeGennaro
09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
There's something to be said about pulls teaching you to overpull/not change directions quick enough, hence the reason why some Eastern Europeans and Chinese do pulls with the rebend, which is actually a half pull under.

I know Bud Charniga has like 2 or 3 articles on dynamic-eleiko.com and sportivnypress.com about pulls and their [mis]uses. There is also one in BFS about the same. Personally, I don't see them as useful to increase the 2nd pull as they are for teaching/reinforcing position and just general strength off the floor.