PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3 Eggs Oxidize

Joshua Hoyle
02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I know that omega 3's are prone to oxidation when exposed to heat or light which is why fish oil is supposed to be kept refrigerated, but wouldn't cooking omega-3 eggs oxidize the fats in them? And if so, what is the best way to cook them in order to prevent as much oxidation as possible? I've searched the internet but some sites say that scrambled is the best while others say it is the worst.

Mike ODonnell
02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Since most of the fats are supposed to be in the yolk...I believe sunny side up is probably the better answer....but alas yes heat does kill EFAs....but at what temp? Would lightly heating without breaking the yolk preserve more EFAs than scrambling at a higher heat? Possibly...not enough info out there on it though...

I still would count only fish oil omega 3s as your main intake...the others are good to the fact that it limits the amount of omega 6s you get as too many of those in a diet are proinflammatory.

Robb Wolf
02-24-2007, 08:13 AM
MOD is right...over medium or soft boiled is likely best. Love scrambled however. Keep the flame kinda low, use plenty of olive oil (antioxidants in there) and enjoy IMO. I may be wrong but I doubt this poses a significant risk with regards to oxidized fats.

Chris Forbis
02-25-2007, 02:15 PM
You could eat them raw...

http://www.13.waisays.com/egg-yolk.htm