PDA

View Full Version : Shrugs

Ola Persson
09-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Iíve been doing high rep shrugs with low weight for some time, mainly to strengthen my grip. After reading Starrís trap-article at Starting Strength, 70ís Big recent posts and some Wendler I plan to do some heavier work in order to strengthen my upper back instead. But Iím unsure of:
ē How to program them (set/rep-scheme and weight)?
ē How to do them (Iím used to shrugging strict/like a bodybuilder)?

Steve Shafley
09-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Look at the vid they just posted on 70s Big. That is the classic "Starr Shrug".

Do them like that, and do them for ~20 reps. I'd start with 2 sets of 20 at as heavy a weight you can manage and get an actual shrug at the top, then start adding 10-20# a workout.

Do that for a month and see.

Ola Persson
09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks! I'll do it just like that.

Steve Shafley
09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
It's like 5 minutes of work tacked onto the end of your workout. Just be sure you're getting a good shrug.

Brian M Smith
09-07-2010, 08:10 AM
sets of 20? wow.

I've been doing them as sets of 5, usually 3 sets working up to a top set of 5. I also do them after snatch or C&J workouts too, so the reduction in volume might make more sense I suppose. (I like to think of them as "hang clean pulls" ) I do find they have some carryover to explosion in the 2nd pull of the olympic lifts, which is good knowing they serve a purpose other than getting swole traps like brent :D

on a related note, I've been doing a set of 20rep kroc rows once a week as well as an upper back exercise. I suppose I got this idea from the chinese weightlifting training, and also because I think I need more upper back development.

Steve Shafley
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Shrugs = very short ROM.

It's been commented on by many lifters that exercises with short ROMs seem to need higher reps for hypertrophy, i.e. traps and calves.

There's nothing wrong with low rep, heavy sets, but the high rep requirement often makes you lower the weight enough so you do full shrugs, rather than ugly cheating.