PDA

View Full Version : CrossFit Games

R. Alan Hester
02-24-2007, 10:05 AM
CrossFit Games: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/CFGamesFlyer.html

Great idea. I am looking forward to seeing the results of this.
It seems like it will serve multiple purposes:

1) It will give the CF system a direct sport for a validation of its theories. Although CF has been, and is being, used by many in the MMA, LEO, and military worlds with great results, one of the dings (correct or incorrect) on CF by the uninitiated and/or unbelieving is its definition of fitness that does not apply to their "fringe" sports (i.e., as some have noted, being fit is being able to do your chosen task, be it discus, frisbee golf, running, powerlifitng, etc.).
2) It will serve as a real-world forum for all the naysayers to come and compete—put up or shut up, if you will. Now when some one takes a shot a CF, a challenge can be made. This could be good or bad from a business point of view. If said naysayer does compete and loses, then an anecdotal validation has occurred. If naysayer competes and smokes it, stock may or may not fall, even though it is anecdotal as well.
3) From a marketing point of view it is genius. All of the hullabaloo regarding the upcoming games will begin to spread and peak the interest of the unanointed.

Just some random thoughts to start a discussion.

Alan

Cassidy Drake
02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Without going on a soap box I'll say this:D Sounds a lot like Scott Sonnon and his world club bell championships. Marketing tool, and really prooves nothing to anyone but people in that group, IE group thought etc.. Anyways 200 people show up, like seminars and Greg made another 20000 bucks off the mass crossfit nation. Rant done, sorry, just bugs the hell out of me.

Mike ODonnell
02-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Great to know people have that kind of enthusiasm to do something like that....in the name of fitness. Hope everyone who does it has a great time.

I'm holding out for the Chek games...as I have been practicing standing on the swiss ball.

Russell Greene
02-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I think it's an awesome idea, and very close to where I'll be spending the summer, so I'll definitely be there and competing. I've been waiting for a crossfit games for a while. There's no reason Crossfit can't be a sport in its own right, and I think this is a great start.

Can you tell I'm excited?

Robb Wolf
02-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I think it's pretty Kick-ass. It looks fun, loads of good people will be there. We might have to field a Team Performence Menu...

Scott Kustes
02-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Does that mean you're sponsoring and paying travel expenses? If so, I promise a Top 10 finish.

Allen Yeh
02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Does that mean you're sponsoring and paying travel expenses? If so, I promise a Top 10 finish.

haha in that case..... :D

Don Stevenson
02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey, I might actually be in the US when this is on!

I'm attending *cough* the RKC as a team leader *cough* earlier in the month and i'm hoping to cath up with a few CF/PM strongman people that i've talked to online but never met.

Pierre Auge
02-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Robb,
I would be pissed if I DIDN'T see a team Performance Menu there!!!

Mike ODonnell
02-25-2007, 01:16 PM
But why the $10 a spectator fee?

Steve Shafley
02-25-2007, 01:25 PM
$10 keeps me out!

That's why!

Mike ODonnell
02-25-2007, 01:27 PM
$10 keeps me out!

That's why!

Ahhh....now I got it. Although I thought you were on the PM team for the CF total part?

Would be interesting to compare people's scores in a rated competition vs what they do on their own...like making sure all squats are below parallel....all pullups are chin over bar....all pushups are full ROM...all that good stuff. I am sure plenty would put up the numbers they say they do online...and I am sure many won't. But it's all for fun.

Ron Nelson
02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
$10 keeps me out!

That's why!

Shaf,
I'll paypal you the $10 just to have you there. Fish gotta swim; shit gotta be stirred.

MOD,
I've been saying this for a long time regarding people and their "performance."
ROM is a killer.

Cassidy Drake
02-25-2007, 10:54 PM
10 bucks. Come on now why do you think? If they know they get 50 bucks per competitor, and they bring a wife and two kids(average) then that's 30 more bucks in their pockets. Capitalism is one of america's greatest virtues

Pierre Auge
02-26-2007, 04:46 AM
If you blame them for running a business then some people would call you a communist. Not me but some people would! ;)

I would do the same if I were trying to run a high profile competition. Can't go to a Hockey, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Nascar, F-1, Olympic, Lacross, Tennis, D&D or Cow Tipping games for free, why would we expect this to be free. That would be ludicrous.

Frankly the Olympics are the worst exhibition of capitalist exploitation of athletes anywhere. Charge insane ticket prices with the money going nowhere near the athletes performing. I would love to go! Sounds like fun! To the Olympics I mean. I'm going to the CF Games to CRUSH the competition into the ground and maybe for some gluten free beer drinking partying afterwards.

Steve,
I might take the week off and drive down there again for the Games... Maybe you can hop in with me and we'll stop in at Rip's for a day. He's a good time and his gym is the right place to do some serious lifting. Anyone else interested in a road trip?

Mike ODonnell
02-26-2007, 04:59 AM
or Cow Tipping games for free

In College that was free....well except the price of drinking the 6 pack before. Besides Pierre...$10 Canadian is just like free..once converted. :D

Hey I'm all about marketing and sales....makes the world go round...although how are you supposed to market that to new people who may want to see what it is all about....let them come see for free and then you have more people interested in the program.

Now I'd love to write more but I dont get paid by the word...

Pierre Auge
02-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Can't please everyone Mike, and it is reasonable to assume that the venue in question has a maximum safe capacity. Also that it requires some kind of percentage per head per attendance. Therefore capacity limits are controlled via cost and knowing roughly how many hits crossfit.com gets weekly and how many certs sell out well in advance it is also safe to assume that it will be a full house. Business like Geometry has many angles...

Mike ODonnell
02-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Business like Geometry has many angles...

Just like my head with all the dents from pucks and sticks....

Pierre Auge
02-26-2007, 06:48 AM
LOL dude youre funny

Robb Wolf
02-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I just want to field a team that has used every performance enhancing drug known...winstorl stacked with EPO and growth hormone. The ALL DRUG Olympics BABY!
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/163480/all_drug_olympics/

Steve Shafley
02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Holy crap, that'd be a crazy road trip.

Heh, I was just going to mention having the PM field an "enhanced" team.

Yuen Sohn
02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
A PM team would be cool. Of course, it would probably be the only team to show up at the competition piss drunk ;)

Mike ODonnell
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
WHoz PizZ Dunrk?!.....

Ron Nelson
02-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry, I spilled my drink. What'd he say?

Mike ODonnell
02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
to think what the world could of become thanks to Ireland......but alas....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBCCDOUS9U

and the PM jet lands at HQ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oh-J3IClzc

Allison Barns
02-26-2007, 09:44 PM
to think what the world could of become thanks to Ireland......but alas....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBCCDOUS9U

and the PM jet lands at HQ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oh-J3IClzc

Mike,
Freaking hilarious!!
Been there, seen that, got the T-shirt.

Scott Kustes
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
haha in that case..... :D
I figure by the time Robb realizes I didn't turn in a Top 10 finish, he's already paid for my expenses. Granted, he can still kick my ass at that time, but the risk/reward tradeoff is good...reward: travel to Cali, meet cool folks, participate in sports. Risk: getting my ass kicked by a guy with one good arm (which would take a long time to live down).

Robb Wolf
02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
That would be AWESOME to show up and just get shit-faced in the parking lot! I'd score my pukie shirt before I finished the press warm ups to say nothing of the "hopper" WO. It might blunt the neuroendocrine response but you gotta try stuff like that at least once!

Scott-
Greg and I talked and we can fly you in...but it will be 4th class book rate. Are you comfortable with, oh...shall we say, small cramped spaces...darkness and potential blackouts (the mail is typically not pressurized while in flight). If that sounds like a go then you are in amigo!

Greg Everett
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
oh, well if we get to participate under the influence (of what, i won't admit), then sign me up!

robb, i checked again on the air mail deal... it would be cheaper for me to UPS my scooter to scott for him to ride back.

Mike ODonnell
02-28-2007, 05:49 PM
I'll start "carb loading" now....although I may end up somewhere in Utah looking for the games....

Pierre Auge
02-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Ummm,
I'll drink and puke and shit but I'm bringing my own team of drunk Canadians.

Allen Yeh
03-01-2007, 03:31 AM
man I wonder just how long it would take on a scooter....

Scott Kustes
03-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Let's see...2300 miles from Louisville, KY to Aromas, CA. Assuming we're talking about a motorized scooter, maybe I could average 20 miles an hour, so 115 hours, or about 5 days. Course, that doesn't count eating, pooping, and sleeping. Nor inclement weather. If we're talking about a human-powered scooter (i.e., Razor scooter), it might take me a few weeks longer, but no one will want to mess with my pushing leg. My right leg would be stronger than Chuck Norris' by the time I got there. And I'd probably weigh in at the 115lb class.

I'm still mulling the mail plane thing. When do you need me to let you know?

Mike ODonnell
03-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm taking my Segway....

Yuen Sohn
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Course, that doesn't count eating, pooping, and sleeping. Nor inclement weather.

Scott,
Wear diapers. You'll save precious time.

...and show up smelling fresh for the competition.