PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for Sports

Thomas Schneitter
10-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I am doing Simplefit at the moment. I want to prepare my body for the rigors of basketball,ultimate frisbee, volleyball and soccer. Therefore I want to begin running sprints, basic plyometrics and running up hills and stadium steps. At what level would you advise me to start doing these activities and for how long until I start engaging in these sports. I am 41 years old if that helps you in making a decision.

Grissim Connery
10-07-2010, 01:59 PM
what's the specific reason that you cannot engage in them already? do you have a specific medical issue?

Thomas Schneitter
10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I fell that my flexibility in my hamstrings needs to be improved. And in order to be competitive I need time to improve my aerobic conditioning, anaerobic endurance, strength, power, agility and quickness.

Kevin Shaughnessy
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
When I added conditioning into my routine I just did it as fast as I could and tried to do better next time. It depends on how hard it is on your joints I guess. A good run through of Starting Strength will help build joint integrity.

Thomas Schneitter
10-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Kevin thanks foor your advice. I believe I'll begin Starting Strength. However, I think I'll modify the program slightly by doing weighted dips instead of BP and FS instead of BS.

Steven Low
10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Kevin thanks foor your advice. I believe I'll begin Starting Strength. However, I think I'll modify the program slightly by doing weighted dips instead of BP and FS instead of BS.
Weighted dips is OK.

If you want to work more on posterior chain (hammy flexibility, glute/ham power) for the sports you want to play you should keep the back squats.

Kevin Shaughnessy
10-08-2010, 03:10 PM
NeverMind

Dave Van Skike
10-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Thomas, do you know that a male your age should only be squatting twice a week on SS?

oh noes!!!

i better stop this smolov nonsense as i am in my advanced decrepitude at nearly 42.

Arien Malec
10-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Thomas, do you know that a male your age should only be squatting twice a week on SS?

References?

Kevin Shaughnessy
10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
References?

Mark Rippetoe on his site and possibly in his book but I wouldn't know what page. Hes written an article entitled "Training For The Aged".

Arien Malec
10-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I see in the forums where he makes this recommendation for 50+, but not where he makes it for 40+. And generally, the recommendation is made in the context of the Texas Method (which I can attest is a real ass kicker).

Steve Shafley
10-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Really? REALLY? This is the kind of advice you are getting here?

Time is running out.

The skills associated with those sports need to be developed for you to enjoy them.

Consider that the path to mastery for most sports is 8+ years. To be competitive, you need this skill development. At 41, you probably don't have all day to devote to these past-times like a younger man would. Maybe I'm wrong. As someone whom is independently wealthy, you may have all the time you need. That would still put you at 49. Let's say you want to be good enough to have fun doing this shit. That can come in, maybe, 6 months of intensive practice.

Better get cracking, and pick up the pieces of your S&C somewhere along the way, because squatting doesn't improve your jump shot, nor do weighted dips improve your soccer passing.

There are certain skills that will be essential and universal. The ability to recovery from sprint intervals. Precision of skill execution under adverse conditions (fatigue and high heart rates). Ability to change directions rapidly and safely.

Any general weight training program will be fine, as long as it complements a concurrent improvement in the above qualities. Simplefit might be all you need.

A few quick notes:

Plyos - you'll get this in sport practice.
Hamstring flexibility - get a jumpstretch band, do it 3x daily.

If this was the first thread I'd ever looked at on this forum, I wouldn't come back. You guys aren't really this idiotic, are you? ARE YOU? (I'm not talking to you Dave, I know exactly what you are)

Kevin Shaughnessy
10-08-2010, 07:04 PM
I see in the forums where he makes this recommendation for 50+, but not where he makes it for 40+. And generally, the recommendation is made in the context of the Texas Method (which I can attest is a real ass kicker).

I dragged the thread where he said not to squat 3x a week: http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/archive/index.php/t-16540.html. And your probably right about the aged being 50+. I'll edit my post.

Thomas Schneitter
10-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Steven

I thought that I should stick with the front squats since I'm going to be following SS without a partner. Therefore, I won't have a spotter and thought if I failed on a FS I could easily avoid an injury.

Thomas Schneitter
10-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Steve

I appreciate the advice you provided. But when I said I wanted to be competetive it was strictly in the sense of recreationally. My days of serious competition are behind me and I am at peace with that fact.

Dave Van Skike
10-09-2010, 06:28 PM
(I'm not talking to you Dave, I know exactly what you are)

an asshole?

Thomas,

Use the advantage of your experience here....use the force, realize NONOFTHATSHITMAKESADIFFERENCE. you're not going out for the NFL combine, you're playing a sport...fer like fun and shit. this is a rare thing.

Stay healthy/Play. for me that means one thing, for you it's probably another..but for fuck's sake, don't sweat the theoreticals.

Rick Deckart
10-09-2010, 08:07 PM
an asshole?

Thomas,

Use the advantage of your experience here....use the force, realize NONOFTHATSHITMAKESADIFFERENCE. you're not going out for the NFL combine, you're playing a sport...fer like fun and shit. this is a rare thing.

Stay healthy/Play. for me that means one thing, for you it's probably another..but for fuck's sake, don't sweat the theoreticals.

true words, true words, excellent advice from someone in the knows :)

Steve Shafley
10-10-2010, 06:40 AM
What I'm saying, when I'm not being an asshole about it, is that practically anything you do will be fine.

As long as it makes you stronger, you do it consistently, and it doesn't run counter to your sporting goals.

Sometimes weight programs can make you too sore to want to do anything else.

As far as exercise selection: The exercises you like to do, as long as they are multi-joint, easy to vary loading on, and safely performed, should be great.

Gant Grimes
10-11-2010, 07:48 AM
41? Test, TRX, and chasing the ladies around the practice field.

Derek Simonds
10-11-2010, 08:03 AM
41? Test, TRX, and chasing the ladies around the practice field.

I know what I have to look forward to next year now...

Thomas Schneitter
10-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Gant

you're going to have to fill me in what "Test" means?

Steve Shafley
10-11-2010, 06:52 PM
For INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. Also, a bit tongue in cheek.

Really?

Testosterone Enanthate
Testosterone Cypionate
Testosterone Proprionate
Testosterone Suspension
Testosterone Blends.

Exogenous testosterone is best drawn up in a 22 to 23 gage needle. My recommendations to a neophyte is 1-2 ccs at most, then injected into the outer part of the quad, in the middle third area, at least twice a week. There's some talk that a bolus of testosterone is best absorbed through the gluteus, but it's problematic to reach around there when you are not experienced.

I would not start with suspension or proprionate, those tend to sting, suspension significantly so, until you are more experienced and have acquired the taste for the sting (which should happen unless you are some sort of candyass) and then in that case, every other day injections can keep the levels both high and consistent.

Expect a few things:

Awesomeness.
Feeling way cooler than Matt Foreman.
Getting big and strong pretty fast
Horniness you haven't felt since you were 15 and grabbed your first titty.
Wanting to take up MMA or maybe Rugby League instead of Ultimate and Soccer.

Jarod Barker
10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Expect a few things:

Awesomeness.
Feeling way cooler than Matt Foreman.
Getting big and strong pretty fast
Horniness you haven't felt since you were 15 and grabbed your first titty.
Wanting to take up MMA or maybe Rugby League instead of Ultimate and Soccer.

:D laughed so hard I started coughing

Grissim Connery
10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Expect a few things:

moving to jersey shore
making unecessary, loud yelps while working out with a lot of people around
doing jager bombs
tanning
punching Snooki

Gant Grimes
10-14-2010, 08:09 AM
punching Snooki

Not all side effects are bad.

Thomas Schneitter
10-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Grissim

If I were to begin doing anything you wrote it would be a radical departure from the way I function. I had to do a google search to discover who in the hell Snooki was.

Jarod Barker
10-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Grissim

If I were to begin doing anything you wrote it would be a radical departure from the way I function. I had to do a google search to discover who in the hell Snooki was.

Me too. I thought it was one of those blankets with the arms before I googled it.

Grissim Connery
10-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Grissim

you caught me red handed: i was joking.

i just get a lot of satisfaction out of submitting guys who have used steroids, especially if it's a triangle and they're about to black out with their face in your nuts (*cough* chael sonnon v. demain maia *cough* *cough* chael sonnon v. anderson silva *cough*).

back on topic, go play frisbee or soccer or whatever. come back and build strength or endurance when you've actually determined that you have a for reals deficit.

what's more "functional" than doing the actual function?

Gant Grimes
10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Does anybody besides Shaf and Derek understand the difference between using T as a PED vs. replacement (hence, the joke)? I'm starting to worry about this place.

Jarod Barker
10-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Does anybody besides Shaf and Derek understand the difference between using T as a PED vs. replacement (hence, the joke)? I'm starting to worry about this place.

Well T alone doesn't do all that much as a PED which why people stack it with so many other compounds. It's really just a way to compensate for stronger compounds that shut down natural T production. However, T as a replacement is exactly why Shaf's comment "Horniness you haven't felt since you were 15 and grabbed your first titty." was so funny. I know two guys in their 50s and one who just turned 40 who are on TRT, and hanging out with them is alot like hanging out with high school guys. They're ready to bang everything that walks past. ...and people wonder why I bring soap on a rope to the gym....