View Full Version : A firm foundation: focusing on the feet

Steven Low
10-11-2010, 08:32 AM
We have a new article out. Yay.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/10/a-firm-foundation-focusing-on-the-feet/

Let me know your guys' thoughts. :)

Jarod Barker
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
First off, I'd just like to say how much I hate you for putting that picture in of the guy rupturing his achilles tendon. It caused me to have a flash back to when I saw a guy running literally 10 feet in front of me and his achilles ruptured. I get the chills everytime I think about it :(

In any case, another very well written article on feet and shoes. Just curious, what do you do? Do you go sans shoes? Vibrams? Terra plana? There are so many situations in life where we must wear shoes, but it is clear that they are definitely altering our mechanics negatively. In fact, the local Y actually prohibits racing flats, indoor soccer shoes, and vibrams. Crazy right?

My PT keeps telling me I have flat feet and over pronate because my posterior tibialis is too tight. I've tried stretching, rolling, massaging, etc, but I suspect it's all undone by my shoes.

I think the length of this article was better as well. I'll be honest, I'm one of those people who began, but never finished the shoes, sitting, and lower body dysfunction article. I always mean to come back to it, but never managed to finish it. Maybe I'll make a point this weekend to sit down and finish it.

Steven Low
10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I try to go barefoot as much as possible except when required to wear shoes. I have some flat soled pumas that I wear for such occasions.

Yeah, well, this article could've been much longer because there's so many more issues I could talk about but I tried to keep it down... compared to shoes/sitting its about 1/3rd of the length.

Much better... probably couldve been much shorter but then I wouldve had to do a series

Jarod Barker
10-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I think this article was kind of sweet spot personally. Maybe someone else will chime in and say it was too long and you should do a series, but I probably got through in 5 minutes-ish. So, it's long enough to give you the information, but not so long that you can't finish it before another distraction or heaven forbid, you have work to do.

Steven Low
10-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah.

Any suggestions for other injury articles?

Gary Ohm
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Great article Steve. I'm a barefoot and foot health fanatic and now I can direct folk to your site to read your articles to support me.

I go barefoot as much as possible. At work I have to wear leather shoes and I can't find any that have a really minimal sole. When I'm in the plant I have to wear work boots so I'm pretty much screwed....

I like your injury articles, you are able to say things clearly that I futz around and take hours to try and explain...

Thanks again.

Chris Forbis
10-13-2010, 05:10 AM
I go barefoot as much as possible. At work I have to wear leather shoes and I can't find any that have a really minimal sole.

http://www.zappos.com/sanuk-board-room-black

They have them in brown too.

Samuel Hughes
10-13-2010, 05:20 AM
http://www.zappos.com/sanuk-board-room-black

They have them in brown too.

pricey slippers

Allen Yeh
10-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Great article Steve. I'm a barefoot and foot health fanatic and now I can direct folk to your site to read your articles to support me.

I go barefoot as much as possible. At work I have to wear leather shoes and I can't find any that have a really minimal sole. When I'm in the plant I have to wear work boots so I'm pretty much screwed....

I like your injury articles, you are able to say things clearly that I futz around and take hours to try and explain...

Thanks again.

The vivo Barefoot shoes were they only ones I have considered for work.

Garrett Smith
10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I wear the Vivo Barefoot Oaks http://www.terraplana.com/oak-p-2165.html?colour=143 every day at work, they're leather, and no one really notices them as being out of the ordinary. 4mm thick flat sole.

I will likely get some Sanuks for more casual wear in my next shoes.

Just had to fix my Vibrams with Shoe Goo, they were coming apart in places.

Gary Ohm
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the links fellas. The Vivo's I might be able to get away with in the office. But out in the plant I have to have something much more "boot like"... It really makes no difference in the construction, as long as the "look" like a boot. It is an extreme aggravation. The most passable ones I've been able to find are the Wolverine Durashock. And they still make me feel like I'm walking in platform shoes.

Allen Yeh
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't know what you need the boots for but Nike makes a tactical boot now that have a Nike Free feel, they are ok, not great for the field but great for the garrison environment as they are lightweight and flexible Nike SFB boots

Gary Ohm
10-13-2010, 01:25 PM
That Nike sounds interesting. I work in a power plant. I need boots, typically all leather unless they have an ANSI or ASTM safety certification number, to protect against abrasions (steel and concrete). I walk on diamond plate and open grating as well as concrete, climb thin rung ladders, and do high voltage electrical switching.

We might have incidental contact with various acids and caustics. If that happens we usually need new boots anyway, but the goal is for the boot to slow the stuff down long enough for you to get it off before it melts your foot.

The other side is that Nike has always fitted me poorly. I had wide feet before I started going barefoot. Now my gorilla feet REALLY protest narrow toe boxes. I'll look into the tactical boot. Thank you.

Allen Yeh
10-13-2010, 06:11 PM
If you do get them try through Zappos.com they have a great return policy at no extra charge. I did my nike free size for these boots not my regular military boot size.

Jarod Barker
10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't know what you need the boots for but Nike makes a tactical boot now that have a Nike Free feel, they are ok, not great for the field but great for the garrison environment as they are lightweight and flexible Nike SFB boots

Are you saying this boot is available on zappos or the Nike Free? I think I need to get a pair of these boots, my Bellevilles have soles so thick they just might be mine proof.

Lawrence McDonell
10-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Great article Steve.

I have been championing minimalist and barefoot running over here in Australia amongst my squad of Rugby League Referees... some have jumped on board after reading you previous article... and Born to Run. Others...(mainly those who are chronically injured) prefer to make fun on my vibrams but i think their curiousity has been roused sufficiently to at least think about runnign technique.

On another point just picked up two typos in the article...

"As previous discussed the plantar fascia is involved with the Windlass mechanism"

"As you can seem most often the plantar aponeurosis is aggravated at the heel where it originates from, but pain can be anywhere along the plantar aponeurosis all the way up to the feet."

Steven Low
10-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the typos catch. Fixed.

Also, yeah keep spreading the word. Good stuff. :)