PDA

View Full Version : Squats, shoes and hamstrings

Kelly White
10-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I have been working on getting strong again after a flurry of back and shoulder injuries. I am doing a linear progression with most of the focus on the squat.

Trying to get strong overall before I start to add back in the OLY lifts. I am doing my progressions low bar style. I am quad dominate (I think) and my hamstrings might be limiting my strength.

I have always squatted in DO Win Oly shoes and that is all I use now.

Would I be recruiting more post chain if I get a shoe without a heel? Any one that does both oly and powerlifting use different setups?

Thinking I would still to overheads and front squats with the DO win.

Robert Callahan
10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
What is your body type?

For LB BS sometimes a little less heal is nice for certain body types, but I would rather have a bit more heal than have no heal at all.

If you are going to be doing sumo stance squatting, then you should be looking to ditch the heal in your shoes, but if you are still doing a narrower (relatively) stance then stick with the DOWINs. That is what I would do at least :)

Derek Weaver
10-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Wait, I've got a question. Why do you think your hamstrings are limiting your progress?

I think I remember a quote by Wendler where he noted that unless your quads hang down over your knees, you're not quad dominant. A little simplistic maybe.

Kevin Perry
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Wait, I've got a question. Why do you think your hamstrings are limiting your progress?

I think I remember a quote by Wendler where he noted that unless your quads hang down over your knees, you're not quad dominant. A little simplistic maybe.

My suggestion is to quit thinking you’re quad dominant. Unless your quads hang over your kneecaps like an elephant’s testicles, you’re not quad dominant.

Are your quads hanging over your knees like an elephant's testicles?

Kelly White
10-27-2010, 09:11 AM
No elephant tea bags here. I just cant seem to find my hamstrings so maybe I'm just assuming they are weak as wet paper.

I pull both sumo and conv and I don't use shoes for either. My squat is just beyond shoulder. I just want the best route to get strong in general. Not for oly only.

Do any non oly guys here lift in heels?

Kevin Perry
10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I think your issue may be more form related rather than hamstring issues.

Do you stretch out your hip flexors before squats and deadlifts?
Is your bar positioning on squats comfortable for you?
What is your flexibility like?
Do you have a video of your squat form?

It could simply be that your not squating with correct form per the bar positioning.

If that makes any sense.

Robert Callahan
10-27-2010, 04:08 PM
I am not an "oly lifting" guy. I use lifting shoes with a heal to squat in.

the added heal in squat shoes puts you into a better position to get better range of motion in stronger positions (ie safer). This makes it more effective as a general strength training tool. Now the degree of heal can be argued, but the existence of a heal in squat shoes is pretty well established. At least for conventional squatting, sumo squats are another bag of worms.