PDA

View Full Version : Times per week for OLs to make progress

Garrett Smith
10-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Question on my programming.

Let me start off with the fact that I'm two weeks into it, I've done something like this before, and it seemed to work...but I've changed it a bit and want to bounce it off some others.

Current Goals:
Last Highland Games of 2010 in about a week and a half. Due to moving my office, pregnant wife, and a big PL meet less than a month ago, I haven't done much throwing training (not that I ever have), so I'm over the fact that I may not improve much at this Games. Done. I want to set some PRs in my OLs before I end up back with PL training for a meet in March. I was hoping to get in an OL meet before the end of the year, but that isn't happening.

Current plan:
I train four days a week, the exact days I'm flexible on (I have to be).

Day 1:
Snatch (to a predetermined amount during my re-familiarization period, then eventually to a max for the day)
5/3/1 front squats

Day 2:
5/3/1 press supersetted with
5/3/1 Pendlay rows
10' EDT set of double KB presses and double KB rows

Day 3:
Clean & Jerk (same as snatch)
5/3/1 back squats

Day 4:
5/3/1 weighted chins supersetted with
5/3/1 weighted ring dips
10' EDT set of BB JM presses and DB curlz

When I did a program like this before, it worked well (beat my meet PRs in practice within a month's time) with a minor difference. Back then, I was snatching to a max for the day, then doing C&Js for about 5 singles at maybe 70-80% (practice reps). Did the opposite on the other day (snatch practice, C&J to max for day).

How much am I losing out by only practicing each lift once a week, versus twice? I get the math, looking for more feedback than that. Adding more sets to my workout makes the workouts longer, which means I have to fit more into my schedule.

Rick Deckart
10-27-2010, 04:23 PM
i would lift twice but keep one session very light, technique work with 40-60 kg 5-10 reps only purpse not to get too rusted, the other I would thrieve for some quality work >80% <= 90%

Rick Deckart
10-27-2010, 04:34 PM
i would also think about using a 10 day training week and spreading your four days over ten days. maybe doing two days back to back, even 11-12 days i would consider.

Garrett Smith
10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks Peter. I think I just needed to type it out, I know I need to go to twice a week on the OLs--it worked so well before.

Rick Deckart
10-29-2010, 05:34 AM
if you want to try a two sessions per week repetition work oly schedule try what is described in the following thread... (http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47536)

one day you do some super light snatch technique work and than c&J
the other day the other way round.

it's from Mike Burgener and a really really sweet deal, keeping the skills sharp working up to 90% over the course of two months, just saying...

Brian DeGennaro
10-29-2010, 06:06 AM
You could warmup with the bar and practice snatches/cleans/jerks every day you're in the gym, maybe warmup to 50% for a few singles just to get that groove better. Days I can't have access to bumpers that's what I do and I still get something out of playing with a bar or a stick.

Garrett Smith
10-29-2010, 06:34 AM
if you want to try a two sessions per week repetition work oly schedule try what is described in the following thread... (http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47536)

one day you do some super light snatch technique work and than c&J
the other day the other way round.

it's from Mike Burgener and a really really sweet deal, keeping the skills sharp working up to 90% over the course of two months, just saying...
Peter, for me are you referring to Mark I or Mark II? I'm positive I would need the easier Mark II...

Rick Deckart
10-29-2010, 06:56 AM
with them brothers it is best always to take the easiest, over the weekend I will finish a rough excel sheet draft. you want it - I send it to you

and by the way if there is one magic exercise it is fronts, not overhead squats.

If I were you I would consider Mark II but would stretching the base cycle to four weeks, squatting three times/week and stretching the intense cycle to 5 weeks...

I was crazy enought to try Mark I with a very very very optimistic max of 130kg in reality it was 122.5kg made it through it and got this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQSYIhBVMo

out of it, and lifted the qualifiying total for the worldmasters 2009 twice...
i sold myself cheap though, trying a new max three back to back days in a row. a little more common sense and that would have been 150 kg!

James Evans
10-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Sorry, completely off topic but I just read the comments on Peter's jump squat video. There really are some little arseholes on youtube, you'd think they were all walking round with elite totals.

Rick Deckart
10-29-2010, 10:28 AM
these comment amuse me, that's the reason I never delete comments no matter how retarded they are. Eventually it is not me with the egg in the face...

re them brothers, here is a report from a russian lifter cepoctb from P&B who used Mark III for practically everything and that many times, so here it goes:

Ok, first of all - I have average genetics (maybe even below
average) – my wrist circumstance is only 16.5cm and simple linear
progression stopped working for me when my bw was 85-87 (I started
at 75), my squat was around 110-115kgx5x5, bench 75kgx2 and deadlift
160kgx1. I never used any PEDs or even supplements. I'm 183cm and
just turned 22.

I only used base mesocycle of Smolov – and always trained 3 times a
week – so program lasted 4 weeks instead of 3.

So, first time I had tried original Smolov program for front squats
– it went from 140 to 150 (bw95) but the cycle near killed me. 4
month after than I did Smolov again, this time for back squat, and
gained 20kg – hit my first 200 kilos as result (bw99). It was so
hard, that I couldn’t force myself to do it another time for more
than a year. Finally crazy idea came – to use Smolov for
conventional deadlifts. My best pull was 230, but at the start of
the cycle I barely hit 215. So I plugged conservative max of 205
into the excel. The cycle with lower percentage was much easier –
max training weights was only 185x5x5 and 195x10x3 but on the test
day I pulled very smooth 245 (bw101). 3 month later I run program
for block pulls – conventional deadlift only increased by 5, but my
sumo skyrocketed – I pulled 265 (bw98).

After than I discovered drpp’s version of Smolov with reduced
tonnage. I used it for squat and bench press next cycle and it
worked very well. My maxes was 215/120 at that time but I changed
both my squat stance and press grip, so my real maxes was around
200/110. I used very conservative maxes but was able to hit PR’s –
225 and 125 (bw102). Next cycle was Sumo deadlift and bench – but
with focus on deadlift. Once again I used lower percentages but hit
my goals – 275 sumo and 130 bench (bw101). My max training weights
was 215x5x5 and 225x6x3.
For the next 5 month I focused on my upperbody and bench press,
using Sheiko bench program with only occasional squatting or
pulling. At the start of the next Smolov cycle my conventional
deadlift was around 245-255. I decided to pull without belt so
percentages became even lower than usual. At the end I pulled only
205x5x5 and 215x6x3 but that resulted 250x4 beltless deadlift
(bw107)! It was by far my most successful cycle. I made a mistake
here – became greedy and run another cycle for sumo only 3 weeks
after. Used higher % and even missed some reps on 3rd week. I wanted
300, but was only able to hit 285 (was good for 290-292.5 maybe).
Still it was 10kg PR (bw108).
I just ended another cycle, for squat which I was neglecting for the
last 1.5 years. This time I decided not to max immediately but to
increase weights in several weeks and hit rep PR’s. Already squatted
185x12 and 195x10 with some left in the tank.

Videos of most of these lifts are on my channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/cepoctb

As a result of frequent high-volume squatting and deadlifting my
legs and back became very conditioned, it’s almost impossible for me
to have any soreness in leg muscles and even after most brutal
deadlift sessions lower back doesn't ache for more than 2-3 days. On
the weekends I usually play 2-3 football games (I’m a goalkeeper in
amateur team) so it is important for me to be fresh. When I squatted
infrequently I wasn’t able to walk properly for 3-4 days after, and
playing football was almost impossible. It is another good thing
about Smolov.
Regarding MKIII version – it’s much easier (both mentally and
physically), and what’s even more important for me – session are
1.5-2 times faster/shorter.
For squatting, IMHO, it’s the single best program. It’s worked
awesome for my deadlift, but that was maybe because I mainly use
legs for the pull. For heavy lowerback pullers it can be to much.
For bench I think it’s ok, Sheiko worked better for me, but it’s
much more time consuming.

Garrett Smith
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Peter, where do you have the Mark III posted? I would rather go easier than harder, particularly with the levels of outside-of-training stressors I have right now...

Rick Deckart
10-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Mark III is the hardest brother, it is for intermediates, go with Mark II, I'll send you an excel sheet of the 13-weeks program, if you stretch the basecycle to 4 weeks and the intense cycle to 6 weeks it would look like so

2 weeks intro 3/week
4 weeks base 3/week
2 weeks switching 2/week
6 weeks intense 2/week
1 week taper and test

for a total of 15 weeks relatively easy focus on front squats and olympic lifts. same gains as the 13 weeks variant

and don't test your max after the base cycle! simply add a conservative 10 kg to your max and use that!!

Garrett Smith
10-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Peter,
I'd love the Mark II spreadsheet, please.

Also, you said you were sending me an email...I never got it. Check the email address I gave to you for errors...

Rick Deckart
10-29-2010, 01:06 PM
well check your spam, but i'll sent it anyway just to make sure!

send you the brothers right NOW, please check and report!

Garrett Smith
10-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Got the email, no spreadsheet, looking forward to it!

Rick Deckart
10-29-2010, 06:11 PM
you should have gotten it by now!

Rick Deckart
10-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Also I am convinced that the cycle would work even if you would do every week with just two sessions, you would get the same gains, it would just take longer be much easier and probably much healthier... you wan't to volunteer, be the first? Unlike yours my oly technique is shit. you will c&J that front max triple you do at the end!

Ivan Perez
11-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Mark III is the hardest brother, it is for intermediates, go with Mark II, I'll send you an excel sheet of the 13-weeks program, if you stretch the basecycle to 4 weeks and the intense cycle to 6 weeks it would look like so

2 weeks intro 3/week
4 weeks base 3/week
2 weeks switching 2/week
6 weeks intense 2/week
1 week taper and test

for a total of 15 weeks relatively easy focus on front squats and olympic lifts. same gains as the 13 weeks variant

and don't test your max after the base cycle! simply add a conservative 10 kg to your max and use that!!

Hi Peter

Do you adapted base and intense cycles in all Brothers? Base and intese look fine with 3 and 2/weeks.

Could you send me a PM with spreadsheet please?

Rick Deckart
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
the introycle I pimped to be of better use, it can be used squatting 2, 3 times per week or 5 times in two weeks

the basecycle comes in three ground flavours and can be varied with respect to its length, squatting 2, 3 and 4 times per week, and of courss 5 times in two weeks

the switching phase I invented based on Verkhoshanskys stimulation method, i developed
two switching cycles... where you can mix and match doing 1, 2 or even 3 complexes per session or doing one session with one complex and the other with 2 or 3...

the intensecycle comes in three flavours

one where the volume is reduced 22%

one wehre the volume is reduced 5%

and one where the volume is reduced 27%

it can be done with 2, 5 in two weeks and 3 sessions per week.

that's Peters Clan a system of thousends of cycles... the brothers are just a tiny subset of it.

and I am ignoring here that one could try the following:

intro - intense - switching - base

or

switching - base - switching

you get the idea, it is an entire empire, a universe somebody has to explore and map...

you get the still unfinished product - a manual is missing, look up my facebook notes - here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13406264/sistersofmercy.xls

Ivan Perez
11-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Awesome thanks Peter... i could understand

If dont' know if i could test next years, but If I'll do I'll post a review

Rick Deckart
11-05-2010, 05:36 AM
write a short summary of you first encounter if you have with video and pm or email it to me, I am currently working on three articles and need first hand reports, the thumb ups as well as the thumb downs, thanks! :)

Rick Deckart
11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Peter Clan comprises not only the above but also a overhead squat progam which is called themightylouse you get it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13406264/themightylouse.xls