PDA

View Full Version : Warming up the Knee

Troy Kerr
10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
A few athletes at my gym have issues with their knees. These issues are the results of previous sports injuries. In our warm-up I always include mobility drills and light stretching on the hips, as well as foam-rolling. I was wondering if there are any other ways lifters might use to warm up their knees for such things as deep high-bar back squats and o-lifting?

Rick Deckart
10-27-2010, 08:01 PM
get them a pair of TK-knee bands, these will get the knees not warm but hot, the stuff you do is good but the TKs will take care of the rest. Rehbands cannot be compared

Jarod Barker
10-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I like the TK bands. I don't know if you can find it anywhere online, but Kelly Starrett taught movement prep at the CF football cert and had a ton of really good knee work. I wish I could remember half of it. If I come across any videos of it, I'll post the link.

Rick Deckart
10-27-2010, 11:47 PM
http://www.tommykono.com/ :)

Brian DeGennaro
10-28-2010, 05:36 AM
I second the TK kneebands or the Rehband sleeves. Makes a huge difference even for regular lifters when the weather gets a little colder.

Gary Ohm
10-28-2010, 07:28 AM
I use bands on my elbows and knees. How do the TK and Rehbands compare to ones that you get at a sporting goods store? Specifically, I use "Pro" brand neoprene bands purchased at "Big 5 Sporting Goods".

Basically these:

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301262_401r.do?keyword=knee+support&sortby=ourPicks

I am very curious about this discussion as well.

John Alston
10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I used to use generic drug store neoprene knee sleeves. Minimal compression, adequate warming. If you don't want/need compression, don't see why you'd need something more expensive, but I could be open to other ideas.
One gym I trained at had a standing leg curl near the racks. Sometimes if I wanted to speed up the warmup I would do some quick reps on it in between warmup squat sets. Just b/c it was right there.