PDA

View Full Version : Fat gripz

Kevin Perry
10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Anyone use these? I just ordered a pair for 29$. I'm curious as to what they have done for people. Im gonna use them for my assistance work since I have small hands and grip strength is a weak point for me on deads.

Dave Van Skike
10-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Anyone use these? I just ordered a pair for 29$. I'm curious as to what they have done for people. Im gonna use them for my assistance work since I have small hands and grip strength is a weak point for me on deads.

i use them on occasion. they are useful. don't overdo it and ease into them over time. a bit too easy to overwhelm or overwork those poor little extensors that get taxed in a fat grip.

John Alston
10-29-2010, 11:30 AM
yeah, I have some, but I should prob use them more. They came up in this thread
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4450

Kevin Perry
10-29-2010, 11:59 AM
wow right underneath a post i made in there too, that was a total fail

Derek Simonds
10-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I like them a lot. I don't use them enough. Dave is right they can be powerful medicine. If you use them you really need to do extensor work even if it is just with rubber bands. I have so much grip stuff that I rarely use it depresses me. Grip can turn into an entire workout easily. I like to do db rowz and db press with FG. Farmers walks are much more challenging and I struggle to hold 80 LB DB's for very long.

Samuel Hughes
10-29-2010, 03:04 PM
where did you find them for $29?

Kevin Perry
10-29-2010, 03:25 PM
where did you find them for $29?

the main distributor. http://www.fatgripz.com/

Mark Fenner
10-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Edited:
I like them a lot. I don't use them enough. I have so much grip stuff that I rarely use it depresses me. Grip can turn into an entire workout easily.

For a lot of this sort of thing (stuff we don't do enough, stuff that we should do, stuff that isn't necessarily as up-front important as SQ, DL, etc.): I love to combine different things. For example, I never do enough rowing (I talk myself into pull up, chin ups, neutral chins). But, I can knock out some combination of rowing with either balance or grip work by doing (1) Maxercist rows (stand on right leg only, semi-RDL hip position, row with left arm) -or- (2) rows with grip challenge. Bang. You could do all three (row, one leg, grip challenge) ... but, while it (might be) *fun*, it might also be circus.

Anyway, just some thoughts on getting it in, without forcing another workout.

Best,
Mark

Garrett Smith
10-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I just got some Lynx Grips for ~$10 from GNC with their online 10% + free shipping coupon...I've heard that doubling, tripling, even quadding these up is a good fat grip approach. Since I only bought one pair, most I can do is double them.

James Evans
11-01-2010, 03:49 AM
If anyone is interested in playing around with this on the cheap, pipe insulation (see here (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273775&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C%7B9372016%7D/categories%3C%7B9372050%7D/categories%3C%7B9372231%7D/specificationsProductType=pipe_wrap&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=266891236) for a rough idea) is a handy option*.

Not perfect but it will make barbell exercises challenging.

*Pun fully intended

James Evans
11-01-2010, 04:35 AM
These also work really well for zerchers. Perhaps I'm lacking some testosterone but I don't particularly enjoy holding a loaded barbell in the crook of my elbows.

Jarod Barker
11-01-2010, 08:54 AM
These also work really well for zerchers. Perhaps I'm lacking some testosterone but I don't particularly enjoy holding a loaded barbell in the crook of my elbows.

Agreed! I stopped doing zercher squats because I got tired of people asking about the marks on my arms.

Dave Van Skike
11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Agreed! I stopped doing zercher squats because I got tired of people asking about the marks on my arms.

i can think of 7 different reasons not to do them. this is not one. chalk em up.

zerchers with a fat bar are actually harder as the load increases. the bar that stays planted at 315 suddenly wants to squirt out at 405.

Kevin Perry
11-02-2010, 02:18 PM

I think this is one of the reasons I've yet to bother with zerchers. Not until my squat is over 400 at least.

Ken Rich
11-02-2010, 04:31 PM
You can also use the Fat Gripz to roll on as you would on a foam roller or lacrosse ball. Delightful in an excruciating way.

Remember no pain face.

Ken

Jarod Barker
11-02-2010, 04:53 PM
i can think of 7 different reasons not to do them. this is not one. chalk em up.

zerchers with a fat bar are actually harder as the load increases. the bar that stays planted at 315 suddenly wants to squirt out at 405.

Well, I'm sure I could find some way to them without screwing my arms up, but I've stopped for now for the same reason why I stopped butterfly kip pullups. It just tears my hands apart, and then it interferes with my training till they heal.

I only had to do it a few times before I realized that tearing my skin wasn't making better at anything, and I was losing quality training time to waiting for my skin to grow back.

I should probably wear my rehbands on my elbows or something since I can't wear them on my knees anymore.... Who would've guessed squatting makes your legs grow?

John Alston
11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
I used these for some deadlifts yesterday, double overhand grip. Light, as I am coming back from injury, but I feel it in my forearms today. Has anyone bothered to measure the diameter of these things when they're on a bar?

Grissim Connery
11-05-2010, 09:26 AM
zerchers with a fat bar are actually harder as the load increases.

isn't this just a generally true statment for all weighted exercises?

Dave Van Skike
11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
isn't this just a generally true statment for all weighted exercises?

it's surprisingly non-linear. the technique needs to change quite a lot to make it work with a fat bar.

Edward Guzman
01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I hear you on the difficulty increasing as if exponentially with fat gripz.
I am going back to not using them on the Zercher. I use them extensively for pullups and light deadlift days.

Derek Weaver
03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Bump.

Just a heads up, but the Fat Gripz maker has them at $29 again. Not sure if this is something they usually do or not, but it looks like they may be back ordered and could take a while to get there.

Looks like you can get them from Elitefts as well, but they're at $39.

Chris Snyder
03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Bump.

Just a heads up, but the Fat Gripz maker has them at $29 again. Not sure if this is something they usually do or not, but it looks like they may be back ordered and could take a while to get there.

Looks like you can get them from Elitefts as well, but they're at $39.

Link? I can only find them for $39.

EDIT: Nvm, once you add them to your cart, they are $29.

Derek Weaver
03-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, sorry. Forgot to link or point out that you aren't told about the price discount until you go to add an order.

They're also on sale at Elite Fts right now until Monday I think. Even with the sale price, they're more expensive at Elite. The trade off being that you'll probably get them earlier through them than if you go through the actual Fat Gripz site.