PDA

View Full Version : athletic skill standards

Michael Korczowski
10-31-2010, 09:16 PM
a while ago a blog published a consolidated list of athletic skill standards for "level 1" to "level 5" athletes (e.g. 5k times, backsquat-bodyweight ratios, etc...)

I can't find it any more. Anyone remember where it is?

Rick Deckart
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
most of these lists are complete hogwash or bullocks, if only people would understand that it doesn't matter what other do or think, that training is about oneself - unless you compete of course - being a better being tomorrow than today, staying healthy, having fun and not only talking but walking the path...

Júlíus G. Magnússon
10-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, and take into account bodyweight, anthropometry, etc, and those lists just become silly.

Jarod Barker
10-31-2010, 11:04 PM
a while ago a blog published a consolidated list of athletic skill standards for "level 1" to "level 5" athletes (e.g. 5k times, backsquat-bodyweight ratios, etc...)

I can't find it any more. Anyone remember where it is?

Crossfit Level 4 has a pretty well written skill standards list. You might try looking that up. I don't know if it's the one you saw before, but it has a few interesting benchmarks such as carrying a sandbag matching your bodyweight for 1 mile.

Rick Deckart
10-31-2010, 11:15 PM
and lets not forget age and gender, really the irony - I often feel - is that the very same people eating every word from rippetoe as if it were manna, fully buying into his novice -intermediate - elite scheme, and believing his definitions of said states, that is your an intermediate once linear prog. stops working, that very same people cannot understand that this sort of definition, by definition implies individual standards... In other words, a 100 kg squat can be elite elite level, absolutely!

James Evans
11-01-2010, 04:05 AM
I tend to agree with Peter here.

Standards and benchmarks have their place for both a coach and an athlete. You have to make to make assessments and you need to measure progress but people become obsessed with facts and figures. Rip took those tables out of the book when it was republished and reference to them on his forum tends to send him into a rage.

And those CrossFit standards are absolutely retarded. I saw them the other day for the first time in 4 years (I think) and they just made me laugh.

Rick Deckart
11-01-2010, 05:03 AM
as I said, you compete? different story but the average trainee? C'mon what difference does it make?

James Evans
11-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Exactly Peter.

Striving for something like, I don't know, say 15 OHS at bodyweight is silly....:)

Garrett Smith
11-01-2010, 06:05 AM
I like Rip's charts, and the BFS ones. They have given me some solid goals to work towards, not that they are the be-all-end-all of my training. Then again, as a 6' 195# guy, I think I fit pretty well into who their "target" was with those. Knowing what is applicable or not to the person and where that fits into the context of one's training is the most important thing.

For example, my levers are terrible for DLing. Hitting average numbers in DLing will be a huge chore for me and I'm not sure it's worth it...but the numbers are always there for me to choose as a goal.

Rick Deckart
11-01-2010, 06:19 AM
see those numbers aren't average, that's my whole point... everyone has a potential and a performance, the closer the later to the former, the closer you are to true elite status.

Steven Low
11-01-2010, 08:09 AM
We wrote one up here:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/12/skill-guidelines-for-building-strong-useful-adaptable-athletes/

I think they're good general guidelines to strive for if you want to be well rounded.

Like said earlier though you may have more trouble getting some and others you may get easily depending on your bodyweight, anthropometry, genetics, etc.

Fun little exercise but ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of training.

Grissim Connery
11-01-2010, 10:24 AM
We wrote one up here:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/12/skill-guidelines-for-building-strong-useful-adaptable-athletes/

I think they're good general guidelines to strive for if you want to be well rounded.

Like said earlier though you may have more trouble getting some and others you may get easily depending on your bodyweight, anthropometry, genetics, etc.

Fun little exercise but ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of training.

funny, but after all the discussion on standards (which i agree are kinda pointless), i wanna test myself on a lot of those levels that your link stated. i dunno if it will change my training at all, but now i'm just curious what my numbers are for some of those things.

Rick Deckart
11-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Exactly Peter.

Striving for something like, I don't know, say 15 OHS at bodyweight is silly....:)

well I needed a goal and was curious how does one train for such a feat if one is chronically ill and not an athlete?

I am more proud that I figured something out which will even get the least talented to meet the goal than of the feat itself. And I once could do this on my off-days without breaking a sweat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L96lh7A4glk

and I am chronically ill, broke my back had hernias, brain surgery, a battered man with enough scars to please a company.

now you tell me is that an elite feat??!

James Evans
11-02-2010, 02:31 AM
now you tell me is that an elite feat??!

You proved that things are achievable if you put your mind to it. Particularly if you are as bloody minded as you are Dr. Puetz.

Gant Grimes
11-17-2010, 07:48 AM
You should be able to squat down and stand up ten times, jog a mile without stopping, throw a baseball from the mound to home plate, paddle a canoe without tipping, carry a small TV up three flights of stairs, wrestle for a couple minutes, hit a softball, do a somersault, make a free throw, pick up a 100# stone, take steps two a time, dive into the water and swim a quarter mile, ride a bicycle, jump over a pumpkin, and pick up children. Everything else is gravy.

Arien Malec
11-17-2010, 08:04 AM
What are the measurements of the pumpkin?

Jarod Barker
11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
You should be able to squat down and stand up ten times, jog a mile without stopping, throw a baseball from the mound to home plate, paddle a canoe without tipping, carry a small TV up three flights of stairs, wrestle for a couple minutes, hit a softball, do a somersault, make a free throw, pick up a 100# stone, take steps two a time, dive into the water and swim a quarter mile, ride a bicycle, jump over a pumpkin, and pick up children. Everything else is gravy.

Very nice. I think that's truly what people NEED to do. I WANT to squat 500 lbs for reps, but you're right, beyond being able to live a functional life, the rest is just gravy.

Gant Grimes
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
What are the measurements of the pumpkin?

Ah, sorry. I should have said Tactical Pumpkin.

Garrett Smith
11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Ah, sorry. I should have said Tactical Pumpkin.
Like this?
http://www.funny-potato.com/images/halloween/giant-pumpkin.jpg

Joe Hart
11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
PEDs! Piss test that pumpkin!

Yael Grauer
11-17-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm going to the Tactical Pumpkin cert in Feb. Anyone else going to be there?

Arien Malec
11-17-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm an Level I Certified Tactical Pumpkin Jumper already. Waiting eagerly for the Level II cert.

Gant Grimes
11-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Pumpking jumping is a good cert. It's dangerous, though. Better have your RRG money.

michael blevins
11-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Athletic standards should match/resemble the task: 5k runner? have some split standards or look up some benchmarks for the top 100 runners in your class, if all of them have a 2x BW deadlift maybe that's something you should have. If on the otherhand none of them can do more than 10 pullups, what's the point of spending time training that expression?
A GPP standard list is harder to nail down, if it's truly general you better have some good endurance standards and strength benchmarks, how about sub 3 hr marathon and 2.5xBW deadlift, "named" workout times are irrelevent to "real" fitness because efficiency can be learned and the general preparedness is lost.
Before a list is compiled for standards ask standard questions.
-Who am I?
-What do I do?
-What are my weaknesses?
-What is fun for me?

And can we stop using the term "elite" unless speaking of someone or some standard that is elite?

Garrett Smith
01-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Here were some that I put together for myself from various sources (and where I stood in them at the end of 2010):

Powerlifting 90kg (198#) weight class:

Standing Press

173# (Rip's Advanced) - last cycle of 5/3/1 at the end of the year was to be with a theoretical "actual 1RM" of 180#
175# (Hoffman bronze)
195# (Hoffman silver)
198# (1x BW)
215# (Hoffman gold)

Bench Press

265# (BFS "All-State") - did this in 2009, last PL meet hit 275#
289# (Rip's advanced)
297# (1.5x BW)
305# (BFS "All-American")

Power Clean

225# (BFS "All-State") - hit a PR PC of 100kg / 220# in mid-late 2010
250# (Hoffman bronze)
264# (Rip's advanced)
265# (BFS "All-American")
270# (Hoffman silver)
290# (Hoffman gold)
297# (1.5x BW)

Back Squat

350# (Hoffman bronze)--3/27/10
375# (Hoffman silver & BFS "All-State") - hit 380# at last PL meet
387# (Rip's advanced)
396# (2x BW)
400# (Hoffman gold)
445# (BFS "All-American")

Deadlift

430# (Hoffman bronze) - hit 420# at Worlds in Oct.
445# (BFS "Great")
457# (Rip's Advanced)
475# (Hoffman silver)
485# (BFS "All-State")
495# (2.5x BW)
520# (Hoffman gold)
530# (BFS "All-American")

Weightlifting 94kg class:

Snatch

200# (Hoffman bronze) - hit 91kg/200# in practice in mid-2010
215# (Hoffman silver)
230# (Hoffman gold)

C&J

260# (Hoffman bronze) - best comp lift is 110kg/242#
280# (Hoffman silver)
300# (Hoffman gold)

Total

200kg / 441# (Russian Class III, approx. Hoffman bronze total) - best total to date in comp is 200kg
202kg (Pan Am Master's qualifying total)
222.5kg / 474# (Russian Class II)
495# (Hoffman silver total)
227kg (World Master's Champ. qualifying total)
530# (Hoffman gold total)
250kg / 551# (Russian Class I)

I don't actively think about these lists, I have them on my goals document, and just check them off when I pass a marker.

James Seay
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi, my first post here. Please let me know if I breach ettiquette. I have been waiting to respond to this one (need to get access here first). It kinda feels like we are both re-inventing the wheel and making things way too complex here.

Here are a selected set of standards set in the NSCA reference textbook, "Essentials of Strength and Conditioning"

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Strength-Training-Conditioning-3rd/dp/0736058036/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297814279&sr=8-1

Maximum Strength
1. Bench Press 1RM (also a powerlifting event)
2. Back Squat 1RM (also a powerlifting event)

Maxium Power
3. Power Clean 1RM (a modified Olympic event)
4. Standing Long Jump and/or Vertical Jump

Anaerobic Capacity
5. 300-yard Shuttle

Local Muscular Endurance
6. Partial Curl-up aka Crunches (also a USMC fitness standard)
7. Push-up (also an US Army fitness standard)
8. Pull-up (***ADDED, NOT FROM NSCA...but a USMC fitness standard)

Aerobic Capacity
9. 1.5mi Run or 12-minute Run. (1.5mi run is a US Navy and USAF fitness standard. 12-minute run is the venerable Cooper Test)

Agility
10. T-test and/or Hexagon Test
11. Pro-agility Test (also an NFL COmbine event where it is known as the 5-10-5 shuttle run)

Speed
12. 40-yard Sprint (also an NFL Combine event)

Flexibility
13. Sit-and-reach test
14. Gray Cook Functional Movement Screen (***ADDED, NOT FROM NSCA...but this makes the Flexibility section much more comprehensive and up-to-date).

The advantage for using the above is that this book includes percentile ranks by gender and sport so you would know how you ranked, for example, against division 1 NCAA Basketball players. The American Football tables are also broken out by position.
The Google Books preview of this book had portions of the standards chapter about a month ago but seems to lack them now.

My "decathalon" would be:
1. Bench Press, 2. Back Squat, 3. Power Clean, 5. 300-yd Shuttle, 6. Crunches,
7. Push-up, 8. Pull-up, 9. 12-minute Run, 11. Pro Agility Test, 14. Functional Movement Screen