Allen Yeh
11-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Best article in a longtime from T-nation
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/531_reloaded

My favorite part of the article was the end:

According to Jim Wendler, these are the only rules that you need:

Every plan should have:

Strength Component (the 5/3/1 lifts)

Hypertrophy Component (the assistance lifts)
Conditioning (sprinting, hill sprints, etc.)

Jim likens this to the type of prioritizing virtually every adult performs every day.

"You got your job, your family, and your hobbies. You figure out your priorities and basically find a way to make it work and keep all three in balance.

Why can't people apply that logic to training?"

Kevin Perry
11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the Article Allen,

training ADD is real. must cut back to basics.

Jarod Barker
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Best article in a longtime from T-nation
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/531_reloaded

My favorite part of the article was the end:

Thanks for posting this. I probably wouldn't have read that if I hadn't seen it here first. I tend to ignore most Tnation articles anymore just because I'm tired of them hocking supplements constantly.

Allen Yeh
11-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Lately the articles have just sucked.

Jarod Barker
11-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Lately the articles have just sucked.

There's still a few Dan John articles every so often, and once in a while they get a really good coach to share some info in an interview. But I'm just so tired of reading about Anaconda Protocol and Mag10, and every other Biotest product they make. It's like reading an infomercial. "Do you suffer from erectile dysfunction? Studies show that healthy men taking the Anaconda Protocol...." I just feel like the more advertising they put in the article, the less real substance can be gained from it.

Grissim Connery
11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
that quote from wendler has made me reevaluate what i'm doing. i generally focus on strength and conditioning with little hypertrophy type work. i think that when time is short, it gets cut first.

maybe i'll try to use a GTG style for hypertrophy so that i can fit it into my day.

thanks for posting that

Dave Paton
11-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I have been following 5/3/1 for 12 weeks. I have a weightlifting competition (Mid-Americans) this Saturday. This will be my 4th weightlifting meet and my first that I didn't specifically train for the meet. I have been doing warm up with snatches but that's it. No cleans or jerks. I feel strong and I have lost fat doing 5/3/1. However, I really have no idea how I will do with the actual lifts. I will post my results and let you know how the 5/3/1 did for weightlifting.

Jarod Barker
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I have been following 5/3/1 for 12 weeks. I have a weightlifting competition (Mid-Americans) this Saturday. This will be my 4th weightlifting meet and my first that I didn't specifically train for the meet. I have been doing warm up with snatches but that's it. No cleans or jerks. I feel strong and I have lost fat doing 5/3/1. However, I really have no idea how I will do with the actual lifts. I will post my results and let you know how the 5/3/1 did for weightlifting.

You prepared for a weightlifting competition without doing any weightlifting? Why didn't you just use the olympic lifts as your 531 lifts? Have you tried maxing out periodically?

Dave Paton
11-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I moved to a new place where I don't have the ability to drop heavy weight. I used to have a big garage where I had a platform etc. Now I don't. I decided to not make excuses and stop competing and just get out there and see what happens. I am not trying to make the olympics.

Collin O'Neill
11-06-2010, 06:06 AM
that quote from wendler has made me reevaluate what i'm doing. i generally focus on strength and conditioning with little hypertrophy type work. i think that when time is short, it gets cut first.

maybe i'll try to use a GTG style for hypertrophy so that i can fit it into my day.

thanks for posting that

I find myself in the same boat. At best, I try to integrate some hypertrophy work into my conditioning, which is probably bass-ackwards at best.

I think I need to re-evaluate my program. Coming off an injury, I was going to drop some of my numbers and take another look at things anyway.

Dave Paton
11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, I snatched 6 kgs below my PR and 7 kgs below my PR for the C&J. the pulls felt good but my legs felt weak and the bottom positions felt weak. Jerks felt good. I am going to continue 5/3/1 but definitely need to front squat more.

Andrew Midmer
12-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Wondering what the feedback is on Wendler and Deadlift Frequency. I'm currently in my 4th month of Wendler, and have been reading up on deadlift frequency. Some say to deadlift every two weeks - to prevent overtraining and injury. Wendler states that you should basically grow a set and deadlift. I find that week one especially difficult with the 5 sets at 85%, I have started to include good mornings and reverse hypers as a way to fight against rounding.

Dave Van Skike
12-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Wondering what the feedback is on Wendler and Deadlift Frequency. I'm currently in my 4th month of Wendler, and have been reading up on deadlift frequency. Some say to deadlift every two weeks - to prevent overtraining and injury. Wendler states that you should basically grow a set and deadlift. I find that week one especially difficult with the 5 sets at 85%, I have started to include good mornings and reverse hypers as a way to fight against rounding.

no easy answer. couple smart options.

reset your percentages back down in the dl
look at doing some of the modification wendler has talked about in 531 for PL. basically flip the 3's and 5's week and only go for the rx'd percents on the 5's week.
rotate weeks of pulling from the floor and doing a day of heavy rows and rdl's
go to a template with alternating squat and dead doing only one each week.

Andrew Midmer
12-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Dave, that's what I was thinking. I'm doing the Triumvarate version, as well as doing some Met Con work and skill work. I'm thinking I will have to get a true 1rm and then re calculate the percentages. Either way I've had about a 40 lbs PR since implementing. Just added higher volume of Good Mornings to work lower back.

Ben Byram
12-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I did 5/3/1 for 8 months, based on the triumvirate model intially done 3 days a week for 6 months, then twice weekly as a 2 full-body routines for 2 months. I basically treaded weight on the deadlift over that period and my lower back felt overtrained all the time.

For me personally deadlifting fortnightly works better, alternating RDL's and deads as Dave suggests.

Kevin Shaughnessy
12-09-2010, 03:13 PM
One thought from Rippetoe is to alternate halting deadlifts and rack pulls as they cause less net stress then deadlifts. You could alternate them once a week with the 5/3/1 progression.

My experience has been pretty positive with deadlifting once a week on 5/3/1, but then I dont deadlift that much relatively speaking.