PDA

View Full Version : Jerk 'hand' position.

Pete Gordon
11-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Chaps & Chapettes.

Recently I did a coaching course (run by the Aust Weightlifting Course). The course went into technical detail about the clean, snatch...but only brushing over the jerk.

When asked about people who jerk with quite a wide grip (pictured below) the trainer said it was inefficient, or of something to that effect.

I'm wondering on whats your take on hand position when doing the jerk. Do you prefer a wider grip? How come? Do you prefer a 'typical' narrow grip? How come? Clearly a wider grip works for some people. To say it doesn't, would require to look at videos where people use it (and win the lift) & say they didn't make it.

Thanks.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/e0NTPbiDE-8/0.jpg
Ivan Stoitsov - Wide Grip Jerking

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/images/colin-mcnulty-clean-and-jerk.jpg
Classical Jerk Grip

Spencer Mackay
11-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I think coaches will advocate the 'classical' grip because the arms will be in a more vertical position, which may help reduce torque at the shoulder. Weak shoulders would limit the athlete's performance.

With a wider grip, the bar will not displace/travel as far so less concentric work will be done and less energy expended, however torque would increase as a result.

Elite lifters would obviously be able to counter this with experience and work with whichever technique they prefer.

Brian DeGennaro
11-06-2010, 02:41 PM
That's a "wide" grip? Looks pretty standard to me. Dabaya and Yuan Aijun have wide jerk grips, especially Aijun.

I think it's fine and all preference as long as the lifter doesn't get nearly as wide as their snatch grip. The problem I see with a really wide grip like Aijun and Dabaya is just the increase for dislocation at the elbow.

stephan marcella
11-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Brian or others with experience: I have recently practicing the jerk with a little more than finger tips on the bar. If I try to get more of my hand around the bar, I cannot re-rack and wind up holding the bar. I have been working wrist, shoulder, thoracic, and tricep mobility/flexibility for a while, but no real improvement. What are you thoughts or suggestions concerning the finger tip jerk?

Brian DeGennaro
11-14-2010, 09:08 PM
What about scapular mobility?

For me it developed with time to be able to get my hand on the bar instead of just the fingers. I know some lifters do fine with just the fingers on the bar but I'm not one of them nor do I really prefer just the fingers only. It can be a little iffy with regripping the bar, especially at max weights and I know from experience you do not want a heavy jerk slipping out of your hands and cracking you in the skull.