PDA

View Full Version : build your own TRX?

Yael Grauer
11-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Just wondering if anybody's done it and if it's worth doing rather than dishing out $200 or whatever it is. And if you've made one how does it compare to the real deal.

Blair Lowe
11-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Look for one on ebay. A year or two ago, a guy made his own and was selling it for 30-40 dollars. It was a big hoopla on the CF forums.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Elite-Freestyle-Gymnastics-Trainer-Footstrap-TRX-/120618044710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c15654d26#ht_2335wt_762

Yael Grauer
11-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Good find!

To be honest, looking at the TRX site I was confused about what you needed and which package came with what and everything. It seems expensive for what is essentially a strap.

Gary Ohm
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Look for one on ebay. A year or two ago, a guy made his own and was selling it for 30-40 dollars. It was a big hoopla on the CF forums.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Elite-Freestyle-Gymnastics-Trainer-Footstrap-TRX-/120618044710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c15654d26#ht_2335wt_762

I really like the look of this ^^ thing. Especially with the quick release and measured strap. Though I've really become fond of the feel of rings.

I guess I'm a ring snob..:rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sold on the necessity of being able to put your feet in the straps. It seems to me that using your hands on the rings is close enough to an ab wheel rollout until you can actually get the rollout.

I don't mean to come across as too much of a purist, I also use Metolius rock rings quite frequently.

Yael Grauer
11-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Really like being able to put my feet in them for things like hip bridges; makes it easier to drive into the heels for one and also playing with height/position.

Craig Brown
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I bought one of the Freestyle Trainers that Tyler makes at ringtraining. Very different in attachment and price...

http://ringtraining.com/shop/freestyle-trainer.html

Wouldn't be so great for travel, but hooks up nuicely to a power rack or chin bar.

Craig

Yael Grauer
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Blair, how does the link you posted compare to the TRX and this Jungle Gym XT thing? Similarities/differences?

http://www.lifelineusa.com/en/products/new-jungle-gym-xt?q=products/new-jungle-gym-xt&detail&detail

Craig, I think that's the same one Blair posted the e-bay link to.

Craig Brown
11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Yep it is. My experience is that I like the handles better than the TRX or the Jungle Gym. It's slightly less easy to set up than the TRX (twin straps). I personally prefer the separate straps. I think the length markers alone make it better than the Jungle Gym, much easier to level the straps. The Jungle gym was also weird that the foot straps were on the side of the handle? The XT version looks like it solves this. Some folks will be annoyed that the strap ends just hang on both the Freestyle and the original Jungle Gym.

Craig

Patrick Donnelly
11-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Wooden rings are nice. I've made several pairs, for myself, friends, and for sale, and they've all turned out at least decently well. Unfortunately, they aren't very tactical.

If you want instability training for the legs, try a slackrope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGJ5lHHME8). Just 40ft of 3/4" manila from Home Depot will do, and it only costs about $40... Add two trees, tie two timber hitches, and you're in business.

(Note: You assume all liability for injuries sustained while trying to walk on a rope. Though it's pretty hard to fall and not land on your feet, as long as the rope is 1-4ft from the ground. But yeah, it's still your decision to try it or not.)

Yael Grauer
11-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I made rings once upon a time out of dog chew toys and a strap from Ace Hardware. It was helpful for doing body rows.

Yael Grauer
11-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I still can't decide between these three. *pulling out hair*

Blair Lowe
11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Which is cheapest?

Yael Grauer
11-09-2010, 01:39 PM
The one you posted is the cheapest, but I do like the company that makes the Jungle Gym stuff.

Ross Enamait further complicated things by sending me a zillion links so I could make my own, but sometimes I just like to buy things.

Blair Lowe
11-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Hmm, a female that likes to buy things...nope, I don't believe that at all.

But, really, toys are fun.

Apparently the TRX knock-offs aren't around anymore but I'd go with Tylers because of the strap system.

Yael Grauer
11-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Hmm, a female that likes to buy things...nope, I don't believe that at all.

OMG he was giving me so much !@#$ for it, it was unbelievable. Luckily I don't have to justify myself when I, say, eat out every couple of weeks. Because really it'd be cheaper and more hardcore if I cooked all my meals myself.

We're leaning towards the Jungle Gym XT because of the neat foot things.

Jeff Yan
12-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I realize I'm a little late chiming in.

The simplest way I can think of would be to go to your local climbing/outdoorsy store and buy a single 15-20' length of tubular webbing, which would cost less than $10. For strap adjustment, I found a pair of these (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664518&cp=3677352.3737589.3690115) to be sufficient although I haven't exactly been abusing the crap out of them to really test their strength. For handles, just thread the strap through some short PVC pipe pieces. A third piece of PVC can be used as a door anchor. Lifeline also sells their door attachment separately for $3, but the one that comes with Jungle Gym I is basically just a piece of pipe. Not sure what you can do about the foot holds, but you can probably figure something out.

Or you could just buy the basic Jungle Gym. I waited around for Perform Better to sell them on sale for $30 with free shipping.

For $20-30, these things are great because they allow people to do pulling exercises like body rows at home if they don't or can't have pull up bars installed or have a place to hang rings.

One last thing, using tubular climbing webbing won't chafe your arms up like regular straps. :cool:

Yael Grauer
12-26-2010, 04:20 PM
We went ahead and bought a Jungle Gym as a Solstice present to ourselves. :) But my BJJ gym has a TRX so we can compare. I don't work out there but I can mess around.

We do have a pullup bar at home, too.