PDA

View Full Version : back angle clarification

Jeff Yan
11-06-2010, 07:46 PM
I've been getting a lot of similar feedback from multiple trusted sources--stuff like:
-drop your butt and take a more upright starting position
-your butt is traveling too fast relative to your shoulders

For the sake of clarification, please compare the back angle coming from off the floor with the back angle during the second pull.

Also, please describe the back angle throughout the scoop.

Thanks!

Pete Gordon
11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
The back angle during the first pull is quite different to the 2nd pull.

Based on the feedback you supplied about your hips rising too fast means that your possibly strong'ish and try to (possibly unknowingly) to use your lower back in the first pull and not your glutes and hamstrings.

The back angle in the first pull stays mostly the same (of course until the bar is gouging the bottom of your knee cap). In the 2nd pull, the angle changes since your preparing the shrug the life out of the bar...when in full extension.

Please look at the 'triple extension thread'. Thanks.

Brian DeGennaro
11-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I've told you this a few times in person too.

Basically, just get your hips set lower than your deadlift and your weight a little more forward, you tend to be totally on your heels at the start of the pull, which makes things harder for keeping a good back angle. From there just set the back and press the legs into the ground like you were squatting, and then at the last possible moment stand up and jump under that bar. That should take care of everything for you if I remember correctly.

Pete Gordon
11-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Some food for thought also, are you moving your knees at the right time? That would have areasonsable impact on yr 1st pull

glennpendlay
11-08-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd listen to Brian.

Brian DeGennaro
11-10-2010, 05:38 AM
And I'd listen to you, Glenn.