PDA

View Full Version : Lateral wrist pain in adv.tuck planche

Troy Kerr
11-11-2010, 06:13 PM
When performing the adv. tuck planche I get slight discomfort/pain in the lateral portion of my wrist. I do Ido's wrist mobility routine in my warm-up and wrist pushups from my knees, and first knuckle raises in 5x10. I currently use the tuck planche for my working sets. But once a week for my planche work I will transition from a tuck planche to an adv. tuck for 8x1. I can hold an adv. tuck for at least 5 seconds, and a regular tuck for 20+ seconds.
Is this just a matter of wrist strength or overall planche strength?

Steven Low
11-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Wrist pain on the radial / thumb side?

that tends to be overuse.

Are you doing hands forward planche on the floor? If so, consider doing hands sideways or on parallettes

Aaron Griffin
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I was wondering what your hand position was as well.

On hand positioning for the planche, what is the "official" hand position for this? Is there a point to training a hands-backward full planche first, and then working the hands forward?

Blair Lowe
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Planche:

On floor is whatever you prefer. On PB, hands to side, on rings, hands backwards.

Troy, do you work your planche's off parallettes or on the floor primarily. You'll find on floor, they can be more difficult and if you can do them on PB but not floor, it can be due to hand/wrist strength.

Gary Ohm
11-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Planche:

You'll find on floor, they can be more difficult and if you can do them on PB but not floor, it can be due to hand/wrist strength.

Boy is that the truth!! I found out just last week. I broke my PVC paralletts and had to go to the floor for my static holds.

My planches took two steps backwards and my l-sits took about a half step back. I think I am going to stay with the floor now.

Troy Kerr
11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
-No Steven, the pain is on the pinky side.

-I train my planche primarily on paralletes. I find skinnier paralletes to be easier to execute the planche on. Although I have played around with the planche on the floor, I always train on paralletes or dumbbells if I'm somewhere without paralletes.

Steven Low
11-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Pinky is medial side man....

That's pretty normal too.

hold your wrist in flexion then radial deviate and just sit there for a bit. Can also massage the ulnar area at that time.

Tends to help me. But ulnar sided pain is also associated with just overuse but certain positions can aggravate it mroe. Try to stay away from those

Troy Kerr
11-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Sounds good. What about strengthening my wrist extensors? What about advancing my abilities in wrist pushups? I have been doing wrist pushups from my knees for over a year and have trouble advancing from a kneeling position to full ROM. Would advancement in wrist extensors strength help or will this position always be aggravated for me?

Steven Low
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Wrist pushups are ok... its better to focus on negatively going slow from the fist down to the back of the hand. That incoroprates eccentric extensor work to strengthen the wrists.

They help most people but they won't help everyone especially if you do them too quickly.

I prefer rice bucket or just general mobility work for wrists and avoiding overdoing them but what can you do heh.

Troy Kerr
11-14-2010, 02:44 PM
So do you think that I should keep on training with the tuck planche ( no wrist pain) and continue to build that strength, and hope my wrist strengthen to where the adv. tuck will no longer be as severe?

Steven Low
11-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Sure.