PDA

View Full Version : To cream or not to cream...

daniel doiron
11-25-2010, 04:23 AM
I enjoy my coffee black, but sometimes would enjoy a tbsp of cream (18% or coffee or whatever).

What would be the effect of consuming about 30 Calories, 3g Fat, 1g Carb, 0.5g Prot in a fasted state ? Would it change anything ?

How much is needed to 'stop' the 'fast' and initiate a metabolic change in energy source ?

Willem Koster
11-25-2010, 11:13 PM
I enjoy my coffee black, but sometimes would enjoy a tbsp of cream (18% or coffee or whatever).

What would be the effect of consuming about 30 Calories, 3g Fat, 1g Carb, 0.5g Prot in a fasted state ? Would it change anything ?

How much is needed to 'stop' the 'fast' and initiate a metabolic change in energy source ?

Martin Berkhan said...

Splash of milk/cream for your coffee will have such a minimal impact on insulin that it's no use making a big fuss out of it. I said 50 calories max to safeguard against people using boatloads of the stuff which is obviously not ok.

Kevin Perry
11-26-2010, 11:33 AM
trace calories will do no harm.

Steve Shafley
12-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Fasting is also a continuum, not a on/off switch.

Christine Beauchamp
02-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Fasting is also a continuum, not a on/off switch.

^^ This.

Being in a fasted state means there's no food in your system and nothing for your body to digest. As Johnny from "The Lean Saloon" said, 50 calories is just like a minor blip of calories in a fast, and does little to nothing negative in the grand scheme of things. I hardly think cream in coffee is enough to break a fast, unless you're drinking half a cup of it.

Paul Epstein
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
on the other hand, it takes very little time to get used to, and even start enjoying, black coffee and tea.

Jane Michel
02-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Hey Paul! Have missed see you around mate!