PDA

View Full Version : Lat pain while jerking

Michael Abbruzzese
12-02-2010, 10:14 PM
When I jerk heavy, I have extreme pain in my lats right by the shoulder joint. I am a powerlifter who is relatively new to Oly lifting. Needless to say I have very inflexible shoulders, and I am still having difficulty establishing a rack position without pain in my wrists and shoulders. A friend suggested that the problem is that I tend to bring the weight back down to the rack under control, as I can strict military press pretty much what I can jerk since it is so new to me. Is it a flexibility issue, or is my friend right?

James Evans
12-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Puerile I know but did you title this thread with a straight face?

Allen Yeh
12-03-2010, 06:23 AM
In regards to the overhead arm positions and rack position with pain in wrists and shoulders. check out mobilitywod.blogspot.com. Kelly Starret has had a ton of videos in regard to the painful front squat rack positioning and overhead shoulder position.

Are you split jerking? Push jerking? Squat jerking?

From the sounds of it it seems like it's a issue with your overhead position.

Allen Yeh
12-03-2010, 06:24 AM

bloody wanker.....

Derek Weaver
12-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Just like that "To Cream or Not To Cream" thread in the IF sub forum.

Grissim Connery
12-03-2010, 10:37 PM
you could try nerve glides. steven low recommended those in a question i posted a while back, and although they may be more for hand health, i find that my shoulders feel so much more mobile after a few sets.

Spencer Mackay
12-04-2010, 01:00 AM

That's all that testosterone.

Troy Paradiso
12-06-2010, 07:16 AM
When I jerk heavy, I have extreme pain in my lats right by the shoulder joint. I am a powerlifter who is relatively new to Oly lifting. Needless to say I have very inflexible shoulders, and I am still having difficulty establishing a rack position without pain in my wrists and shoulders. A friend suggested that the problem is that I tend to bring the weight back down to the rack under control, as I can strict military press pretty much what I can jerk since it is so new to me. Is it a flexibility issue, or is my friend right?

Like you, I too came from a power lifting background and also like you, i had this EXACT issue with my shoulders. Actually, based on where you are describing the pain, this issue is in the rotator cuff stabilizers, mainly, infraspinatus and teres minor, maybe teres major too. These very small muscles take a beating while trying to re-rack the weight under control like your friend said, but ALSO when trying to PUSH the weight up overhead with your arms instead of driving it up with your legs under momentum. My recommendation is try hard to not engage the arms in the drive overhead but really focus on giving the bar a "ride" with leg drive and not allowing the bar to separate off your rack position prematurely.

To treat the injury, the best thing i've found is a tennis ball wedged between yourself and a wall , with you standing sideways to the wall. Put the ball right into the 'tender' spots and press in when you find one, very slowly. Once you find that most sensitive spot, take the arm where the ball is and slowly raise it overhead while you keep pressure against the wall. You can do this maneuver on the ground too but you have more control over the pressure while standing. It's going to hurt like hell but it will get some blood into those tissues and start breaking down the adhesion's.

Hope this helps.

Happy Lifting (and healing)

Steven Low
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Wouldn't hurt to foam roll or basketball rol your chest and lats too.

I think its probably what the post above me says though too.

Most shoulder problems are a result of multiple things going wrong