PDA

View Full Version : Use Of Some Antioxidant Supplements May Increase Mortality Risk

kevin mckay
02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070227171026.htm

Derek Simonds
03-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Kevin I read another article today on the same topic. It would seem that 68 clinical trials could provide a fairly accurate sampling. I really like how they split the trials into low bias and high bias. When they went with just the low bias trials still 180,938 participants it doesn't look so good for beta carotene, vitamin A and vitamin E.

I thought that this quote really summed up what we know about all supplementation.

"There are several possible explanations for the negative effect of antioxidant supplements on mortality. Although oxidative stress has a hypothesized role in the pathogenesis of many chronic diseases, it may be the consequence of pathological conditions. By eliminating free radicals from our organism, we interfere with some essential defensive mechanisms . Antioxidant supplements are synthetic and not subjected to the same rigorous toxicity studies as other pharmaceutical agents. Better understanding of mechanisms and actions of antioxidants in relation to a potential disease is needed,"

I tell people all the time there is no magic pill. Health and Longevity require exercise diet and stress reduction.

It definitely makes you think Paleo is the way to go.

Brad Hirakawa
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I call first dibs.. "The Paleo Pill"

:)

Garrett Smith
03-07-2007, 12:26 PM
It is studies like this, quite simply, that show the negative effects (as in, if it's not part of the solution, it's part of the problem) of isolated, "pure" supplements.

Except in special cases (like iodine, where a measured dose for a certain period is desired), people should get their nutrients from food first, and then from the equivalent of "whole food extracts", as in supplements from Innate Response, RightFoods, and NewChapter.

For those of you who might be using Super Nutrition vitamins, you should know that they use isolated nutrients jammed into a "whole food" base. They are not "whole food based" supplements. I hope you can understand the difference.

Many people already hate this study. I love it. It means that what I'm doing is correct (or at the least, much more correct than the 99-percenters). And people think I take my supplement choices way too seriously....ha!

kevin mckay
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I find that the only things I cant seem to get enough of paleo style are calcium, magnesium, and zinc.

Robb Wolf
03-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I find that the only things I cant seem to get enough of paleo style are calcium, magnesium, and zinc.

Sounds like more organ meat for you my friend!

If anybody read the Hormesis article it talks about why mega dose antioxidants will not provide a therapeutic effect.

kevin mckay
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I have started taking these... do they fit the bill ok?

http://www.jarrow.com/product.php?prodid=77
http://www.jarrow.com/product.php?prodid=98