PDA

View Full Version : Training the Trainers

Pierre Auge
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Hey folks, not sure if I'm alone in this situation but is it a good sign when personal trainers from all over a city of 1 million are coming to get training from you?

Ok so I don't have tons of them but I've got 3 coming consistantly! I'm taking it as a compliment.

Thoughts?

Mike ODonnell
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
It's a compliment...but most general trainers that are coming out nowadays dont know jack **** about mechanics....nutrition...or how to get their clients results. Again....take it as a compliment....but I also think the training industry is a large percentage of people who dont have a real clue....but then again...those people usually work at the big clubs and will be out of the business in 6 months.

Pierre Auge
02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Mike,
these three in particular are older and have been training for several years and in fact have good client bases of their own.

The same thing has come up with each. They don't know what to do with themselves! You're right they don't know jack about mechanics, nutrition or movement for the most part but we aren't in short supply of that here so here they come I guess.

Sorry my question may have been a bit leading.

Mike ODonnell
02-28-2007, 08:42 PM
have been training for several years and in fact have good client bases of their own.

unfortunately....if you have a heart beat and access to a computer and credit card...anyone can be a trainer in 48 hours and then the general public assumes you know everything...so they instantly fork over huge amounts of money and have to keep coming back because they never make any progress.

The best trainers in my mind keep clients only for like a few months....cause they get them to their goals...the rest keep clients for years...who never make any changes and use words like "Core stability".."Bosu ball" and any other fad.

Another trainer I know who has done this for 20 years makes a living training the trainers...cause they dont have a clue....and the worst part...he makes the trainers get in shape...and then the trainers get more business because they look the part and people assume they know what they are talking about. My personal fav is the new popularity of the Ex-pro gone trainer...they look good...played pro something...they must know what to do....Ummm, yeah like they didnt have a S&C coach to tell them what to do step by step??

Forgive my contempt for the PT industry...I'm a trainer...but for the most part it's full of people giving dangerous advice, little training experience, in it for the money only, and keep clients cause they are sucking their bank accounts dry. I'm working on hopefully something to call out all those trainers and force them to shape up, give their clients results or get a job at BK.

Allen Yeh
03-01-2007, 03:28 AM
This reminds me of the article in the CFJ by Rip.
"Conventional Wisdom and the Fitness Industry"

Pierre Auge
03-03-2007, 09:43 PM
mike you're angry about a lot of things aren't you?

I mostly just thought it was humorous!

Mike ODonnell
03-03-2007, 10:55 PM
humor and rant.....Dennis Leary made a career off it....