PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting comp taper examples

Gareth Rees
01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Hey guys,
I have a powerlifting comp in around 2 weeks (its my first one), and I already know how Im going to taper and am already in my final mesocycle. I was just wondering how everybody else would suggest, or plan their own cycles to peak for their own competition. I could give you my plan, so that you could rip it apart if you'd like?
Just to be clear, by this I mean; 1) How would you plan out your intensity, volume, frequency etc. for the final meso. 2) How would you plan your tapering period, that is, how far out, volume, intensity, frequency, exercises, duration etc.
If you could give a brief example of how youd structure it also, then Id be very interested to see your views.
Thanks to everybody for their opinions.

Garrett Smith
01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
From Moscow to Columbus by Jack Reape (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/moscow_and_columbus.htm)

I follow something very similar to this for the last couple weeks, even down to the warm-up scheme (I just don't add the gear or do the board presses).

Troy Kerr
01-07-2011, 07:54 PM
In Mark Rippetoe's book " Practical Programming", he talks about how to manipulate volume and intensity as competition approaches, based on your level of adaptation from novice, intermediate, advanced, and elite. Say you were programming 2 months out. You would induce a high level of volume for month one, then on month 2 you would dramatically reduce the volume and up the intensity. I know there is more to it than that but that is all I have off the top of my head right now.

Gareth Rees
01-08-2011, 06:40 AM
From Moscow to Columbus by Jack Reape (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/moscow_and_columbus.htm)

I follow something very similar to this for the last couple weeks, even down to the warm-up scheme (I just don't add the gear or do the board presses).

Thanks for the link. That was a good read, and quite interesting, I may experiment with this type of method next time, though i have so many new training schemes I'd like to try. At the top of my list is Wendler's 5/3/1 as it seems so simple and fun, and I've heared tonns of good words about it.

In Mark Rippetoe's book " Practical Programming", he talks about how to manipulate volume and intensity as competition approaches, based on your level of adaptation from novice, intermediate, advanced, and elite. Say you were programming 2 months out. You would induce a high level of volume for month one, then on month 2 you would dramatically reduce the volume and up the intensity. I know there is more to it than that but that is all I have off the top of my head right now.

On so many threads I've heard people talk about Rippetoe's 'Practical Programming', so I have finally bought the book, and I'll start reading it right away, and if it's as good as everybody says it is, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from his wisdom. I feel that I already have a fair idea on how to taper, especially after reading Mujika's 'tapering and peaking for optimal performance', and though it's for many sports and not specifically strength/power sports, the basic concepts and principles apply. Any little information I can pick up I'll value massively if it will make me a better coach and/or athlete.
Thanks for your replies guys, and I still welcome anybody else's views.