PDA

View Full Version : Should I grind daily squat maxes???

xi xia
01-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi there,

I started squatting almost everyday about 45 days ago and I got a question about the amount of effort and the speed at which my squats should be moving.

I find a daily max and then I do doubles, triples for a while. Many of my daily maxes are grinders, just a fight to get up. My doubles and trips end up being grinders on the last reps as well. I'm starting to wonder if that is too much weight and I'm doing this wrong??? Or is that the effort I need to output.

I was watching some pro O lifter squat videos and it never seems like they grind a rep out. There is some stalling but it seems always smooth and relatively fast. I hesitate to use a few videos of o lifting legends as that could be the exception to the rule.

I don't have an Olifting coach with this experience to watch me so I'm just going by feel. Any advice?

Xi Xia

Spencer Mackay
01-15-2011, 12:23 PM
I think this would depend on the goal, are you trying to increase your 1RM to help with your olympic movements? I've found that squatting every day can be useful in increasing work capacity, but I've never extended it to 45 days, that's a long time.

I would speculate that if you feel like you're grinding out a lot of the reps that you are doing, you may be closer to your 1RM than you need to be on a daily basis. Having said that, you are completing the reps...

Geoffrey Thompson
01-15-2011, 05:39 PM
For daily squatting, don't grind.