PDA

View Full Version : Clean Critique

Justin McIntosh
01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Looking for some suggestions on how to improve my clean. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5TE3x3Hv8

Pete Gordon
01-18-2011, 03:14 AM
Not too bad mate.

One major thing I see is how the bar swings out quitefar in front of you. More pulls (of varying intensities). You can see the bar drifting away at the 7 second mark. At this point your shins are inclined, when they should be vertical. So I guess my take home comment is monitor your 2nd pulling mechanics. Shoulders & late pulling the bar close to you. Shins vertical.

the starting position is alright.

Brian DeGennaro
01-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Your back isn't set at all, and that bar is swinging out because your weight is practically on the ball of your foot the entire time you are lifting.

Cain Morano
01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
It looks like you don't quite hit full hip extension.

Andrew Wilson
01-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Pete & Brian are both right;

What's happening is you're shooting your hips - hips rising faster than shoulders from the start, they should rise at equal speed like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg92dT2E-ag

When this happens, the hips are moving up, shoulders aren't, so the bar doesn't move vertically as high as it should be if the shoulders were moving at the same speed as the hips. So the bar stays very low, the lifter is forced to compensate by coming onto their toes in the power position (jumping position) you can see this at 0:07. It's like trying to do a vertical jump on your toes. Because the bar is lower via non moving upward shoulders, its further away from your hips aka center of gravity, and more torque is added (bar distance away from body, making it more difficult). So the jump turns into an upright row and the lifter looks like they're dragging the bar up. Which is what's happening in your lift. The thing to focus on this improving the first pull (bar on ground>>>to bar slightly above knees, with shins only changing to 90 degrees as you pull) with a never changing back angle until you "jump" as you'll see in the video I posted above.
Have a snatch video?

Justin McIntosh
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you all for all the help.

Andrew, I do not have a video of my snatch right now. I will try to get one posted as soon as I get a better camera.

Pete Gordon
01-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Justin, following on from Andrew's comments about your shins....I'd like to share some experience / wisdom that'll change your snatch, as well as clean.

Watch the above video of Yuri. His technique is quite good. Please notice how initially as pulls the bar, I like to think that initially he's focusing on taking his shins from a shRp angle to vertical. At this point his shoulders are quite far over the bar. Practicing this 'first pull' will contribute towards you being more efficient.

Also notice as the bar goes from knee height to the hip....his shins are still in an optimal angle...vertical.

I'd really like it if you master the first pull. Practice it. A lot. It takes around 10,000 reps to become somewhat proficient. Use a lighter weight, go nice and slow to master it. Keep the bar super close to, or against your shins. Once the bar reaches your shins. Wait a second, then drive your hips thru the bar.

Let's see some taped reps!!

Brian DeGennaro
01-19-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm just going to butt in and say don't keep the bar against the shins or thighs; friction is going to interrupt the bar path and velocity. If you notice, most [good] weightlifters do not touch the bar until the initiation of the second pull and those that do beforehand lightly graze the thighs.

Justin McIntosh
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I will get some reps on video for some more coaching. Thank you again guys.