PDA

View Full Version : Help Losing the Last Ten Pounds

Charlie Vassallo
01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Hey Guys,

So I'm getting a little frustrated at this point.

I've cleaned my diet and picked up the intensity in my workouts. I just want help losing the hardest weight - the last ten pounds.

My diet is mainly Paleo except for post-workout, where I have 1-2 scoops whey protein and 2-3 scoops Gatorade. Each meal is some sort of protein, veggies and a ton of fruit.

I am doing IF which usually lasts between 14-16 hours.

7:am - Wake up
8:am - Work
12: First meal usually
2-3: try to have another meal (sometimes I can't)
3: home from work and off for a run - I run to CF (50-60 minutes 3x per week)
4: CrossFit -
6: Home and PWO Meal
7-8: last meal of the day

My Workouts are usually like this:

Run to CF 3x per week, the other 1-2 times I walk there (25 minutes)
5/3/1
Westside Hybrid type program
Assistance Work
Prowler/Sled or CF WOD

Where am I going wrong?

Not eating enough?

Should I cut back on the fruit and up the veggies to avoid some more of the sugar?

Thanks for any advice.

sarena kopciel
01-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Where's the fat? And fruit is easy to overdo......

Charlie Vassallo
01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I take 2-3 caps of Omega per day.

Cook with Coconut Oil or Extra Virgin Oil.

Can't do Almonds as they upset my stomach so I'll add Olives at times.

This is not good is it?

Darryl Shaw
01-24-2011, 04:23 AM
AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Weight loss. (http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/body_size_and_shape2/weight_loss)

Charlie Vassallo
01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Anyone else?

Arien Malec
01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Which 10 lbs are you trying to lose? Big difference if you are going from 10% to 5% ( from seeing your abs to seeing your striations) or from 15% to 10% or from 20% to 15%.

In general, you are doing way too much work if your goal is fat loss. Use strength training to keep lean muscle mass, and use diet to take off the fat.

Try 10-12 weeks of lifting 2x week, on a 5/3/1 2x week schedule (squat + bench day 1, DL + press day 2, limited assistance, no metcons/prowler). On those days, eat over maintenance, high carb + protein, with most of the carbs PWO.

The other 5 days, eat high protein, low carb, moderate-low fat, under maintenance.

E.g., if you weigh 180 lbs, eat 2700 calories 2x week on your workout days, and eat 2000 calories 5x week on your non-workout days. Do some light fasted walking every morning.

Charlie Vassallo
01-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm going from 15% to 10%. 195ish to 185.

As for my training, I do not want to give that up. My body and I don't like the two day schedule. I feel useless that way. I like the activity.

My numbers and everything are progressing extremely well. The weight isn't falling off like I thought it would.

My clothes fit really good.

I am by no means big, just want that last ten pounds gone to help me in WODs etc...

Arien Malec
01-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm not saying give up your WODs forever. But weight loss requires taking in fewer calories than your body needs for daily requirements. Doing that in the context of 5x/week intense workouts is a recipe for pounding your body into the ground. 2x to 3x/week, focus on lower volume higher intensity weight training is best for weight loss.

Charlie Vassallo
01-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Perhaps a very stupid question but will I not be burning more calories then I take in?

Arien Malec
01-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Burning more calories than you take in, and taking in fewer calories than your body needs are equivalent statements. But the harder you work your body, the more damage you create that needs to be healed. If you do a lot of work and cut calories to generate fat loss, you are at risk of messing yourself up.

You have to do enough weight training to keep up your lean tissue, but you need less than you expect to maintain. Martin Berkhan's clients do 2x-3x/week and gain lean mass while losing fat. I've been working out every 3 days and improving body comp more than the modest weight loss (1 lb/week) could explain.

Darryl Shaw
01-25-2011, 05:27 AM
I'm going from 15% to 10%. 195ish to 185.

As for my training, I do not want to give that up. My body and I don't like the two day schedule. I feel useless that way. I like the activity.

My numbers and everything are progressing extremely well. The weight isn't falling off like I thought it would.

My clothes fit really good.

I am by no means big, just want that last ten pounds gone to help me in WODs etc...

All you need to do in order to lose 10 lbs at a rate of 1 lb per week is create a calorie deficit of 500 kcal per day. This can be achieved by eating 250 kcal/d less and expending 250 kcals/d more through physical activity. In other words eat less, exercise more.

The eating less part can be as simple as eating 28g less fat per day (28 x 9 =252 kcals) which will have absolutely no effect on your performance or you could play around with the math little and eat 20g less fat (20 x 9 =180 kcals) and 17g less carbs or protein (17 x 4 = 68 kcals) (180 + 68 = 248 kcals total) or whatever. Just remember that cutting fat won't affect your performance but cutting carbs and protein will.

The exercise more part can be as simple as doing an extra 20-30 minutes per day on your least hated choice of your gyms cardio machines or you could go for a run, bike ride or whatever plus walking more, taking the stairs whenever possible and just generally spending less time sat on your ass.

Stick to the plan and ten weeks from now you'll be down to your target weight.

Charlie Vassallo
01-25-2011, 06:48 AM
What should my min. number of calories be a day?

This was my day yesterday:

Calories - 2,062

Fat - 94.8

Carbs - 145.9

Protein - 171.0

100% Paleo/Primal except for postworkout (whey protein/gatorade)

Good? Bad?

Arien Malec
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Just remember that cutting fat won't affect your performance but cutting carbs and protein will.

Darryl, this is a total half-truth. You've completely ignored the impact cutting total calories has on recovery. (You've also ignored the impact that low carb has on fat mobilization, and that high carb has on leptin, but that's in the weeds for this issue).

Kelly White
01-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I would go two weeks without "a ton of fruit" before you make any big changes.

That may be all you need.

Charlie Vassallo
01-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I would go two weeks without "a ton of fruit" before you make any big changes.

That may be all you need.

I realize and am taking steps to do this. Will limit my fruit intake and use in moderation.

Say, in the morning, before my workouts.

Take for today for example.

60-70 minute run
5/3/1
DE Deadlift
Assistance Work
Annie CF WOD (instead of prowler/sled)

So I have to keep my intake of food to solid amounts, as mentioned for recovery and what not.

After this workout, I had to eat PWO, 1 hour later a meal, then 2 hours later last meal. I just felt out of it, until after my last meal.

I do want to lose that last ten though.

My clothes are fitting better and the scale isn't dropping so much, so perhaps my body composition is changing which is a lot better no?

Derek Weaver
01-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Fruit's got nothing to do with it, and you should eat it. It's good for you. Only reduce it if your calories are too high. Otherwise, the vitamins and minerals will do you good.

If you are currently at 195 lbs, your maintenance cals as a very general rule should be in the neighbor hood of 2900-3000 (195 x 15 = 2925 kcal/day). Looking at your activity level, you are likely requiring a bit more food than that just to maintain your bodyweight.

Looking at your day for yesterday, 1/24:

Calories - 2,062

Fat - 94.8

Carbs - 145.9

Protein - 171.0

Good? Bad?

Drastic undereating = Bad.

My recommendations because I would rather see you succeed over a period of 6-10 weeks instead of kick around in threads and still not see your abs (if that's what you want) over 16 weeks would be something like this:

Kick the primal thing. It's fine and all, but it is hard to get enough of anything when you've got an activity level like that. Increasing your starchy carbohydrate consumption, especially around workouts when it is easier for most psychologically, will do you well when it comes to performance. Do this through yams, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes (uh oh), rice (black rice supposedly has more antioxidants than blueberries at a better cost), squashes etc.) These are all more or less "Paleo". Don't get too hung up on it though. Eat to live, not the other way around.

Raise your calories to maintenance for 10-14 days to give your body a chance to recover, hormones to balance out a bit etc. Take a deload over this time period as well. Periodization is effective, no matter what Greg Glassman says. Take a deload. Take a deload. Take a deload.

After that time period, get your calories right between 2500-2700 and avoid a SLAP tear. Adjust as you near your goal or something stops working. Weight loss is often not linear as the body adjusts to acute changes (less fidgeting, more fidgeting, less body heat, more body heat etc. depending on calories/carbohydrate surplus/deficit). Something that will likely do your body good, as well as your sanity would be to time a diet break with your training deloads. Since you should be deloading every 4th week running 5/3/1, make sure you deload your CF stuff, and take a break to eat normally and have a little (just a little) fun off your diet. That means dieting well and disciplines for 3 weeks, chilling out a touch for 1, rinse and repeat. You may reach your goal sooner than you think. Or longer.

Again, 2500-2700. Nothing less than this, and better to be around 2700.

Darryl Shaw
01-26-2011, 05:42 AM

Calories - 2,062

Fat - 94.8

Carbs - 145.9

Protein - 171.0

Good? Bad?

Either of these will give you a reasonably accurate estimate of how many calories you require per day -

DRI Nutrient Calculator. (http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/interactiveDRI/)

Diet Genie Calorie Requirements Estimator. (http://www.runningdeersoftware.com/products/dietgenie-calorie-req.htm)

Don't get too hung up on the numbers though because it's almost impossible to accurately estimate your own calorie intake and you could easily be out by as much as 50%. Just focus on making the small changes you need to cut 250 kcal/d. from your diet. This can be as simple as choosing leaner cuts of meat, cutting down on milk and dairy products or switching to low fat products, eating plain boiled or baked potatoes instead of rice/pasta, cutting down on snacks or just putting a little less food on your plate at every meal. It's up to you how you do it but you really don't need to overthink this stuff.

Darryl Shaw
01-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Just remember that cutting fat won't affect your performance but cutting carbs and protein will.

Darryl, this is a total half-truth. You've completely ignored the impact cutting total calories has on recovery. (You've also ignored the impact that low carb has on fat mobilization, and that high carb has on leptin, but that's in the weeds for this issue).

A calorie deficit of ~500kcal/d will clearly have an impact on both performance and recovery, that's unavoidable if you want to lose weight, but cutting carbs which are the principle fuel used during exercise will have a far greater impact on performance and recovery than cutting fat.

Chris Butler
01-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey Guys,
My Workouts are usually like this:

Run to CF 3x per week, the other 1-2 times I walk there (25 minutes)
5/3/1
Westside Hybrid type program
Assistance Work
Prowler/Sled or CF WOD

60-70 minute run
5/3/1
DE Deadlift
Assistance Work
Annie CF WOD (instead of prowler/sled)

Cortisol anyone?

Kelly White
01-26-2011, 08:18 AM
What I was thinking. Your body might be in survival mode, thinking you are fighting an alien species to prevent world domination.

Charlie Vassallo
01-26-2011, 01:43 PM
First, thanks for all the responses and help thus far.

Now, I just wanted to explain a few things.

I do two long runs a week and they fall in place with me getting to the gym.

The other days, I usually just walk there or run there (no detour - 15 - 25 minutes) depending on what route I take.

On the days I don't have a long run my routine goes like this.

5/3/1
Strength
Assistance
Prowler/Sled or WOD

Now about foods. I don't like to eat grains and am not a huge fan of pasta so that's no problem. I can do without breads except for on Sunday when I like to eat a few pieces. I enjoy sweet potatoes, squash and have been incorporating that into my diet more often. I have no need to worry about junk as I'm not really into that unless its a cheat day. As for other foods, i enjoy the paleo/primal way but will start to incorporate other foods as mentioned.

I think I'm having such a hard time losing the last little bit, because I'm simply just not eating enough with the amount of activity I'm doing.

I just want to be sure I'm eating enough for recovery and performance and be able to avoid some dumb injury because I'm lacking nutrients.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Charlie, I answered each one of your questions. So did just about everyone else.

You've already explained your training schedule, and it's a fairly high volume of training. Strength for what I'm guessing is 4 days/week w/ 5/3/1 (that's fine), assistance, Prowler or sled or WOD (most around here would say ditch the WOD. I won't argue with them) Plus, 2 runs and what sounds like a lot of NEPA since you also walk to the gym when you're not running there. A total of 6 conditioning/cardio workouts, 4 strength workouts and a lot of Non Exercise Physical Activity. You eat too little and you're training too much.

RULE: the higher your training volume, the smaller your deficit. No other discussion necessary.

You sound determined, and I want to see you succeed. Go get it, adjust as necessary, listen to your body.

Charlie Vassallo
01-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Charlie, I answered each one of your questions. So did just about everyone else.

You've already explained your training schedule, and it's a fairly high volume of training. Strength for what I'm guessing is 4 days/week w/ 5/3/1 (that's fine), assistance, Prowler or sled or WOD (most around here would say ditch the WOD. I won't argue with them) Plus, 2 runs and what sounds like a lot of NEPA since you also walk to the gym when you're not running there. A total of 6 conditioning/cardio workouts, 4 strength workouts and a lot of Non Exercise Physical Activity. You eat too little and you're training too much.

RULE: the higher your training volume, the smaller your deficit. No other discussion necessary.

You sound determined, and I want to see you succeed. Go get it, adjust as necessary, listen to your body.

Thank You for the help.

Will play with the macro/micro-nutrients and see how it goes.

I just now need to hammer down the post workout meal and i'll be good to go.

Blair Lowe
01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Have you looked into the data that says that fat burning is optimal after waking up. Basically it states, you should stay in this fasted zone for 1-2 hours, possibly doing fasted cardio. Yes, it's slow and long but it's easy to recover from. Think brisk walking or jogging. Something light to just burn some calories.

Grissim Connery
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
i don't think anybody asked this:

do you want to lose weight for performance (assuming bodyweight exercise performance), a weight class, or to look good?

Derek Weaver
01-27-2011, 12:44 PM
i don't think anybody asked this:

do you want to lose weight for performance (assuming bodyweight exercise performance), a weight class, or to look good?

It doesn't matter. The methods of doing so are the same regardless of doing a handstand, making a weight class, losing the "non functional weight" (fat), or to see the abz.

Eat less, move a little more. Rinse, repeat. Only pull out the tricks like morning fasted cardio etc. once progress stalls and such tricks become necessary. Getting to 10% shouldn't require such tricks and could be counter productive with all of his current activity.

John Alston
01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Disagree Derke - It does matter b/c that's going to determine what kind of focus one can do. If you need to drop a weight class to compete in a sport, you're going to have to be careful you don't compromise your performance.
If you want to show some abz and don't care about performance, then you will have other options not available to the above competitor example.
When I hear about getting serious about losing an amount of fat, my mind goes to lifting, walking and diet control - the kind of thing that wouldn't work on Charlie's hyper schedule, but would work for me since I'd be willing to sacrifice somethings like "conditioning."
So Chuck - fat loss, strength, conditioning, all that crap - I think it's too many foci. Fat loss and maybe one other for a bit would be my 2 cents.

Derek Weaver
01-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Regardless, the principles still do in fact, hold true.

Eat less, move a little more. Fat loss is fat loss.

If it's someone who is looking for performance, his training volume is going to be a little higher than someone who just wants to look good. In which case the point that Darryl made, and then I made as well, that the caloric deficit needs to be smaller is the general principle to remember.

Someone who wants to get a little abby for the hell of it (nothing wrong with that), can do something more like the walking, lifting and eating much less ( a whole lot less, like a PSMF/V Diet thing). An extreme deficit with a high volume of training would be a poor choice. I speak from experience on that one.

Either way, the principles are still the same with the application shifting.

OP has said he's got a crazy training schedule that he seems to like and want to maintain as best as he can. I agree that he's chasing too many rabbits, but he's said he likes his WOD, needs to run for whatever reason, and I'm not going to tell someone who is after fat loss to stop lifting, and 5/3/1 is a decent approach since intensity is modulated by the set up. So, small deficits, with disciplined training deloads and diet breaks become the basic template given his situation.

Where is the disagreement?

Arien Malec
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
I agree that he's chasing too many rabbits, but he's said he likes his WOD, needs to run for whatever reason, and I'm not going to tell someone who is after fat loss to stop lifting, and 5/3/1 is a decent approach since intensity is modulated by the set up. So, small deficits, with disciplined training deloads and diet breaks become the basic template given his situation.

Where is the disagreement?

I think we are all saying the same thing. Charlie would be more successful chasing fewer rabbits for a while. Concentrate on fat loss for 10-12 weeks, scale down to lifting and walking 2-3x/week, hit the fat loss goal, and return to the conditioning goals at that point.

If he doesn't want to do that, he needs to accept a lower deficit and concomitant slower rate of fat loss, or accept bad things (under-recovery, strength loss, worsened performance, etc).

Grissim Connery
01-27-2011, 05:27 PM
i ask b/c i see time as a limiting factor.

balancing sport training, strength, and conditioning is a time burden. i just feel that if you're already putting plenty of time into conditioning and you aren't seeing the fat loss, then either you're at your good performance weight, or you need to take time from the others and specifically work at fat loss.

on the other hand, long ass LSD may improve your conditioning for the better, so maybe you'll get a performance boost anyways.

but if you just want to look good, put your time wherever it needs to go

Charlie Vassallo
01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
I have cut my runs to twice a week (just two long runs a week). I am prepping for a 30km race.

As for everything else, its not to show abs or anything, its just to feel good and improve overall personal performance. I know the abs are all diet and strict diet control.

I don't feel sluggish, lack recovery or anything like that, and that's the thing, you would think I would.

I listed my days as being 5/3/1 + Assistance and then at times the WOD or prowler work.

And this is to much for fat loss?

Perhaps the post workout whey protein is?

So, if I were to change my routine up, how would it look to optimize the most amount of fat loss?

Run = walk
5/3/1
WOD

And done or totally different?

Its just I can't eat solids after some of the intense workouts, I would rather drink.

Derek Weaver
01-28-2011, 02:15 AM
I have cut my runs to twice a week (just two long runs a week). I am prepping for a 30km race.

As for everything else, its not to show abs or anything, its just to feel good and improve overall personal performance. I know the abs are all diet and strict diet control.

I don't feel sluggish, lack recovery or anything like that, and that's the thing, you would think I would.

I listed my days as being 5/3/1 + Assistance and then at times the WOD or prowler work.

And this is to much for fat loss?

Perhaps the post workout whey protein is?

So, if I were to change my routine up, how would it look to optimize the most amount of fat loss?

Run = walk
5/3/1
WOD

And done or totally different?

Its just I can't eat solids after some of the intense workouts, I would rather drink.

The bold and underlined part changes everything.

5/3/1 + assistance and either Prowler OR WOD is too much. Not only that, but it is far from optimal to run a race of 30km.

Better idea, and stay with it to get an idea of where fat loss ties in and may come from regarding training, food etc.:
Lift no more than 2x/week. Short and sweet. Any assistance should be of the injury prevention variety, focusing on trunk control, mobility and strength around your hips (special attention to the glute med.), knees and ankles. Enough upper back work to maintain good posture. No need to introduce more training stress than necessary. Maintenance should be the mindset until after the race.

Actually train for the race by putting in the mileage. This means absolutely nothing resembling CFE. I can't think of anything less conducive to a successful 30km race than the WOD (mainpage or CFE), other than not training at all. In the paraphrased words of Mark Twight: In order to go long, you must train long.

Diet:
@ 195 lbs, your BMR, not factoring in the endurance work that's required is 2900-3000 kcal/day. I wouldn't be surprised to see you needing closer to 3500 or even higher in order to maintain once your mileage kicks up. Endurance work burns a ton of calories due to the volume/duration.

It is very easy to run a caloric deficit while training for an endurance event. Best not tinker with your food until necessary, and be willing to even bump calories if need be. Under recovery is a great way to burn out and get hurt fairly early in the game.

Look to get at least 1 g/PRO/lb/day. Minimum of 1.5 g/CHO/lb/day. .5-.75g/fat/lb/day. Adjust carbohydrates upwards as training load increases, weight falls too fast, or general feeling of under recovery begins to set in.

And regarding the whey protein PWO. Liquid nutrition is fine and often preferred following cases of heavy training. Besides being easier on the GI tract, it is a great way to help get adequate caloric load when the demand is high. From a health standpoint, whole food coming from as close to the natural source is obviously best, but if everything else is dialed in, there's not much to worry about here.

Just my semi humble opinion. I will freely admit that my knowledge of all this is still developing, but I do have enough knowledge to know that the current program you've got going isn't going to work well for you come race day. I also have a feeling you'll still do Fran next time it comes around. I note these things because I identify with you a bit and mean no offense.

Best of luck and let us know how the race goes.

Grissim Connery
01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
The bold and underlined part changes everything.

totally

Troy Kerr
02-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Forgive me for not shifting through all four pages to find this, but have you tried a paleo zone approach? Definitely helps keep portions in check, and cycling it for 4 weeks at a time did me wonders. Im not going to lie, it can be a pain with the slight feeling of hunger, but it definitely helps drop the fat, as well as maintain performance. Just food for thought.
Also, I feel like your biggest issues besides overloading on fruit throughout the day is your post wod. It will not matter how well structured your workouts are, if your post WOD carb is sugar ( gatorade) and your portion is high, 30-45 carbs worth. It will def. impact your fat loss. Robb Wolf and OPT have both spoken about this, OPT even used to make recommendations on his blog based on one's bf%. Basically the lower your body fat, the more carbs you consumed post wod.

Derek Weaver
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
The gatorade has nothing to do with it for an already lean individual. If he is healthy, and has no metabolic condition, such as diabetes/pre diabetes, it is by and large going to be a calories in/calories out situation.

Prepping for a 30k race is the most important piece of information that somehow didn't get into the original information when this thread was started. Trying to fit that race in with the lifting, CF and prowler work, while focusing on fat loss is a losing cause 100% of the time.

My bet is that if our OP has heeded the advice in this thread by dropping most of, if not all of the CF stuff, and focused more on running and lifting for durability, he'll drop a bit of fat unintentionally. Slight caloric deficit, more training at a lesser shock to the system = leaner, fitter, ready to race. As he nears 10% it may be a little different, but the tricks and tactics that some need to get into the 10% or below range are by and large inappropriate for him.

Charlie Vassallo
02-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Guys, I've taken all of your advice in this thread.

Thank you for all of it. That's why this website ROCKS.

5/3/1 + assistance and either Prowler OR WOD is too much. Not only that, but it is far from optimal to run a race of 30km.

I also have a feeling you'll still do Fran next time it comes around. I note these things because I identify with you a bit and mean no offense.

Best of luck and let us know how the race goes.

The thing is this.

I ran a Half Marathon with no training (runnning - purely CF/prowler etc..) and posted a decent time for a first timer. So after that race, I figured I might as well stick with what I was doing and continue doing it for the 30km race. I know totally wrong approach.

As for Fran, I wanted badly to do it the other day, but I skipped it when it came up in the WOD at my box. It was hard but I had other plans.

Forgive me for not shifting through all four pages to find this, but have you tried a paleo zone approach?

Also, I feel like your biggest issues besides overloading on fruit throughout the day is your post wod. .

Yes I follow Paleo. It has been hard lately - wifey is preggers and can't stomach and smells of cooking even basic of foods - so what I am to do? Know what I mean.

I know my Post WOD Shake is my biggest problem, but I am learning as to what to replace the carbs with another form. I just can't stomach to eat something after an intense WOD so that's why I use the liquid.

If I can find a liquid that is healthy (not sure if something exists) I will sub out the gatorade. Any help on this would be awesome.

The gatorade has nothing to do with it for an already lean individual. If he is healthy, and has no metabolic condition, such as diabetes/pre diabetes, it is by and large going to be a calories in/calories out situation..

I am about 10 or so pounds from where I want to be and then I'll be set. My abs are starting to show (on the sides) and my stomach is getting flatter and flatter. I just need to shed the last ten or so. As for the gatorade, I am not super lean (say a 8-10% BF).

What I have done though to my training is put the runs (two a week) on my off days from CF/Strength Training so that I'm not overloading and running a calorie deficit day.

Thanks everyone for the support.

Chris Butler
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
If I can find a liquid that is healthy (not sure if something exists) I will sub out the gatorade. Any help on this would be awesome.
Apple juice

Charlie Vassallo
02-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Apple juice

How much and do you recommend a particular brand?

Thanks

Guys, I had someone suggest the following for PWO:

250mls. of a natural unsweetened fruit juice (grape and blue berry or apple) with a small jar of "fruit mix" like apple sauce and a medium banana that way you have glycogen replenishment with a liquid (fruit juice) and puree and a solid (banana) that way your body replenishes for the full 60 minute window available + Protein (like my protein shake)

How does this seem?

Steve Shafley
03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
This is the ugly truth: Fat loss is NOT linear. Fat loss can be railroaded in the following situation:

1. You're doing TOO much.
2. You're eating TOO little.

This combination actually tends to stall weight loss, especially that last bit.

John P. Walsh
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
This is the ugly truth: Fat loss is NOT linear. Fat loss can be railroaded in the following situation:

1. You're doing TOO much.
2. You're eating TOO little.

This combination actually tends to stall weight loss, especially that last bit.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to fat. Right Shaf? ;)

Steve Shafley
03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
http://primordialstrengthsystems.com/images/brad_neck_train.jpg

Simon Lowell
01-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Hi Charlie,

Try this workout http://www.jacksayz.com/2012/01/11/the-fast-fire-workout-express-fat-stripper-muscle-strengthener/ whilst dieting and supplementing it should give you that extra boost.

Best of luck and let me know how you got along.

rgds,
Simon

john arthor
01-03-2013, 07:41 PM
The other 5 days, eat high protein, low carb, moderate-low fat, under maintenance.If you weigh 180 lbs, eat 2700 calories 2x week on your workout days, and eat 2000 calories 5x week on your non-workout days. Do some light fasted walking every morning.

Hall James
02-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Hi Charlie,
To lose 10 pound take small but frequent meals and prefer raw food over processed food. Avoid skipping meals specially breakfast as it boost your metabolism and gives you nutrition and energy for day time activities. Drink more water than routine, start drinking green tea and avoid beverages, soda and diet soda. Avoid eating late and stick with your workouts.
grayslake chiropractic (http://www.grayslakechiropractors.com/)