PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on programming

Joshua Straiton
01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm going to use this cycle for a while, built around 5-3-1 with my own added volume. Suggestions or opinions are welcome.
The front squats and overhead squats are for technique/speed and volume.

Thursday
Snatch-Work up to (65%x1, 70%x1, 75%x1)x2
Deadlift- 3x5 (245, 280, 320)
Pause Front Squat (155x2x4, 185x2x4, 215x2x4)
3 rounds
Goodmornings- 10
Hanging Leg Rasies- 8

Saturday
Power Clean+Jerk- Work up to (65%, 70%, 75%)x2
Bench Press- 5x3 (170, 195, 225)
4 rounds to failure (20 max)
Dead hang Pullups
Dips
3 rounds no rest
10 Dumbell rows/arm
15 Jack Knifes

Sunday
Light Snatching technique work
Squat- 3x5 (200, 235, 265)
Pause Overhead Squats- (115x2x4, 140x2x4, 165x2x4)
Extensive Planks, Accumulate 10 minutes

Tuesday
Cleans- Work up to something that feels good
Press- 3x5 (105, 120, 135)
4 Rounds to failure (20 max)
Dead Hang Pullups
Dips
Barbell rollouts 3x8
Back Extensions- 5x15

Samuel Hughes
01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I like it. Simple program, great but limited exercise selection. Any reason you are doing OH squats after ME Squats? OH squats won't add much volume (i.e. don't make good "back off sets" and I would be too tired to push intensity and maintain stability/technique. I imagine you'll mix rep schemes over time, but I have really liked 5x3 (or even 8-10x3) instead of 3x5 for power.

Overall, looks like a lot of fun.

Joshua Straiton
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback Samuel.

I want to keep the overhead squats because they allow me to work on overhead positioning which I value highly for core strength and simply balance. I love them, and I know I will be using light weight, but I'm trying to mimic a speed variation squat. We will see how it goes. If i don;t like how it feels, I will switch to something more like 3x10 reps for volume.

I hope it is fun, I'm excited to see gains in strength.

Joshua Straiton
01-25-2011, 06:23 PM
and Samuel, we also have very similar stats, I weigh 160 and my deadlift is 415, squat 345, power clean 195, press 175, bench press 300 lbs.

Just something I found interesting. What do your workouts look like?

Pete Gordon
01-26-2011, 12:34 AM
I have a few questions.

Why do squats then overhead squats? You've explained that you want to build your overhead position and core strength. But why do it after what I presume to be back squats.

If you want to work on your overhead position, you could always do something like 'Snatch + overhead squat', for example snatch 1, overhead squat 2x.

I'm also unsure about the clean & jerk work, then bench pressing.

People really shouldn't mess around with 5/3/1, it's a good workout. Adding stuff to it, only dilutes it.

Food for thought anyway.

Joshua Straiton
01-26-2011, 03:45 AM
I understand that. I am used to a lot of volume, and I wanted to keep my olympic lifting in there somewhere. The clean and jerks will not affect my bench press much, actually I'm counting on them to prime my nervous system for benching because they are low intensity and will allow my shoulders to activate more fast twitch fibers. Just my thoughts on that.
And the overhead squats are simply for more volume, rather than doing high volume back squats i wanted to build positioning with high volume overhead squats. That was my reasoning behind it if it wasn't clear. Maybe if i don't like how it feels ill stick an overheadsquat/snatch complex into one of the days.

Samuel Hughes
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
and Samuel, we also have very similar stats, I weigh 160 and my deadlift is 415, squat 345, power clean 195, press 175, bench press 300 lbs.

Just something I found interesting. What do your workouts look like?

First off, I'm with Pete in that I'd do your OH squats before back squats or in conjunction with snatches. Not a huge deal though and if it clicks for you the way you have it.. rock on.

I'm a little bitty body builder at this point, haha. I have dabbled in lots of programs and continue to mix it up. Basically I have a squat day, a press day (bench, dips, and incline), and a pull/shoulder day (Deads, overhead, rows) . I just hit a workout as my body feels recovered. Reps, sets and exercises have varied over time, but I like 5's for upper body stuff and 3's for squats generally. I would LOVE to get into oly but I'm the most knowledgeable guy around at the moment and thats just not going to cut it for coaching. My log is titled "#4" I think.

EDIT: log is actually linked in my sig now that I look at it.

Samuel Hughes
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
And the overhead squats are simply for more volume, rather than doing high volume back squats i wanted to build positioning with high volume overhead squats. That was my reasoning behind it if it wasn't clear. Maybe if i don't like how it feels ill stick an overheadsquat/snatch complex into one of the days.

I have trouble doing OH for volume (thinking sets of 5+). If it were me I'd pair them with snatch and add volume as extra lighter squats or sled work(best option IMO).

Joshua Straiton
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
That's sounds like a lot of fun Samuel.

I'm in love with olympic lifting but I can't keep up a cycle for long before i piss off an only back injury. I realized that your log was linked right after I posted haha. You have some cool workouts, the combinations of exercises were interesting.

I wish I had a sled to do some pulls with, but until them, I may have to take your advice and switch out the overhead squats for lighter back squats and place my overhead squats after my snatches.

Samuel Hughes
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
That's sounds like a lot of fun Samuel.

I'm in love with olympic lifting but I can't keep up a cycle for long before i piss off an only back injury. I realized that your log was linked right after I posted haha. You have some cool workouts, the combinations of exercises were interesting.

I wish I had a sled to do some pulls with, but until them, I may have to take your advice and switch out the overhead squats for lighter back squats and place my overhead squats after my snatches.

Yeah, my shit is all over the place. I wish I had a proficient coach and could really devote myself to oly, but I don't. The learning curve is very steep for self-coaching and I HATE being a beginner. You did well to discovered them early in your training.