PDA

View Full Version : the myths and truths of skipping breakfast

Paul Epstein
03-07-2011, 09:09 PM
the importance of breakfast is a topic which seems to get every arm chair nutritionist fired up.

i have made a habbit of skipping breakfast for a few reasons... i cycle to work and dont like riding on a full stomach, i am trying to stick most to a paleo plan and struggle to find time to make a paleo breakfast and i am trying to restrict calories to drop a class and find it the easiest meal to miss.

but the arm chair nutritionists tell me that its actually detrimental because im slowing down my metabolism. is there any science behind this?

i usually have a double espresso when i get to work so is this enough to counter act this metabolic slow down?

and if this slowdown is true wouldnt my metabolism already be slow from fasting all night - in this case i should push my last meal of the day as close to bed time as possible to mitigate this effect - something the arm chair nutritionists also tell me is bad to do:confused:

one thing i have noticed is that if i skip breakfast i rarely get hungry until lunch but if i have a moderate sized breakfast i am absolutely starving by lunch time... is this telling me something?

Jane Michel
03-08-2011, 07:45 AM
http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Steven Low
03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Generally, no.

The human body is very efficient with its metabolism that skipping meals here and there is ok or eat more meals here and there is fine as well.

As long as you don't have a dysfunctional metabolic state

Grissim Connery
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
i normally don't care unless i'm working with a diabetic patient. my peers get flustered at me because i skip breakfast a lot too, but that's just because i normally throw up unless i wait at least 3 hours to eat.

Justin Z. Smith
03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for this thread. I was always wondering about this!

Justin

Rick Raymond
07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Short answer is no a little longer answer
http://intermittentfastingforums.com/index.php/topic,10.0.html

John Alston
07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Eating more later might even be better
http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

Steven Low
07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah, eating later makes good sense *IF* not in a dysfunctional metabolic state.

Body repartitions nutrients better while sleeping since that's when it releases most of its growth hormone, testosterone, etc. plus that's when it repairs its tissues the most. Basically, you want the nutrients during the most potent anabolic state which is sleep.

Steve Shafley
07-31-2011, 07:02 PM
That IF forum is having a hard time getting off the ground.

Steven Low
07-31-2011, 07:45 PM
That IF forum is having a hard time getting off the ground.
Food is tasty :)

Nathen Cloud
04-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Obviously skipping of break fast is a dangerous habit. It slow down your energy level and you observe lack in body metabolisms. A healthy break fast prepares you for tough day and gives you enough energy.

Humprey Dumprey
04-25-2013, 01:51 AM
I agree with Nathen Cloud... breakfast makes my day.. I can skip lunch whenever I have heavy breakfast then I'll just have light meals at night.