PDA

View Full Version : Re-testing

Troy Kerr
05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Re-focusing my efforts to only handstand,l-sit, planche, and front lever are going a lot smoother. I now have a 15 second tuck planche after 6 weeks of training. I need to re-test front lever progress, however my negatives have been getting a lot smoother. At this point I am finding training splits difficult. Currently I have been doing HS,l-sit, Pl, FL statics and 1-2 concentric movements towards the end. I switched to trying Straight arm work aka statics on day1, then day 2 doing bent-arm strength movements such as HSPU and FL-pulls This allows me to get in some leg work aka squats or cleans on either day. Although I am making solid progress, I was wondering if there are some other, ways of splitting up training. Such as a pressing day or a pulling day? I notice I that I am feeling pretty beat up between training days, even though I have been taking deload weeks every 4 weeks.

Steven Low
05-04-2011, 07:38 AM
What is your schedule per week?

Troy Kerr
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Currently I have been using a MWF routine, that was statics + concentrics. I have been playing around with MT+TRF routine, but found that the concentric work had me pretty sore. Strength is growing though. last night I split jerked 255lbs, when previously I could get 185lbs

Steven Low
05-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Push/pull, straight arm/bent arm, and upper/lower are the best type of splits for bodyweight.

I particularly like push pull because it can be split between lower body as well of which squatting is obviously pushing and deadlifting and such is pulling.

Straight arm/bent arm is fine too.

M/Tu/Th/F of push/pull might work a bit better for you if you can distribute leg stuff on like Tu and F or something

Troy Kerr
05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah those look like they would work nice. How would you advise I go about training volume day to day? My primary push work is planche for statics. As far as Handstand training goes, I fell off of consistency a bit, and would like to start working back towards press-to handstand. L-sits I can hold for 10-15 seconds.
Seeing as how my training is split, what I am getting at is should I add more work to each day-to day workout?

Steven Low
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
2-3 upper push, 1lower
2-3 upper pull, 1 lower

HS and L can go everyday if you want.

Could combine lowers into one day if needed

Troy Kerr
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds good Steven. I appreciate the help man. How's your training going these days?

Steven Low
05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Trying to get back into the hang of things

Troy Kerr
05-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I hear ya man. I am having some issues with my pulling work. As in too many options. My goal is overall front lever improvement. However I would love to advance towards higher level ring abilities as I progress. Right now i rotate static work with negatives. From there i am unsure the best route to program additional movementzs. I feel like it would only make since to use front lever pulls, which are very tough for me. From there I am not sure whether to use some sort of pull up variation, or start developing strict muscle up work. Right now Bulgarian pull ups are pretty easy. I have read multiple recommendations from Ido Portal about developing strict muscle ups before moving onto OAC progressions.
Basically I am confused on how to organize and rotate the volume and intensity of these movements right now for a stronger fl, and eventually more advanced strength.

Steven Low
05-08-2011, 12:56 PM
You definitely want to develop 60 RTO support, muscle ups, some form of RTO dips, and some variation of planche work before moving onto OACs (besides 50% weighted pullups)

Troy Kerr
05-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Right now I can manage 2 rto dips. Would an rot support take the place of l-sits due to the similar shoulder position?

Troy Kerr
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I have not trained bulgarian dips in my routine exclusively yet. I would assume it would be smart to train these before moving onto rto dips?

Steven Low
05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
RTO support should eventually be propagated to RTO L-sit. I do not think you need to eliminate L-sit progressions in the meantime though.

I do not believe bulgarian dips are useful in that context but you can progress through that progression if you want. The alternative is parallel ring dips then progress to RTO as you improve.

Blair Lowe
05-10-2011, 02:30 AM
Sounds like your ring dip strength is around where mine is, Troy. I've tinkered with the idea of doing wide arm dips on the parallel bars or russian dips. I also set up two blocks and do a dip that starts learning forward towards something like a bent arm elbow lever, wanna be bent arm maltese.

Leave the bulgarian dips till you can do parallel ring dips. RTO dips after you can do Bulgarians.

Right now, I just set up a new program where I work rope pullups and ring dips on Tu and F. M&Th I work a basic ring series involving muscle-up then negative muscle-up 3x3 to go along with body lever, block maltese and HS to shoulderstand on rings (it honestly doesn't work very well going from shoulderstand to invert hang).

I had been meaning to do levers and ring support work 4d/week but now I'm leaving to just Tu/F due to the 5 sets of body lever, block maltese, and ring HS to shoulderstand (which I'm gonna replace with press HS).

I think this should work well for me. I had intended to do ring dips instead of hands turned out dips on blocks but I was too tired to support on rings. And yes, sleep and eating are pretty shitty for awhile to be coming up

Troy Kerr
05-10-2011, 03:12 PM
So far my push pull days are looking like this:
HS statics alt./ between stomach to wall freestanding, and bent arm straddle presses to hs.
L-sit: 3-5 sets of 5 second holds. Some days I feel good with these and others they're tough. I will monitor the progress.
Push Day;
Tuck planche; 6x8 second holds
RTO support hold: 6x10 seconds
PPPU on rings: 3x3

Pull: Adv. Tuck Front Lever: 6x8 seoncd hold OR Half Tuck Negatives
Straight arm Front Pulls: 3x2 or Front lever pullups
Muscle up transitions or 1 arm rows 3x8

I have yet to tinker with the pulling day at all yet so some of the numbers are skewed. I will rotate the PPPU's with the bar dips as well. I was messing around on the parallettes today and did a tuck HS roll to a bent arms straddle planche, and was able to get a decent press. Could be a fluke since I had some extra energy today. Just though it was of decent note.