PDA

View Full Version : Poliquin's Books

Robert Allison
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I am thinking of picking up some of Poliquin's books and was curious to hear some feedback from others.

Is there any information in the books above & beyond what you would find in his T-Nation columns? If so, which two of his books would be the best? My interest is primarily in general health & fitness, and training for athletic performance.

Mike ODonnell
03-07-2007, 10:51 AM
didn't even know he was selling a book...funny....I am sure you can pick up 75% of his theories through all the articles he writes...but he also has alot of stuff he prob doesnt cover and some of it is "out" there....

Greg Everett
03-09-2007, 09:06 AM
the only one i know of is 'poliquin principles', which is 10+ years old. i'm sure he has newer material out. if i recal correctly, PP is concerned primarily if not exclusively with bodybuilding. for that, i remember it being pretty good. considering your interests, i wouldn't place that book high on my recommendation list.

Steve Shafley
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Uh, his published books I've seen, Poliquin Principles and Manly Weight Loss, were ok, but nothing to write home about.

Neal Winkler
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
A new edition of the Poliquin Principles is out. I got it not knowing it was mostly about bodybuilding. After taxes it cost about $55 and was not worth the money, given that the font was somewhat large, and there were many pictures. This drastically cut down on the amount of information in the book. If it were cheaper it would be a nice little reference for bodybuilding, but you can get plenty of other books on the subjects that are much more in depth for less of a price.

Robert Allison
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The ones I was thinking about are Modern Trends in Strength Training and Applied Strongman Training for Sport.

FWIW, you can see all (I think) of his current titles here:

http://charlespoliquin.com/store/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=d4b3c4f2015858ce44373fad7f7e6b82

I was hoping to find some copies for cheap on Amazon or maybe Overstock.com, but no such luck. Given that there don't seem to be any overwhelming endorsements of his books, I may just do a fairly serious review of his articles on T-nation.

Mark Fenner
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The ones I was thinking about are Modern Trends in Strength Training and Applied Strongman Training for Sport.

I've leafed through Applied Strongman Training for Sport. It's not bad ... I can look at it more closely if you really want an opinion before you buy it. How much is it? (A friend of mine has it) On the strongman training front, I do recommend Building the Ultimate MMA Athlete by the Diesel Crew ... somewhat MMA specific, but if you are looking for nifty exercises, this book will do the trick. It has lots of stuff with kegs, tires, hammers, bands, etc.

Regards,
Mark

Robert Allison
04-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi Mark,

If you have a chance to take a closer look, I would really appreciate some further feedback. The book goes for $39.95, and since it is apparently just over a hundred pages, I would like to have a better sense of whether it's worth that much.

Thanks for the heads up on the Diesel Crew book--I hope to check that out in the near future. Have you read Training for Warriors?

http://store.speedtrainingstore.com/trforwatereg.html

From what I understand, it doesn't really focus on strongman-type training, but I have heard some good things about it.

Chuck Kechter
04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Training for Warriors is very good! Not strongman at all, but very oriented towards fight training -- especially MMA.

Mark Fenner
04-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Training for Warriors definitely gets a thumbs up. Rooney writes well and covers many important topics. The one thing the book is missing ... let me double check ... (flip, flip, flip) ... yup ... is a longer term (even weekly) plan for the MMA athlete. Now, I know, everyone is going to need their own plan ... for example, in the Diesel Crew book, I laughed at their longer term plan (although I later reconsidered and like what they're trying to get you to do).

However, I like at least seeing the thought process that goes into developing longer term programming. It helps me put the author's little pieces into big pieces. The dynamic warm-up chapter near the beginning of Training for Warriors is practically worth the cost of the book, in my opinion. I think you can purchase the book on Amazon pretty cheaply, btw.

Less MMA directed (more stand up), is Cosgrove's book "Martial Arts Conditioning". It has some nice stuff in it -- complexes and ideas for making complexes suck (more). Note: I'm not sure if this is the same book as "Secrets of Martial Arts Conditioning" which is newer.

I'll take a look at the Poliquin Strongman book next Wednesday (after the holiday) and get back to you ... I forgot about it last night.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Fenner
04-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Sorry this took so long: Easter and some troubles with Verizon .... anyway

So, I'm looking at "Applied Strongman training for sport" by Poliquin and McDermott. If I recall, you said it was about $40. So, here goes.

Chapters: Intro, Sled, Farmers Walk, Super Yoke, Log Press, Tire Flipper, Complexes

Book is about 110 pages.

We can all get a lot out of the intro, sled, farmers, log press, and complex chapters. Yoke and tire require specific equipment or substitutions. Farmers walk and log press can be done with standard dumbbells and barbell. Sled can be improvised a number of ways.

Sled chapter is ~35 pages. Many different types of pulling. Some routines at the end. Good detail on how to execute different drags.

Farmer's walk is 20 pages. Fewer variations. Some good tips.

Rest of chapters are about 15 pages each except tire which is 10 and complexes which is 5. Log pressing variations are a bit weak (press, jerk, incline presses, etc.).

Overall, probably not worth $40 bucks but probably worth $20. So, it comes down to dropping an extra case of beer on a decent book.

Regards,
Mark

Robert Allison
04-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback!

Pretty much confirms what I was thinking on the Poliquin book. At $40, a 110 pg book had better be filled with pure gold. But I would drop $20 on a used copy just to satisfy my curosity.

I am definitely interested in Training for Warriors and some of the other Parisi stuff...