PDA

View Full Version : Paleo Cocoa (70%) Balls

Steve Liberati
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Any one else addicted to these? Making a batch (12 balls) almost every other day now. Each balls comes to about 5 grams of fat each. Perfect snack for taste and extra fat blocks. Sure beats measuring out a 1/3 c of olive oil if your keeping score at home.

If Robb doesn't introduce his highly anticipated "Paleo Bar" sometime soon, I might take these commercial:) Keep a look out for them at the checkout counter next time your at Trader Joe's:p

Mike ODonnell
03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Are you talking about Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls?

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=TV_Shows&movie=South_Park/Episode_209_Chefs_Salty_Chocolate_Balls&quote=209_chefsong.txt&file=209_chefsong.wav
(this is a sound byte...might not want the volume up too loud at the office...)

Steve Liberati
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Ha....now your on my maturity level Mike....thought the same thing right before hitting the "post" button. But no, not those balls.

Neal Winkler
03-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Paleobar!

https://www.forresthealth.com//demo/view_products.php?pagesid=2&pagid=208

Steve Liberati
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
nice!....with exception to the whey protein isolate (paleo??), glycerine, and Maltitol Syrup. Anyone try it?

Joe Marsh
03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Steve, where can i find the recipe?

Steve Liberati
03-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Almost positive the recipe is from the Dec 06 PM Journal. My adope program is acting dumb right now so I'm unable to check for you.
Here is my own version (which is very close by the way):
1/2c almond meal (TJ's)
1/3c cocoa powder (TJ's)
1/4c coconut oil (cheaper to buy the flakes from a health food store).
3 drops of stevia extract (NOW)
2 packets of splenda
1/4 stick of butter
1/8c coconut milk
1/8c heavy creamer

Combine sugar and cream over medium heat. When hot add chocolate. Stir. Put in freezer for 10mins. Roll in balls. Back in freezer for 10mins. Enjoy!

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
so easy even a caveman can make it.....

Joe Marsh
03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Awesome, Thanks Steve.

Nathan Stanley
04-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I always have a problem getting them to be firm enought to roll into balls. I do really like them though.

Steve Liberati
04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I always have a problem getting them to be firm enought to roll into balls. I do really like them though.

Try putting the batch in the freezer for 10 mins before rolling into balls....or as I just recently started doing, just slap the batch on a paper plate after done cooking...put into freezer for 30mins or more and then brake off into pieces like your eating a frozen choc bar.

Also just bought a tub of Virgin Coconut Butter from Green Pastures to use as a substitute for regular butter. Not only better tasting, but packs a nice serving of Omega-3's as well.

Nathan Stanley
04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Like the idea of the coconut butter. I'll check that out. I've been doing pretty much what you suggested and putting them in a pyrex tray and then the freezer, then cutting them into bars.

Yael Grauer
04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I do half coconut oil and half cocoa powder, with honey to taste. Stick it in the fridge or the freezer if it's an emergency, or use it as chocolate sauce. Delicious! Haven't made these since I found out cocoa powder has cockroaches, however. I wonder if my cacao nibs are safe.

John Alston
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Yael, roaches are, I believe, paleo friendly, and as wild, un-tamed animals should be considered a prime source of healthy, natural protein.

Yael Grauer
04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
They're also disease vectors! Whatever happened to "eating clean" huh??

I got quite good at killing roaches in my old apartment, does that make me a good hunter?

Artemis was always my favorite Goddess...