PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Bench Training Log

Ricardo Costa
07-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Finally deciding to set up a log in a couple places and like the people, knowledge and wide range of exposure here.

Background: Competitive Powerlifter who recently moved to just Bench Only competitions because of old USMC injuries. Multiple State Championship's in 2 weight classes.
Dropping down a weight class due to injuries and taking a hiatus from excessive Squatting and DLing. Recently moved to a modified Paleo Diet to help weight loss and for overall health. went from 270 to 243 (as of yesterday) looking to maintain my strength while losing excessive body fat and improving health.

Follow typical Westside template, but have attempted most programs under the sun. I even was exposed to some great people at "Mike's Gym" while I trained for Powerlifting next to some great coaches and athletes for a couple years, awhile back.

Last meet (April 30th, 2011) i completed a 650 lb bench on second attempt and couldn't lock out right side on a 661 third attempt, @ 270 body weight. I am training for an August 20th Meet and look forward to seeing where my strength is as my weight loss has been pretty drastic for a such a short period of time!

Hope you guys enjoy and if you have any input or questions please don't hesitate to post!

Ricardo Costa
07-09-2011, 11:40 PM
i will jump right in with yesterday's workout:
7-8-11
Speed Day
Mobility Warm up

Speed Bench
185 W/ Monster Mini Bands
8 Sets of 3

DB lying tri ext - 50 lbs
5 sets of 10
*SUPERSET with
Incline Bench Hammer Strength
using Light short bands only
4 sets of 10
**Pausing at bottom for both and focus on explosion

Dips BW
3 sets of 15

Side raise 25 lbs
3 of 15 *** Superset with
Plyo pushups
3 sets to failure

Recumbent Bike 15 min

Today's work is all about speed and explosive power (push through any sticking points)
with some body weight wok thrown in.

Costa
ocstrengthclub.com
rhinopowergear.com

Ricardo Costa
07-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Extra Work:

Mobility Warm up

KB Swings - 36lbs
2 sets of 100 (30L, 30R, 20L, 20R)

TGU - 15 lbs - 5L, 5R
2 Sets
** Superset w/
Standing Elbow Strikes w/ Heavy Bag (Great rotational work/cardio)
4 Sets of 15L, 15R

Ball Slams - 2 sets of 30

Bike 15 mins
Sauna 10 mins (Stretching)

I have to say starting this log helped me get out of the door this morning and head to the gym. I love doing extra workouts for recovery, cardio, mixing things up etc., but they are easy to skip over when the life "pops" up, you know, the babies diaper is full AGAIN, you gotta mow the lawn, your wife wants you to bath the kids, your chasing the neighbors cat out of your kids sandbox for the umpteenth time.

Anyways this log will help me bypass life's daily challenges and make sure i put in the work.

I am 6 weeks out from my next comp in Norwalk, CA and staying focused is the key while i lift heavy and keep working my Paleo Plan.

Costa
~Rise Above~

Ricardo Costa
07-11-2011, 09:27 PM
ME Bench:

Mobility Warm Up

Bench
Bar x10
135x8
225x8
275x5
315x3
385x3 off padded 1 board

Shirt work
495x2 - 2 board
545x1 - 2 board
585x1 - 3 board
605x1 - 3 board

DB Flat Bench - 80lbs - Palms facing each other
3 sets of 20

DB lying rollback tri extensions
50 lbs 6 sets of 10

DB Cleans - 20 lbs 3 sets of 12

Haven't gone over 455 in 2 months and now I weigh 25 lbs less so just getting the feel of heavy weight in my hands again was the goal for today. I have to work some more boards for my lock as my right side lagged a little bit tonight. Boards are very important when you start to work with max weights as you need that 2nd gear to get going at the midway point and instead of failing at the top you lock it out strong! I always get teased for my board work but that is where my speed work off the chest comes in, if you explode off your chest, you must have the lock out power to complete the lift.

Toying with the carb intake on this Paleo Diet, since it is my ME day i had a sweet potato for lunch and then the wife had a stir fry style dish with meat, kale, bell peppers squash, zucchini, cauliflower all on a small bed of white rice. Tasted great and filled me up! She has been great preparing all these meals, i think i've eaten more vegetables in the last month as i had my entire upbringing! After a long Monday at the office trying to make sure i have enough gas in the tank to work out for 2 hours.
Luckily, I have a good group of guys, S. Hoekstra, D. Smith, and the rest to help load weights, lift off and give the weekly trash talk, to get me going!

I have been staying off the creatine, tribulus, pre-workout drinks etc, as i cut this weight but this is the last week by friday i will get some creatine and tribulus going, it has always helped me in my recovery and my strength gains, the trick will be to make sure it doesn't add to much water weight. At first i am just going to take it on my gym days to see how my body reacts. As long as i can stay in the 240's, I can make the 242 lb limit.

Costa
~Rise Above~

Ricardo Costa
07-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Back Work:
Mobility Warmup
Hammer Strength High Row (warm up for pull ups)
2 sets of 15 - 90 lbs

Pull Ups
6 sets of 6 - 5 different grips
**Superset w/
45 degree back extensions
6 sets of 8

Shrugs
3 sets of 15 - 100 lb DB's
**Superset w/
EZ Curls
3 sets of 10 - 80 lbs

Rear Delts
3 sets of 12 - 75 lbs
**Superset w/
Decline Sit ups
3 sets of 15

Chest Supported Rows
3 sets of 10 - 195 lbs
**Superset w/
Hammer Curls
3 sets of 10 - 40 lbs DB's

Sauna 10 min (Stretching)

Ok, so I have to say that, I am a huge fan of supersets! You'll see a lot of them on my Speed/Dynamic days. I just feel that I get a huge return by keeping the work intense, my heart rate up and and kind of like the "runners high" where i just feel great by working hard and pushing myself to work harder than the next guy! Just the competitor in me i guess.

I also got to the gym at 8:45 pm as the wife put the kids to bed, so I know how all of you feel after a long day at work, its hard to get to the gym sometimes, just keep focused on your goals and work your plan!

Food is going great, i had Latin flavored sautťed chicken with kale for dinner and lunch was chicken salad in a romaine wrap (taco)! Never in a million years would i have thought i would eat a taco using lettuce instead of a tortilla! I was the Taco King, but as life progresses i guess so must I. Somebody eat a Taco for me somewhere tomorrow! I am enjoying eating Paleo and my energy is consistent all day compared to before, so there is a big difference.

~Costa~
Plan Your Work and Work your Plan!
ocstrengthclub.com
Rhinopowergear.com
uspla.org

Ricardo Costa
07-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Speed Bench:

Bench w/ Monster Mini Bands
Bar x 20
Bands 2 sets of 10
135 2 sets of 3

165 3 sets of 3 Close Grip - finger on smooth
185 3 sets of 3 Med grip - between smooth and rings
185 3 sets of 3 Wide grip - pinkies on the rings

Close Grip Bench w/ monster minis - Index finger on the Smooth
135 3 sets of 10

DB Lying Tri Ext (Rollbacks)
50 lbs x 10
60 lbs x 10
70 lbs x 10

DB Shoulder Complex - 25 lbs
Bent over raise - side raise - front raise (palms facing in)
2 sets of 8 - one movement to the next

Dips - Body weight
1x20
1x20
1x10 - triceps gassed out

Bike 15 mins

When it comes to speed benching first thing is you have to leave your ego at the door, its not about how MUCH you lift, it's how FAST you lift it! As Louie S. preaches, Force is Mass x's ACCELERATION! Do you want to break through those sticking points, get faster not stronger. That's what the Bands teach you, explode off your chest and lock out strong.

All excerises were done with 1 minute rest between sets.

Huge success this morning - Reached 242 lbs on the scale!!!
its been 4-5 years since i was a 242er (my new weight class), when i was a 242er i walked around at 245-250 and i would cut weight for my competitions. walking around at 242 is a huge plunge for me. In just over 2 months i dropped 28 lbs. I got to 256 on my own and now on the Paleo Diet for 3 1/2 weeks i've dropped another 14 lbs. The goal is to get to a solid 240 and start my creatine, protein shakes, tribulus, etc. i figure the supps will put on a few lbs, but i hope to keep leaning out and just up the strength.
Robbwolf.com preaches to just give him 30 days and for me that comes next wednesday and i am already a believer!

I will say my strength is a little down but i feel primed to build it up as my body adjusts to the new weight and i react well to getting the supps in my system. So I did start my Super pump 250 today (only 6 g of carbs per serving - no sugar) it has always worked good for me as a pre workout drink. Only on gym workout days.

Speaking of the gym i do get some of my work in at the local gym by my house/work it's a great place to train, they even sponsored me last year for the Mr. Olympia Bench Invitational. Repsforlife.com they let me use my bands, rack pull, bring in my kettlebells, just a great all around place to train.

~Costa~
What were you doing Friday night???
I hit the gym early and now off to Poker night with friends!!!
I'll be the one drinking water as they down the Cerveza.

Ricardo Costa
07-17-2011, 12:31 AM
In all my busyness this week i forgot to mention that i was invited to compete at the Mr. Olympia Bench invitational for the second year in a row, which is real exciting! Last year was a blast to get around some of the best benchers in the country with a really cool atmosphere to compete. I can't wait, it is Sept 17th about 9 weeks away.

Right now i had been gearing up for an August 20th meet which i will still do as a tune up for the Olympia and my goal is an american Submaster (age 35-39) record and top 20 all time 242 bench press! Looks like 2 really fun meets coming up shortly!

As a recap last year's Olympia was just a heavyweight class 275+ I was the lightest at 265lbs competing with 308's and Superheavyweights and out of 7 guys i came in 4th with a 639 lbs bench. This year is a little different with guys in each wt class and I will be going down to 242, so it will be interesting. This tune up meet will give me some confidence and prepare me for the bright lights of Vegas!

Thanks for any and all support.

~Costa~
Time to go to work!

Ricardo Costa
07-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Extra Work:
In the front yard while the kids played on the swing set and in the dirt.

KB Swings - 36 lbs
2 sets of 100 (30L, 30R, 20L, 20R)

KB Windmills
3 sets of 13 (13L, 13R)

Ab Wheel
3 sets of 6
** Super set w/
KB Side bends
3 sets of 10 (10L, 10R)

KB Goblet Squats
2 sets of 15

KB figure 8's
2 sets of 50

Just trying to get some work in, burn some calories, and not waste a day to get better.

Costa
~Rise Above~

Derek Weaver
07-18-2011, 12:09 AM
That is cool about the Olympia. Your training lets me know how un-big and un-strong I am.

Pretty awesome though.

Ricardo Costa
07-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the post Derek (you were the first brave soul)!
In any program consistency is the key and with you doing PLP it seems like you don't have any trouble in that department. We all have are strengths and weaknesses the key is to accentuate your strengths and develop your weaknesses. Your commitment obviously shows with your log, now just continue to go after your goals!

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
07-18-2011, 11:17 PM
ME Bench:

Mobility warmup

Bench:
135 2 sets of 10
225 x5
315 x3
365 x5 padded 1 board
405 x3 padded 1 board

4 Board Bench:
405 x5
445 x3
475 x2

DB Bench - palms facing in
100 lbs - 3 sets of 15

DB Side Raise
30 lbs - 4 sets of 8

My midsection was a little tender today from the KB work yesterday but it is a must for me, the last thing i need is for my low back or midsection to get loose while I am lowering and contracting hundreds of pounds over my chest. Staying tight throughout the entire lift is mandatory whether it is your warmup or your maximum effort!

My volume was a little less than normal today, just because i was more focused on the lock out work and the DB Bench. I jumped up 20 lbs from last week on the Db's and wanted to make sure I had a little left in the tank to work my full range of motion. I will probably get some upper body restoration work in tomorrow after my son's practice in the evening.

-Costa-
ocstrengthclub.com
uspla.org

For some great wrist/knee wraps that give awesome support yet comfortable check out Rhino Power Gear on Facbook!

Derek Weaver
07-19-2011, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the post Derek (you were the first brave soul)!
In any program consistency is the key and with you doing PLP it seems like you don't have any trouble in that department. We all have are strengths and weaknesses the key is to accentuate your strengths and develop your weaknesses. Your commitment obviously shows with your log, now just continue to go after your goals!

~Costa~
Rise Above

You obviously haven't seen me Weaver myself yet.

I'll keep following along with this log. I figure I'll pick up a few things just as a spectator.

Ricardo Costa
07-19-2011, 09:46 PM
You obviously haven't seen me Weaver myself yet.

I'll keep following along with this log. I figure I'll pick up a few things just as a spectator.

No I haven't seen the "Weaver" yet, i guess i will have to wait for that one.
But thanks for the support and if you have any questions please feel free to post!

~Costa~
Plan your Work and Work your Plan!

Ricardo Costa
07-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Well today ended my 30 day challenge from Robb Wolf and his Paleo Solution and i can say i dropped a solid 14 lbs, down to my goal of 242 lbs! before that i dropped 14 lbs for total 28 in 2 1/2 months. I will say i am somewhat surprised at how easily it was to lose those cravings for grains and to accept all the vegetables I am now eating, but i am very happy that i have switched over to a more nutritious eating plan.

I will say that i do have a very good metabolism and it was always a chore to maintain my weight at 270, i was constantly eating and most of it bad, but it was a necessary evil to stay at that weight but my metabolism never gave me justice at my attempt to be a full 275'er. I wanted to walk around at least at 280 and drop down for meets but my body was always self regulating so that is why I believe dropping this weight was not really that bad, the first 14 was easy, the 2nd 14 was more work for sure, but now with new eating habits i believe i can feel better and look better!

Also, the inflammation is way down, people today are riddled with inflammation problems and my past injuries were greatly affected by inflammation. By adding more Omega 3's and getting rid of the grains, the stamina in my joints has vastly improved.

Now i have to admit i did get an order of fries and some soft serve, today at sizzler as a small celebration (carb loading, haha) so i am far from perfect, as we all have our weaknesses, but even those weren't that great and i have always been a fri-aholic!

Eating the way the cavemen did just makes good sense, so i hope a lot of you will look into making better choices. We are all performance driven, so i wish you luck in your pursuit of excellence!

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
07-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Back Work:
7-20-11

Mobilty warm up
Hammer Strength High row - warm up
100 lbs - 2 sets of 15

Pull Ups - BW
7 sets of 6 - 3 different grips
** Super Set w/
45 degree Back Extension - BW
6 sets of 10

DB Shrugs
100 lbs - 3 sets of 15
** Super Set w/
EZ Curls
80 lbs - 3 sets of 10

Rear Delts (Pec Deck)
75 lbs - 3 set of 12
** Super Set w/
Decline Sit Ups
BW - 3 sets of 10

DB Alt Curls
40 x 8
45 x 8
50 x 8
** Super Set w/
CS Rows
180 x 10
180 x 12
180 x 12

Abs (upright ab / dip station)
Straight Leg - Leg Lifts
3 sets of 10

Elliptical 15 min

Good work tonight, i needed it, after a hard day at work. To end my day i tested out one of our work trucks and it broke down on the freeway in 90 degree heat and I had to sit/stand there for 2 hours! The therapy of the gym makes life more bearable. These doctors need to give out gym memberships and ditch the anti-depressants!

My real break through tonight was on the elliptical, bear with me, for the last year all I could do was the recumbent bike and if i did the elliptical for 10 min i was downing pain killers to numb the pain in my feet. Now for me I love endurance feats, while in the Corps I ran 5k's, 10k's, Triathlon's, mud runs, pack runs, endurance swims, 20 mile hikes (while intoxicated), etc., so for me to get 15 min on the elliptical pain free (after standing on the side of the freeway) is awesome!!! I think it is 2 fold: definitely the weight loss is huge and i feel like all the grains and dairy lead to inflamed joints and muscles.

So now, that i am leaner and less inflamed i was able to come home, down my shake and wrestle with my son for 45 min without even thinking of soaking my feet and grabbing the ibuprofen bottle!

I'll take PR's where ever I can get them, even on the elliptical!!!

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Speed Bench:
Friday 7-22-11

Mobility warm up

Bench w/ Monster Mini Bands
Bands 3 sets of 10
135 x3

165 x3 - 3sets Close Grip
185 x3 - 3 sets Med Grip 1 min rest between all sets
185 x3 - 3 sets Wide grip

Close Grip Bench w/ Monster Mini's
135 x 10
135 x 10 1 min rest between all sets
135 x 8

Lying Tri Extensions (rollbacks)
50 x 10
60 x 10
70 x 10

Rear Delts (Pec Deck)
75 - 2 sets of 10

Dips
BW x 20
BW x 18
BW x 15
1:30 rest between sets and static hold at the top at end of the set

Elliptical 15 mins

Felt Great in the gym tonight, I did have to rush since they close at 10 pm on Friday night so had to keep a fast pace, but luckily got a little nap when i got home from work so it helped me have some energy tonight.

4 weeks out to the Norwalk meet where i am trying to set an American Submaster Record and 8 weeks out to the Olympia! 4 weeks seems like not enough time, so glad it's a tune up for the bright lights of Vegas.

~Costa~
ocstrengthclub.com
uspla.org

99 Problems, but a Bench aint one
-Super Training Gym

Ricardo Costa
07-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Active Recovery:

Battling ropes
10 min
1 min on - :30 off

Lats and shoulders a little sore, so i just wanted to get the blood flowing and move those areas around and the rope works great for that. No big deal just documenting the training.

~Costa~

Derek Weaver
07-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Good elliptical PR. Sucks about the truck though.

Ricardo Costa
07-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks Derek!

Max Effort (ME) Bench:

Mobility Warm up

Bench:
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3 padded one board
405 x 2 padded one board

Shirt work:
495 x 2 - 3 board
545 x 1 - 3 bd
585 x 1 - 3 bd
600 x 1 - 3 bd
585 x 1 - 2 bd

DB Bench: (palms facing in)
120 x 10 - 3 sets
80 x 20

DB Clean
20 - 3 sets of 15

News Flash - Losing weight affects your strength and takes time to transition!

I am very happy with all my weight loss of 30 lbs has done, for my quality of life, now I have to start to build up my strength at this new weight class. I feel great, I look better and I feel like i just added some years to my life. But now, time to get back to mankind's true essence - I can lift a bigger rock than you can!

Really it's just a mind game, and excepting a set back in strength and then building upon the new attributes that i have attained.

I am lucky to have good workout partners that put up with all the sets, board holding, lift offs, etc. But they have been too nice in this process, somebody tell me that i suck, I need some haters to get the blood flowing. Passion is great, but proving somebody wrong really gets the weights going.
Anybody???

~Costa~
-Strong Minds, Build Strong Bodies-

Ricardo Costa
07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Extra Workout/Active Recovery:

Mace Bell Swings
3 Sets of 40 (20L, 20R)

I love using my Mace. Tonight just got the blood flowing in the Shoulders and tri's, it's great after a heavy day to help loosen up and speed up the recovery process.

My Mace is homemade, off a you tube video from Steve Maxwell. For under $20 i made a Mace i have been using for over 2 years! It is also a great core, cardio, and grip workout. I highly advise adding this piece of homemade equipment to your toolbox.

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
07-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Back Work:
7-27-11

Mobility warmup

Pull Ups - BW
5 sets of 8 - 2 different grips
** Super Set w/
BB Good Mornings (wide stance)
4 sets of 8

Shrugs DB
100 3 sets of 15
** Super Set w/
EZ Curls
80 x 10
90 x 10 - 2 sets

Rear Delts
85 3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Decline Sit Up
3 sets of 10

DB Alt Curls
1 x 10
2 x 8
** Super Set w/
CS Rows
3 sets of 10

ABS
Leg lifts off Dip Bars (uglier than using the back supported leg lifts)
3 x 10 straight leg
1 x 10 knees to chest

Stepmill 10mins

Got some good work in, i was happy i was able to bump up my pull up sets to 8 reps. By the time Olympia comes i need to be doing 10 rep sets no problem.

FYI, the Stepmill sucks! (in a good way, i guess)

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
07-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Speed Bench:
Fri 7-29-11

Mobility warm up

Bench:
Bar x 15
135 x 8
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5

Rev Band Bench:
365 x 5
405 x 3
455 x 1

DB Tate Press
50 x 15
70 x 12
80 x 10
90 x 10

Face Pulls
3 sets of 20

Dips
BW x 20
BW x 20
BW x 18

Eliptical 10 mins
Bike 18 mins

So after 3 weeks with the Monster minis I like to break it up and work the speed in a different way. The Rev Bands help you to be explosive out of the bottom position and concentrate on utilizing your speed from the bottom to make a smooth transition to the top as the weight gets heavier. Like i said just another take on how to generate speed in your lifts. I do wish i dropped it back down just to get a little more volume.

Felt strong on my dips. I am trying to incorporate some more body weight training as it is a great representation of your strength as you manipulate your body, especially when you weigh over 200 lbs.
No offense to the smaller guys but it is harder when you get swole like us heavy weights. At the end of boot camp, I did 44 kipping pullups at 170 lbs, right now at 241 lbs i could "probably" do 14 kipping pullups. I guess I'm not 17 years old anymore either, but that's besides the point.

Also bumped up the cardio tonight, just trying to burn some calories and start the weekend right. I do feel like it is getting easier, so that's a good sign.

~Costa~
-Strong Minds, Build Strong Bodies-

Ricardo Costa
07-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Extra Work:
Sun 7-31-11

Mobility Warm Up

The Magic 50
50 lbs DB

5 rounds of : 1-1:30 min rest between (should be 1 or less)
5 DB Snatches (each Arm)
5 DB Swings (each Arm)
10 Burpees

Standing Elbow Strikes w Heavy Bag
3 sets of 40 (20R, 20L) 30 second rest

Hanging leg raise
3 sets of 10

Hanging Oblique knee ups
2 sets of 20 (10R, 10L)

Eliptical 15 mins
Sauna 10 mins (stretching)

The Magic 50 from Rosstraining.com is no joke please take out 10-15 mins out of your day grab a DB and complete 5 rounds and after you finish stumbling around let me know how it went!

GPP, Metcon, Conditioning, whatever you want to call it, is a great asset to what ever endeavor you participate in. You know the saying "exhaustion makes cowards of us all!" it is so true and being in great condition will only benefit you in so many ways.

~Costa~
-Pain is weakness leaving the body-

Ricardo Costa
08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
ME Bench
Mon 8-1-11

Mobilty warm up

Bench:
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 5 - 2 brd
405 x 2 - 2 brd

Shirt work:
495 x 3 - 3 brd
545 x 1 - 2 brd
585 x 1 - 2 brd
620 x 0 - 3 brd

4 Brd Bench: (pinkies on the rings)
405 x 5
435 x 3
455 x 1

Tate press (low incline):
50 x 15 - 4 sets

Starting to get use to the heavier weight and flaring my elbows to lock out at the top which is helping me have more confidence with my technique. Trying to get use to the longer stroke since I lost the "2 board" of my gut, but all the technique work on speed days are starting to pay off and get me comfortable transitioning from mid point to lock out. Technique is key when lifting maximum weights and something that needs to be dialed in when getting ready for a comp.

Made progress tonight and that is enough, need to keep building on the small victories to get to the big picture!

~Costa~
Keep your Eye on the Prize

Ricardo Costa
08-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Back Work:
Wed 8-2-11

Mobility Warm up
High Row - Hammer strength Warm up
90 - 2 sets of 15

Pull Ups BW
5 sets of 8 - 2 grips
** Super Set w/
BB RDL
4 sets of 15

EZ curls
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Body Weight Row
3 sets of 10

Rear Delts
85 - 3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
DB Shrugs
80 - 3 sets of 20

DB Windmill
30 x 10
40 x 8
50 x 8

Bends and Thrusts
2 sets of 25

No direct AB work today, still hurting from Sundays Magic 50 and Hanging Leg Raises!
Great work tonight, my back and arms got swole!

Had to dust off one of my old favorites - Bends and Thrusts!

~Costa~
Get Some!

Ricardo Costa
08-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Speed Work:
Fri 8-5-11

Mobility Warm Up

Bench w/ Mini Bands
Bar x 20
135 x 10
135 x 10
205 x 3 - 3 sets close grip
205 x 3 - 3 sets med grip
205 x 3 - 3 sets wide grip

Floor Press: Close grip
225 x 10
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
225 x 15

Tri Pushdown (rope)
1 x 15
1 x 12
1 x 10

Inc Press (hammer strength)
90 - 3 sets of 15

Dips
BW + 50 - 2 sets of 10
BW - 1 set of 20

Had my son and wife's birthday celebrations were this weekend so had 2 cheat days back to back, but i'll get back to my veggies and meat again tomorrow.

Since it's Sunday, i can say that this workout left me sore, i think the combo of floor press with weighted dips fried my chest. I dropped the bands to regular minis for a couple weeks after i did monster and reverse, then i will go back to monster mini's as i ramp up for the Olympia. You have to cycle the bands, chains, and straight weight just to mix it up and to work on all phases of explosion off the chest.

Can't wait to put up some heavier weight tomorrow and keep working my lock out!

~Costa~
Speed, I am Speed

Ricardo Costa
08-09-2011, 08:25 PM
ME Bench:
Mon 8-8-11

Mobility Warm Up

Bench:
135 x 10
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5 3 brd
405 x 5 3 brd

Shirt Work
495 x 2 - 3 brd
545 x 1 - 1 brd
570 x 1 - 1 brd
600 x 0

4 board
405 x 5
455 x 0 - got pissed, immediately took of the 25's and went again
405 x 5
405 x 5

well mondays sometimes can be difficult for heavy days and this was one of them, work was tough and then i get to the gym and i forgot my ipod at home and the 80's metal that was on wasn't doing it for me. But those days happen and you just have to push through them and get better despite all the negatives that surround you.

Yesterday was cool as i got to buy a pair of jeans that were a size smaller than what i have worn for many years. Progress is always nice.

~Costa~
If I can't do it, Homie it can't be done.
-50 Cent

Kevin Perry
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Damn nice work man

Ricardo Costa
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks Kevin, checked out your log and your a little beast yourself. I did the 531 program when it came out and liked it, it definitely simplifies things for you and can work wonders by just doing the things that matter. anyways keep working hard and thanks for the post!

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
08-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Back Work:
Wed 8-10-11

Mobilty Warm Up
Lat Pulldown warm up
2 sets of 15

Back Ext
5 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Pull Ups
BW 5 sets of 8

DB Alt Curls
3 sets of 8
** Super Set w/
DB Shrugs
3 sets of 15

Hammer Strength 1 arm row
1 x 13
2 x 10
** Super Set w/
Leg Lifts on dip station
3 sets of 10

DB Rear Delts
3 sets of 15
** Super Set w/
Hammer Curls
3 sets of 8

DB Windmills
40 x 10
45 x 10

Standing Elbow Strikes - Heavy Bag
3 sets of 40 (20R, 20L)

Elliptical 18 Mins

Felt great tonight! My body is starting to turn it on and just wants to keep working, it should be a good few weeks of training ahead!

~Costa~
Only the Strong Survive

Ricardo Costa
08-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Speed Bench:
Fri 8-12-11

Mobility Warm Up

Speed Bench w/ mini bands:
Bar x 20
Band x 10
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3 - 3 sets close grip
205 x 3 - 3 sets wide grip

Floor Press:
225 x 10
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
245 x 15

Tricep Ext - EZ curl bar
8 behind the head, 8 to forehead, 8 to upper chest
80 x 24
70 x 24
60 x 24
50 x 24
50 x 24

DB Front Raise
30 x 12 - 4 sets

Elliptical 15 Mins

Great work, speed is up!
Tried the tri ext that i saw in Brandon Lilly's log at Lexen Extreme, it is similar to Dave Tate's tricep Death in that it fries your triceps and is is a good follow up to the bench and tri work already completed. The weight wasn't impressive but the speed day isn't about impressing it's about getting faster, better technique, and working the weaknesses and that's what happened tonight.

I still have plenty of work to do for my meet in September, but it's starting to come together.

~Costa~
-It's simple, get faster so you can get stronger-

Ricardo Costa
08-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Extra Work:
Sun 8-14-11

Mobility Warm Up

KB Swing
2 sets of 100 - 30L, 30R, 20L, 20R

Ab Wheel
3 sets of 8

Burpees
2 sets of 20

Sandbag 1/4 Turkish Get Up
2 sets of 20 (10L, 10R)

Need to get some extra workouts in this week, I have my Tune up meet this coming Saturday so tomorrow night is my last heavy day and working on my opening attempt. But my weight has creeped up this last week because of all these birthday outings (Poker birthday party last night and my niece had her B-day today) so i wanted to go back up to 245-246 but came in this morning at 247.5. I know the 4 bitthdays in the last week kind of messed me up, so i will get some extra workouts in and take off fewer days than normal for a meet. I usually take off the last 5-7 days before a meet to be fully rested and anxious to compete but i need to get some work in this week so i can overcome any bumps in the road that could come up in future meets.

Water intake has been lacking last week so we will get that up as well. Hydration is huge, do any research on water intake and you are lacking performance quickly if your hydration is not optimal!

~Costa~
Drink Water!

Ricardo Costa
08-15-2011, 10:05 PM
ME Bench:
Mon 8-15-11

Mobility Warm Up

Bench:
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
385 x 2 padded 1 brd

Shirt Work:
495 x 3 - 3 brd
525 x 1 - 1 brd
550 x 1

Tate Press
50 - 5 sets of 10

What a day! it was in the 90's at the garage gym tonight, i forgot my shirt at home and had to go get it and get a late rushed start and work this week is going to be the busiest of the year so far!

But I can't complain this is a perfect scenario for meet week as you need to be comfortable while being uncomfortable. Life is always going to mess up your plan so this is great as i am using this meet to get me ready for next month.

The goal is to break the American Record in the sub master class this saturday, build confidence in the shirt ("dial it in"), and have some fun with a good group of guys!

Side note: used my lever belt unbuckled just to hold the shirt down, juggling the idea of pushing the envelope to having the weight touch and feeling good with the pressure of all that weight in the bottom portion of the lift.

~Costa~
Get Strong or Die Trying!
-Super Training

Derek Weaver
08-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Good luck this weekend.

What are the planned openers?

Ricardo Costa
08-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Derek!

My attempts have been agonizing because i am going to do something don't normally do, try to go 3 for 3! Now typically that is blasphemy because i don't like to waste a meet on playing it safe i try to push it, and get a pr when it counts!

But i feel like I need to have a good outing to build upon at my new weight, so I will open at 551 then go to somewhere around 570. Not to sure, i just know that i need a confidence buster to get me going for the upcoming Vegas meet.

Thanks for the post!

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
08-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Extra Work:
Wed 8-17-11

Bike 10 Mins

Elliptical 20 mins

DB Side Bends
50 - 2 x 40 (20R, 20L)

Oblique leg lifts
2 x 20 (10R, 10L)

Just trying to burn some calories and get ready for the weight cut friday. shouldn't be to bad i am going to weigh in the morning of the meet, which i like to weigh in the night before, but it shouldn't be to bad. Just need to rest up for Saturday!

~Costa~

Kevin Perry
08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Good Luck man

Derek Weaver
08-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Wow. 551 as an opener.

Good luck. I'm sure you can get it. Your attitude in these posts is far better than most, and it's not like we have a bunch of cranks around here either (except me I suppose)

Derek Simonds
08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Best wishes for the meet! I love the idea of going 3 for 3 at your new weight. I seriously am wishing I could squat or dl your opener...

Ricardo Costa
08-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Wt Cut Work Out:
Fri 8-19-11

Bike 15 Min

Standing Elbow Strikes (Heavy Bag)
3 sets of 40 (20R, 20L)

Elliptical 15 min

Sauna 10 min

Used some water manipulation and stopped the food and water by 2 pm today. Weighed 247 this morning.

Had the long sleeves and sweats on to take off some extra pounds weighed 244 in the evening before i left to gym. 242 when i got home but ate some strawberries and a little water cause i felt a little too depleted. Back to 244 but felt confident i could make it in the morning or else I wouldn't of ate/drank anything.

Woke up Saturday, after i emptied out i was 242 but still a little nervous because my scale could be half a pound off, you never know how "their" scale is going to compare to yours.

To be continued...

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
08-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Meet Day
Sat 8-20-11

Drove to the site with thermals, sweats and heater blasting...weighed in at 241.2 lbs!

Warm up went good.
135 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1 2 brd
495 x 1 Shirt 2 brd
525 x1 Shirt 1/2Ē from chest

Opener 551 - good 3 white lights
Lever belt unbuckled - right side of back really tight during lift
Judges fumbling with blocks under feet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBm-9-v_ICw

2nd Attempt 573 - good 2 white lights (side judge said butt came up slightly)
Lever Belt unbuckled - right side of back tight again
Judges fumbling with blocks under feet again throwing off set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GgjygYC7i0

3rd attempt 590 - miss - ran out of gas around 2-3 board range
Changed belts to a skinny bench belt, tried to tighten it up more than lever belt, but should of just left it with the lever belt unbuckled holding the shirt down and not changing it up.
Judges still fumbled the blocks
now left side back started to cramp

Awesome learning experience! This was exactly what i wanted, when you travel, cut weight, eat differently, etc. things will go wrong and this meet had some obstacles for me.

Trying to figure the belt i wanted to use, felt good with lever belt and not jacking the shirt, so i should of just stayed with that belt and tried to jack shirt a little bit.

Rushed the warm up, i changed benches in the warm up room and the different bar didnít have the rings so my 495 felt awkward with not being able to see my hand spacing correctly. have to remember that for next time.

Should of got up and reset when judges were adjusting blocks felt like i was arched to long and moving around while they adjusted block placement, could of reset and not had my back tighten up. Also weighed in same day and didnít get all my water back in so was probably a little dehydrated. Olympia i will weigh in the day before so i will be able to correct and water depletion.

Found out before the meet that there was a new rule change of adding a start command which i hadnít practiced for. and now we can bench on our toes (which i prefer because of arch) so i will be adding that in to change up my arch and angle of the stroke length.

My normal lift off guy Scott Hoekstra was up right before me so i used an old stand by Filiberto Toledano. First was fine but second didnít come out fast enough! Usually he is great but we havenít practiced in awhile.

Was really cool because this meet was smaller but there were some of the best benchers in the country showed up. David Douglas, Daniel Smith III, Scott Hoekstra, and Jimmy Kolb. J. Kolb is the All Time number 1 single ply lifter at 242 and opened up with 803 lbs! He did not get a lift in, he flew in from Ohio for a Scott Mendleson Meet that was cancelled, was cool to see him in person and boy is he built perfect to bench!

In no way do i want to sound like i am crying or putting up excuses, i would like it to be a learning meet for me and others, so people can see how many things can go wrong but in the end you canít have excuses, you need to perform on the platform and can only blame yourself if YOU miscalculate or allow something to not be perfect!

The judging was great and the people there were awesome! As always i had a great team of guys who were willing to help warm up, give me water, give me nose tork, hold my ipod and to tell me not to be a pussy! So that end of it was outstanding! Thanks guys.

Also your only as good as your training partners in this sport and i have some great ones. I ended up with 1st place and best lifter Single Ply! Scott Hoekstra hit a raw PR of 501 and first place in his masters class and the invincible Daniel Smith III took 1st and best lifter Raw! He is 68 years old benched 402 lbs Raw a couple months ago, today he was a little off and just missed 403 lbs to break his own record as he is the All time #1 Raw Bencher from 60-70 at 242 lbs. Retired USMC Master Gunnery Sgt. Smith who battles from ailments from Nam is a machine and sight to behold!

I am blessed to be around such great lifters and hardcore MEN!

Some goals met and many more to go after!

~Costa~
If you donít like it, get Stronger!

Derek Simonds
08-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Great meet report, great lifts and thank you for posting the videos. Awesome job all the way around.

Ricardo Costa
08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks Derek!

Recovery Work:
Tues 8-23-11

Push Ups (3 different positions)
5 sets of 30

Had a couple days of rest; work has been intense and is continuing this week and next, I need these workouts to clear my mind and let the daily grind just slip away.

~Costa~
GFH

Ricardo Costa
08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Back Work:
Wed 8-24-11

Mobilty Warm Up

Rack Pulls (below knee)
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 6
405 x 4
495 x 3
315 x 10 Snatch Grip

DB Curls
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Hammer Strength High Row
3 sets of 10

Rear delts
3 sets of 13
** Super Set w/
Straight Leg lifts (parallel bars)
3 sets of 10

Lat pulldowns (close grip)
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Back Extensions
3 sets of 10

The Magic 50
40 lb DB
5 Rounds of:
10 Snatches (5R, 5L)
10 swings (5R, 5L)
10 Burpees

1/2 Handstand pushups
2 sets of 5

Crow Stands (Convict Conditioning)
4 sets of 20-30 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThWfscblty4

Felt Great tonight, once i visited my old friend, the Rack Pull! Its been a few months since i have done these, but it was nice to feel some weight in my hands and to use some good ol' fashion brute force!

Did the Magic 50 again and boy is that some good cardio!

I have been trying to incorporate some more body weight training in side of my workouts so i played a little with it at the end. The HSPU's are a lot easier at this weight than they were a few months ago. Those crow stands really work your wrists and balance, i really think i have found a great training aid for the start of the bench press where i have to wait for the start command. I will be incorporating these to help aid my technique!

~Costa~
GFH

Eduardo Chile
08-26-2011, 11:03 AM
You have a very impressive bench going, and I was wondering some things about your technique.

How aggressive do you try to arch when benching raw? Foot placement?

I've been trying something new, with shrugging my shoulders/traps when I'm benching. Seems to be more comfortable. Some other guys over at RTS have been doing it. Is this something you do?

Ricardo Costa
08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks E. Chile
Like every maximum effort lift technique plays a huge part of improving and making the most of what you have. If you want a big bench you have to arch, some do it more aggressively than others but for me if i can lessen the distance of bar travel it is a must to try to improve. I foam roll 3-4 times a week and then leave the 6" roller under my low back to help flexibility and to be more comfortable in that arched position. Also on some speed days i use a foam roller under my low back to work my set up and practice being in the proper position while i work speed/technique.

Foot placement is very important, you have to find a comfortable position to allow you to have leg drive but yet have them a little farther back under you as to maximize your arch. it takes practice as if you lose your leg drive you won't be able to lift as much. i personally have short legs and a long torso so when i bench i like to use blocks (plates) under my feet to allow me to arch a little harder but still be able to push back hard with my legs.

Very, Very important to squeeze your shoulder blades together and to "bench on your traps" If you look at my meet videos that is the first thing i do is to set up on my upper back with my shoulder blades squeezed together hard. if you take a band and do band pull a parts, that is the type of tension you want to have while you bench. it is 2 fold, first when your shoulder blades are pulled together you have a solid foundation on the bench if you are relaxed you tend to teeter on the bench and have no power to drive off of. Secondly if you pull them together it allows your chest to come up at least an inch (some people more) giving you less distance that he bar needs to travel!

Hope this helps, there are a lot of tricks of the trade, you just have to find what works best for you.

~Costa~
As the saying goes, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice, Practice."

Ricardo Costa
08-26-2011, 10:16 PM
E Chile,
just saw your youtube video from 8-25-11 and you have a few things going on. first is you set up twice, either arch back towards your feet or stand up on the bench, but don't do both get set in a good position and move on.

On your board press portion when you pull the bar out the first thing you do is let out all your air, don't do that! as you "pull" the bar out you should be taking in air and as the bar is over your body you need to remain tight, which means don't let all your air out!

Use your legs, the bench press is a full body exercise!!! You look like you are cut in half, your upper body is doing all the work and your legs are just hanging out. Practice driving your heels into the ground and pushing back, putting pressure on your traps.

Lastly have fun! You look like someone is making you work out. I know there are a lot of things to think about, but man get a little motivated, put on some music, something. Your last name is Chile, act like it, have some fire in your workouts!!!

Just some constructive criticism, now time to go to work and get better.

~Costa~
A little music goes a long way

Ricardo Costa
08-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Speed Work:
Fri 8-26-11

Mobility warm up

Speed Bench:
Bar x 10
135 x 5 - 3 sets
185 x 3 - 3 sets close grip
225 x 3 - 3 sets wide grip

Floor Press:
225 x 8
275 x 5
300 x 5
300 x 5
300 x 5
275 x 8

Lying Tri Ext - Ez curl - top of head/forehead/upper chest
80 - 8/8/8
80 - 8/8/8
60 - 8/8/8
60 - 8/8/8

Dips (BW)
** Super set w/
Ab Machine
3 sets of 20

Felt a lot stronger and faster with my floor press! I love floor press as it works my weakness of the mid point of travel and forces me not to use my legs which puts the emphasis on my upper body technique, at least for me.

Had a good work out, now i just start to fine tune everything as I lead up to the Olympia!

~Costa~
GFF - Get F@*Kin Fast

Ricardo Costa
08-29-2011, 10:57 PM
ME Bench:
Mon 8-29-11

Mobility Warm Up

Bench
Bar x 15
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 3
365 x 3 Padded 1 brd
405 x 2 Padded 1 brd

Shirt work - 3brd w/ short mini bands
455 x 2
485 x 2
525 x 1 or 2 (can't remember)
550 x 1
565 x 1

DB Side Raise
4 sets of 10

DB Clean
3 sets of 13

Felt good tonight the technique felt solid! I am now working with my lever belt buckled, at meet last week it was just clasped and not flipped closed, so now the goal is to close it and have it tighten up the shirt a little bit and get used to the pressure and explode to lock out with the mini bands adding the drive through in the middle where is my weakness.

It was in the high 90's tonight in the garage gym, gotta love training in harsh conditions, it makes the test much easier when things are more pleasant!

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Speed Work:
Thurs 9-1-11

Mobility Warm Up

Speed Bench
Bar x 15
135 x 3 - 3 sets
185 x 3 - 3 sets Close
205 x 3 - 3 sets Mid
225 x 3 - 3 sets wide

Floor Press (close grip)
225 x 8
300 x 5 - 3 sets
250 x 10

ez curl
3 sets of 8
** Super set w/
Tri lying Ext - top of head/forehead/chest
3 sets of 8/8/8

CS Row
3 sets of 10
** Super set w/
Rear Delts
3 sets of 10

Perfect pushup
3 sets to failure

Felt great tonight, the speed bench felt like an empty bar, that's what a good pair of wrist wraps can do. When I put mine on it helps me to SQUEEZE the bar and makes it weightless in my hands. I really like my wraps from rhinopowergear.com as they are comfortable but cast like so i can wear them for long training sessions! get a pair of good wraps, wrap the hell out of your wrists, and see PR's start to fall!

I'm really liking the floor press after the speed work as it works my weak spot after i have pre exhausted my bench.

Since you guys follow along i will give out a little secret that i have been keeping under wraps. Use the perfect pushup! Of course I have no affiliation with them, but they really help to emphasize the proper technique of the bench as you tuck your elbows towards the bottom of the bench and you flare your elbows out as you push. A pair of these simple tools really force you to emphasize your technique and get your swole on as well. Suspended rings/Blast straps work the same way so use either of them and make some gains.

There is an old Westside video where Louie talks about these suspended chain pushups they did and how they will make you "armor plated" and i would agree they will definitely give that feeling.

~Costa~
Stay Thirsty my Friends
Rhinopowergear.com

Ricardo Costa
09-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Mr Olympia - Meet Report:
9-19-11

It's been a long 2 and half weeks, work has been insane and the days have flown by, so here it goes:

The week before the meet i went to 580 and felt ok with how it went. My goal was to get a PR and and a 600 bench in a second wt class.
Was weighing in around 247, so had to drop a few lbs, it wasn't that bad but it did come back to bite me later. Arrived Friday around 4:30 pm and weighed in at 239.6 and then off to get some grub and put back on a few lbs.

Saturday started off good and then on the way to the convention center there was 2 accidents and crazy traffic so got a late start but once at the venue, the excitement was in the building and everybody was pumped to be there!

Warm up went good despite putting all the lifters and handlers in a space that needed to be triple the size, so very, very crowded.
Opener 578 good 3 white lights (5 lb PR at 242)
Got the PR so on to the next goal 600
2nd Attempt 600 no good
3rd Attempt 600 no good

Both got stuck at my weak point (2 board area), the judging was great, strict but right on, very consistent and everyone got the same commands at the exact same time, so no one could really complain on that.

Myself and another competitor got 578 me on my first and him Mike B on his third, but he came in at 239.4 so he beat me out by .2 lbs. Mike B was a great guy and fun to compete with as well as Cory Dexter who got 661 and both of these guys were great competitors and fun to compete with. I can't wait to have more battles with these guys.

The USPA has done a great job in trying to maintain strict standards with great support for the lifter and so far they have hit the mark and I wish them much success.

Well I can say that my 600 lb goal wasn't met, yet, but all that does is make it taste much sweeter when i smash it.
I am making some adjustments: i picked up a slingshot, and my new custom bench shirt is on the way. So back to the drawing board and getting stronger!

~Costa~

Derek Weaver
09-19-2011, 11:15 PM
It's hard for me to comprehend a 600 lb bench.

Sounds like a great time.

Ricardo Costa
09-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Back Work:
9-21-11

Hammer Strength High Row
3 sets of 13

EZ Curls
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
DB Shrugs
3 sets of 15

Rear Delts
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Cable Curl
3 sets of 10

CS Row
3 sets of 10
** Super Set W/
Leg Lifts
3 sets of 10

Just some easy work to get back in the groove, it felt good to get back in the gym and start working towards my next goal. If your not moving Forward than your standing still and that does nothing for nobody.

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
09-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Derek,
I agree sometimes these numbers seem pretty crazy. But a lot of things make these numbers possible. Getting around people stronger than you is huge and that has helped me tremendously. When you have people around you that push you, it makes a big difference and when you work hard and stay disciplined to your goals only good things can happen.

I always say you might be more talented than me but your not gonna out work me and that mantra has served me well. Thanks for the support.

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
09-21-2011, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECwcl4edb0

Here's my opener, in the standing room only venue of the Las Vegas Convention Center for the Mr Olympia Bench Press Invitational!!!

I was just really happy to be a part of this event for the second straight year and i had a blast being included with some of the best lifters in the country!

I also want to add a big thanks to my friend John Dorsten as he helped me out with warm ups, lift offs, yelling at me, etc... He also went on to deadlift 683lbs at 198! John is a great technician and strong lifter.

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
09-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Bench:
Friday 9-23-11

Mobility Warm up

Bench:
Bar x 10
135 x 8
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3

Slingshot:
365 x 5
405 x 3

Tri pushdowns
3 set of 15
** Super set w/
Pec Deck
3 sets of 12

DB Side Raises
4 sets of 10

Time to move on and start thinking about the next meet, so got back in the gym. Normally do my speed work here but just wanted to get the blood flowing and get a good workput in. I have a few options for the next training cycle / meet prep so right now i might just try to get some good work in and set the foundation for the next meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE2aSmCFCjg

I was able to use the Mark Bell sling shot for the first time tonight and it was interesting, a lot like reverse bands which i really like for overloading and teaching speed out of the bottom so i think i will be using it a lot, until the spring and see how it can help me. Also where i do my max effort work we don't have a rack so these can help replicate the Reverse Bands that i can't use there. All in all not a bad investment and something new to help break up the monotony of training. I've been lifting since i was 13 and its nice to have different tools to mix things up and keep your mind fresh.

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
10-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Max Bench:
Mon 9-26-11

Bench:
135 x 8
225 x 6

Slingshot
315 x 6
365 x 5
405 x 3

Shirt Work:
495 x 2
545 x 2

Got out of work late and the garage gym had to close early so it was really rushed, just wanted to get some weight in my hands.

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
10-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Extra Work:
Sat 10-1-11

4 rounds - no rest
*Sledge Hammer - (tire strikes 40 hits)
*KB Snatch (10L, 10R)
*KB Clean (10L, 10R)

Pull ups (Garage Rafter Style)
5 sets of 6

DB Curls
2 sets of 12

Hindu Squats
2 sets of 25

Mobility work

Had a crazy week but it looks like it might be getting better so had to start off the weekend with some good ol' sucking wind hard work in the backyard! And as I type this I feel the hamstrings screaming already, but i needed to put in some work to get back on track.

~Costa~
If you want to be considered a King, you need to WALK as a King

Ricardo Costa
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
ME Bench:
Mon 10-3-11

Mobility Warm Up

Bench
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 5

Sling Shot
365 x 5
405 x 3

Shirt Work - 3 brd
495 x 5
550 x 3
585 x 2
605 x 3

Tricep Pushdown
4 sets to failure

DB Side Raise
4 sets of 10

Great work tonight, i wanted to get some volume in and for me that was a good amount of sets and a little more reps in my warm up sets to pre fatigue all my benching muscles. Felt good and the shirt was giving me some pop and i felt great locking it out and holding the wt in my hands.

~Costa~
Shut up and Bench

Ricardo Costa
10-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Back:
Wed 10-5-11

Shrugs
3 sets of 15
** Super Set w/
EZ curl
3 sets of 8

leg lifts (parallel bars)
3 sets of 10
** Super Set
DB Windmills
3 sets of 8

T Bar Rows
6 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Preacher Curls
4 sets of 10

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
10-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Repetition Bench
Fri 10-7-11

Mobility Work

Incline bench
45 x 15
135 x 8
185 x 8
225 x 8
275 x 8
225 x 10

Standing DB Press
3 sets of 10

Lying Tri ext
3 sets of 24 - top of head, forehead, chest

Rear delts
3 sets of 13

Dips
1 x 20
1 x 20
1x 12

Cable pull overs - standing
4 sets of 10

Bike 12 min

~Costa~
Just Win Baby

Ricardo Costa
10-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Yesterday's Incline Bench was Close Grip, i love close grip Incline just to work hat upper pec crease down the middle that looks so cool. Growing up that was always a big deal with Arnold S. he had massive upper pecs on his side pose. the saying was you could practically stand up a beer bottle on top of his pecs, so the incline has always been a cool exercise that i've liked.
Just in case anybody was wondering. haha

~Costa~
Just Win Baby

Ricardo Costa
10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
ME Bench
Mon 10-17-11

Bench
135 x 10
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 3
365 x 5 - padded one board
385 x 5 - padded one board
405 x 3 - padded one board

Close Grip Bench
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 8

The last week and a half i've just been doing some repetition/bodybuilding work getting my swole on!

Took a week off of using the shirt hopefully get my new custom shirt by next monday night, and start breaking it in.

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Back Work:
Wed 10-19-11

Pullups
6 sets of 5
** Super Set w/
Hang Cleans
4 sets of 5

Db Curls
3 sets of 8
** Super Set w/
Shrugs
3 sets of 15

Leg Raises
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
DB side raise (core)
3 sets of 13

EZ curls
3 sets of 13
** Super Set w/
Face Pulls
3 sets of 20

Elliptical
10 Mins

Got some good work in and mixed it up with the hang cleans, felt good but my forearms are sore today! Hope you guys are having some great workouts.

~Costa~
Get Some

Ricardo Costa
10-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Bench:
Fri 10-21-11

Mobility Warm up

DB Bench:
40 x 15
50 x 15
60 x 15
70 x 10
80 x 10
90 x 10
100 x10

Tri Pushdown
3 sets of 15
** Super Set w/
Cable side raise
3 sets of 10

Rear delts
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
DB Military press - standing
3 sets of 10

Push up - feet elevated
3 sets to failure

I was the only guy in my commercial gym tonight, but when your not training your competition is!!!

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
10-22-2011, 12:20 PM
One of my old training partners is giving me crap for "bodybuilding" style of workouts so i had to post some some videos of me squatting just to remind him.

Here's 690 without knee wraps!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTMMyBFN2Xg

Here's a video where I take 780 for a ride and than rack pull afterword!!! My "friend" is the fat guy rack pulling before me. haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFOCGGyu2M

I love competing but i don't need 3 judges to validate my lifting, i'll do them in the garage with just your mom watching and am happy to know that I'm as strong as hell!

~Costa~
The Vato you Love to Hate

Ricardo Costa
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Squat
Sat 10-22-11

Mobility warm up

Box Squats
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 5 - Briefs
405 x 5
500 x 5

T Bar Rows
3 sets of 10

DB Shrugs
2 sets of 15

Leg Lifts
2 sets of 10

Elliptical
10 mins

It's been 6 months since i put weight on my back and i wasn't sure how is was going to go, but i was pretty happy to see that if i needed to squat, i can still do it any day of the week. Not bad for knee sleeves, not training, walked out, no spotter. :)

~Costa~
Haters Beware

Ricardo Costa
10-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Back:
Sat 10-29-11

Mobility warm up

Pull ups (wide)
3 sets of 5
** Super set w/
Back Ext 45 degree
3 sets of 10

Pull ups (close)
3 sets of 5
** Super set w/
Leg lifts
3 sets of 10

CS Rows
4 sets of 10
** Super set w/
Leg Ext
4 sets of 15

Shrugs (standing Calf machine)
4 sets of 10
** Super set w/
DB Side Bend
3 sets of 10

DB Curl (inc bench)
3 sets of 10
** Super set w/
Standing Elbow Strikes (heavy bag)
3 sets of 20

Heavy Sand Bag Shouldering
3 sets of 8

Bike 15 min
Sauna 10 min

Well I was fighting a head cold all week that made me take the week off so i came back with a lot of work, probably to much but with super setting it goes by quick with no rest so it feels like i need to keep going. Either way it felt great to get back in the gym after feeling weak and hopped up on cold meds all week.

I love the shrugs on the calf machine, i feel that it really involves my neck muscles and it really helped me a lot when i was squatting full time, try it out!

The sand bag shouldering sucks so that is why it must be good and i try to throw it in when i can, i usually use my homemade sand bags, but at my gym i found a heavy bag that felt like it had cement in the bottom. So it was all alone in the corner of the aerobics room so i tried to pull it out and it was Heavy so i tied it out and i'm feeling it today.

~Costa~
Pick something up and put it down!

Ricardo Costa
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
ME Bench:
Sunday 10-30-11

Mobility Warm up

Bench:
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 3
315 x 6 Slingshot
365 x 5

Shirt Work - 3 board
495 x 3
545 x 3
585 x 3
615 x 2

Close Grip Bench - Slingshot
315 - 3 sets of 10

Had to get in tonight because of Halloween tomorrow, the kids over ruled our normal workout. Definitely not used to doing back work the day before heavy bench, not a good combo, my back was feeling it pretty good.

But i finally got my new shirt so i had to play in it a little bit. I had some more in me but played it safe and shut it down, that way i can start to ramp it up and get use to handling the weight that i know i can get moving. Next couple of months should be fun!

I've been just cruising after my last meet so getting the shirt should help out with the motivation and getting ready to start going heavy!

~Costa~
Go Heavy (and I'm not talking about about your costume)

Ricardo Costa
11-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Back & Abs
Wed 11-2-11

Warm up

CS Row
3 sets of 12
** Super Set w/
Back ext 45 degree
3 sets of 10

ez curls
3 sets of 8
** Super set w/
Leg Lifts
3 sets of 10

Shrugs - calf machine
4 sets of 12
** Super set w/
Leg Ext
4 sets of 15

Rear delts
3 sets of 15
** Super set w/
Decline Abs
3 sets of 15

2 rounds of "Rolling Ropes"

Had a good work out tonight, you got to put in work with all those little things to keep the big picture a success and tonight was one of those days. My shoulders were beat up from monday and got to the gym after the kids went to bed, but once there i was able to get in the zone and push the pace.

I like these workouts because the heart rate stays ups, the adrenaline gets flowing, the gym is empty so you can strut around like your BADD! haha just a good feeling to have while you work.

I did do the rolling ropes which is something that i have been doing on and off for a little over a year. Because of my physical limitations this type of work is great. It is jumping rope without jumping, it turns out to be good cardio, AB, overall conditioning type of exercise. Check it out and give it a try. The monster rope he uses is also really cool and can be real sport specific, i wan to get some for my son as he is a youth wrestler and as he gets older they would be great for hand fighting and being able to control your opponent. BJJ guys would love monster ropes!! Check them out.

http://www.bosufitness.com/exercise-videos/3/1

http://www.bosufitness.com/exercise-videos/1/1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLPndxBbC-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LacYwGPmKZk&feature=related

~Costa~
Get out and roll some ropes

Ricardo Costa
11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Extra Work
Sat 11-5-11

3 rounds of:
Sledgehammer x 40
Kettlebell Snatches x 30

Rolling Ropes
3 rounds

~Costa~
Abs Were feelin' the Burn

Ricardo Costa
11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
ME Bench
Mon 11-7-11

Bench
135 x 8
135 x 8
225 x 6
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 5 - padded 1 brd
405 x 3 - padded 1 brd

Shirt work w/ boards
495 x 3 - 3 brd
545 x 2 - 2 brd
585 x 1 - 2 brd
610 x 1 - 2 brd
635 x 1 - 3 brd
660 x 1 - 3 brd

Felt good to get in my new shirt again, my low end strength isn't really ready for what my top end is putting out right now. I've taken a break from my speed work to mix it up with repetition work and its been a nice break but i will start getting my speed work going again with bands so i can work some speed and low end strength.

I really liked the close grip floor press work i added in on speed day before my last meet, so will throw that back in the mix and now i can mix it up with my slingshot.

Not sure what meet is next in my sights, but all 242'ers better watch out cause i'm starting to get a little motivated and for the competition that is never good!

~Costa~
Shut up and Bench!!!

Ricardo Costa
11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Back - Abs
Wed 11-9-11

Similar back, abs, and bi work.

I have playing with the "metal militia" set up on the bench which helps you arch more and bench on your toes, but as I've been doing it again it really stress your back and causes you to cramp up as you attempt to stay super tight and really bend as far as possible so the back work i have been working on is to help get this style of set up to work to its fullest capability!

Had a busy end of the week, with the Marine Corps Birthday and Veterans Day. A big thanks to Chili's and Applebees restaurants for giving free meals to Veterans who have served their country!!!

~Costa~
Semper Fi

Ricardo Costa
11-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Speed Work
Sat 11-12-11

Speed Bench
Bar x 20
Bar x 20
135 x 8
135 x 8
185 x 3 - 6 sets (2 close, 2 med, & 2 wide)

Floor Press
225 x 6 - 4 sets

Dips - BW
2 sets to Failure

Bike 15 min
Sauna 15 min

Getting back to speed work and it felt great to really concentrate on perfecting the technique with SPEED! Can't wait to start incorporating the bands again, I really feel that mixing in the bands, really help to take your lifts to the next level! Hopefully you guys can follow along and see how I do it and how it works for me.

~Costa~
Speed Kills!

Ricardo Costa
11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
ME Bench
Mon 11-14-11

Mobility Warm up

Bench
135 x 8 - 2 sets
185 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 6

Bench - 2 board w/ Monster Mini's
225 x 8
275 x 3
315 x 1
275 x 6
250 x 7
250 x 7

Gotta love the band work, it felt great to really push through the bands and lockout strong. That is one thing that is great about the bands it teaches you to explode off your chest and really push "through" to the top! Now all i need is to get my supplements going again so i can start working towards a meet again.

~Costa~
Bench Big or Go Home

Ricardo Costa
11-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Back & Abs
Wed 11-16-11

Warm up

Hammer Strength High Row
1 x 20
4 x 10
1 x 13

Shrugs
4 x 8
** Super set w/
Inc Db Curls
4 x 8

Decline Abs
4 x 15
** Super Set w/
Back ext
4 x 8

Elliptical 15 min
Sauna 10 min

~Costa~
Baby got Back

Ricardo Costa
11-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Speed Bench
Sat 11-19-11

Mobility Warm Up

Speed Bench
Bar x 15 (2x)
135 x 6 (2x)
185 x 3 Close
185 x 3 med
185 x 3 wide

Standing Military Press
135 x 10
185 x 6
185 x 6

Crow Stands
3 sets
Super set w/
Dips
3 sets of 10

~Costa~
Eye of the Tiger

Ricardo Costa
11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
ME Bench
Mon 11-21-11

Mobiloity warm up

Bench
135 x 8
135 x 8
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 5
365 x 5 - padded 1 brd
395 x 3 - padded 1 brd

Close Grip Bench - slingshot
315 x 10 - 3 sets

Tri pushdowns
2 sets of 10
3 sets of 10 - w/ monster mini behind neck

Got to keep getting those bands in there and working on explosion and speed to lockout. I like the slingshot because it makes you go full range and sometimes i just get use to the boards . Just trying to get a little stronger before we start ramping up with the Shirt.

~Costa~
Stronger

Ricardo Costa
11-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Back & ABs
Wed 11-23-11

Rack Pulls
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
455 x 3
315 x 20

DB Curls
3 sets of 8
**Super set w/
Shrugs
3 sets of 12

Rear Delts
5 sets of 8
** Super set w/
Decline Abs
3 sets of 10

Bike 15 min

Gotta luv some rack pulls, although i was a little pissed because i haven't done these in awhile and feel weak so thats why i had to pull off a set of 20. Weights get moving when i get motivated, haha.

~Costa~
Back it Up

Steve Burke
11-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Impressive 3 board a few posts back mate!

Ricardo Costa
11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks Steve, appreciate you visiting my log!

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
11-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Speed Bench
Fri 11-25-11

Mobility Warm Up

Speed Bench w/ Monster mini's
Bar x 10 - 3 sets
135 x 3 - Close 3 sets
155 x 3 - med 3 sets
175 x 3 - wide 1 set (went back down to increase speed)
155 x 3 - wide 2 sets

Floor Press - w/ slingshot
275 x 6
315 x 5 - 5 sets

Lying Tri ext -8/8/8
3 sets

Dips - BW
1 x 20
1 x 20
1 x 15

Perfect Pushup - feet elevated
2 sets to failure

Sauna 20 min

Speed felt good, still working on my set up, starting to feel more comfortable with it, I'm not getting as sore as i was a couple weeks ago. A couple more weeks and i'll be back in the groove.

~Costa~
Speed I am Speed

Steve Burke
11-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Do you get much out of the slingshot on floor presses? Looks like a good piece of kit.

Ricardo Costa
11-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Steve,
it seems like i keep using the slingshot on a lot of close grip work and i love the idea of overloading your lifts and i feel that the slingshot does help to do that. This week was like the 3rd time i used them on floor presses and i really liked the explosion and the overloading that i got. with the close grip you don't get as much carryover as you would by spreading your grip out wide and making the fabric expand as you will easily get more support with the wider grip. But i do like overloading the triceps and this seems to help do that, so i will keep using it for now.

Like anything i like incorporating another aspect of training to my bag of tricks. i've been lifting since i was 13, so having another tool to mix things up, helps break up the monotony. I do feel the slingshot can really help you improve your pressing power so i would recommend it to other lifters.

I am pretty sore today and i feel it was a great combo of band work, overloading close grip work and finishing with body weight to failure. I figured I would be feeling it, but I plan to go back to the 3 board on Monday night and working on my top end, so i wasn't to concerned about pushing it full range yesterday.

~Costa~
Young David used it and it worked, why not us?

Ricardo Costa
11-29-2011, 09:19 PM
ME Bench
Mon 11-28-11

Mobility Warm Up

Bench w/ Slingshot
135 x 8
225 x 6
315 x 5
365 x 3
405 x 1

Shirt Work - 3 board
545 x 2
605 x 1
640 x 1
670 x 1
585 x 2

DB Side Raise
4 sets of 10

DB Clean
3 sets of 10

Surprisingly my triceps were still sore from Fridays Tricep Blitz so i had to use the slingshot to get warmed up and then wanted to get some heavy weight in my hands, we moved pretty fast as my partners have a meet this coming weekend and they were taking less reps, so it was a pretty quick pace.

Just ordered some creatine and more protein powder so i can get back on the wagon and get some nutrients to eliminate this soreness from these workouts.

~Costa~
Supplementation is Key

Ricardo Costa
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Back Work
Wed 11-30-11

Warm up

Hammer Strength High Row
1 x 15
5 x 12

T Bar Row
6 sets of 8

Decline Abs
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
EZ Curl
3 sets of 8

Sauna 20 min

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
12-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Speed Work
Friday 12-2-75

Warm Up

Bench w/ Monster Mini's
Bar x 10 - 3 sets
135 x 3 - close 3 sets
135 x 3 - mid 3 sets
155 x 3 - wide 3 sets

DB Incline Bench Press
1 x 15 - 80
5 x 10 - 100

It was my birthday so had to make it quick so i could get some Enchiladas and Mexican Coke for a good post workout meal!

I felt fast and with a solid lockout, so 1 more week with the monster minis and then i will change it up. 3 weeks with bands then 1 week change then back to bands.

~Costa~
Feeling good for 36

Ricardo Costa
12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
ME Bench
Mon 12-5-11

Warm Up

Bench
Bar x 15
135 x 8
205 x 8
225 x 6
265 x 6
295 x 6
315 x 6

2 board w/ Monster Mini
225 x 6
250 x 6
295 x 4
315 x 3
250 x 6
225 x 11

Tri pushdown w/ Monster mini behind the neck
4 sets of 10

Felt good, I got 315 with bands - 2 more reps than a few weeks ago.

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
12-17-2011, 08:24 PM
ME Bench
Mon 12-12-11

Warm up

Bench
135 x 8 (2 sets)
225 x 6
315 x 6 - Ram
405 x 2 (2 sets) - Ram

Shirt Work - 2 board
495 x 2
565 x 1
605 x 1
635 x 1

JM Press
225 4 sets of 6

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
12-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Speed Bench
Fri 12-16-11

Mobility Warm up

Speed Bench
135 x 8 - 3 sets
185 x 3 - 3 sets close
205 x 3 - 3 sets med
225 x 3 - 3 sets wide

Incline Bench - slingshot
315 - 4 sets of 5

Tri pushdowns
3 sets of 13
** Super Set w/
Rear Delts
3 sets of 10

EZ Curl
4 sets of 6

~Costa~

Ricardo Costa
12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Bench
Wed 12-21-11

Mobility warm up

Speed Bench
Bar x 15
135 x 8 - 3 sets
205 x 3 - 3 sets close
225 x 3 - 3 sets med
245 x 3 - 3 sets wide

Inc Bench - slingshot
335 x 5 - 4 sets

Tri push down
5 sets of 8

Rear Delts
3 sets of 8

DB Shrugs
3 sets of 15

Overhead Tri ext ez curl bar
3 sets of 13

had a great work out

~Costa~
Got Traps?

Ricardo Costa
12-30-2011, 11:15 AM
ME Bench
Mon 12-26-11

Mobility Warm up

Bench
Bar x 20
135 x 8
225 x 6
315 x 3
365 x 4 padded 1 brd
405 x 2 padded 1 brd

Shirt Work
495 x 1 - 2 brd
565 x 1 - 2 brd
605 x 1 - 2 brd
585 x 1 - 1 brd

Tri pushdown
5 sets of 10

Insanity (at home later after dinner)

585 was easy (7lbs more than 242 meet PR), but was feeling a stomach bug coming and tried the Insanity workout to get rid of it. All it did was make me sweat!!!

~Costa~
Bench BIG!

Ricardo Costa
12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Extra Work
Tuesday - 12-27-11

Insanity work out
60dayworkout.us

Was able to get a copy of the insanity workouts with Shaun T, just for some GPP extra workouts. There definitely insane if you do this whole program, the guy i got them from lost 35 lbs in 5 weeks and stopped the program because he reached his goal and because the next 30 days were going to be too insane.

~Costa~
Get Ripped

Ricardo Costa
12-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Speed Bench
Thursday - 12-29-11

Mobility warm up

Speed Bench - monster minis
Bar x 20
135 x 8 - 3 sets
155 x 3 - 3 sets close
155 x 3 - 3 sets med
155 x 3 - 3 sets wide

Floor Press - Slingshot
225 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 3 - 3 sets

Overhead tri ext - ez curl
3 sets of 13
** Super set w/
Rear delts
3 sets of 8

CS Row
3 sets of 13
**Super set w/
DB Clean
3 sets of 13

Did the speed work a day early because of weekend of obligations, felt good my set up keeps getting better on my speed work now i need to transition that to my work in the shirt! Really feeling the creatine kicking in, looking swole and feeling good!

4 weeks left till the LA Fit Expo where i will be going against some of the best benchers in the country at 242!!! it's going to be fun, i know my PR will go down easily but that don't mean much come Jan 29th (or maybe that will be all i have to hang on to! haha) Either way it will be a fun meet to compete at, it is always a good atmosphere in the LA Convention Center!

~Costa~
Get Fast!

Ricardo Costa
01-02-2012, 09:35 PM
ME Bench
Monday 1-2-12

Mobility Warm Up

Bench
Bar x 15
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 4
275 x 2
315 x 1
365 x 1 - padded 1 brd
405 x 1 - padded 1 brd

Shirt work
495 x 3 - 3 brd
565 x 1 - 1 brd
590 x 1 - 1 brd
615 x 0 - miss due to technique
615 x 1 - 1 brd

655 x 1 - 3 brd

DB lying ext (roll back)
5 sets of 10
1 set of 15

Push ups
2 sets to failure

Felt good tonight, was a 37lb pr over my last meet lift and i even forgot my ipod and had to listen to 80's Metal, so you know i had more in me!!! haha Now it begins i have 3 more ME Monday workouts left before the fit expo so now we start dialing it in, perfecting the technique, and maning up with heavy weight!

~Costa~
Rise Above

Ricardo Costa
01-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Back Work
Wed 1-4-12

Rack Pulls
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
455 x 3
405 x 7
315 x 10

H.S. High Row
4 sets of 8
** Super Set w/
EZ Curl
4 sets of 8

Back Ext 45 degree
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Leg Lifts
3 sets of 10

Great work tonight, something about rack pulls make you feel full of barbaric strength!

~Costa~
Baby got Back

Ricardo Costa
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Speed Bench
Friday 1-6-12

Mobility Warm up

Speed Bench w/ Monster Minis
bar x 10 - 3 sets
145 x 3 close 3 sets
165 x 3 med 3 sets
185 x 3 wide 3 sets

Rack lock outs w/Monster Minis
315 x 6
405 x 3
405 x 3
315 x10

Rollback Tri Ext (L. Simmons style with 15 seconds between sets)
5 sets of 10

Pec Deck
3 sets

Side Raise
4 sets

Dips
2 sets to failure

Great work starting to feel it!

~Costa~
If I can't do it, it can't be done!

Ricardo Costa
01-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Week of Jan 9th

Monday
ME Bench
Simple warm up and then a bunch of sets in the shirt to start working on an opener

Wednesday
Back Work
T bar rows
high rows
Shrugs
Heavy DB Curls
ABS

Tweeked my wrist on Monday night, but it didn't start hurting until tonight.

Friday
Macebell
pushups

The macebell and kettlebell help to traction my wrist and elbows so i like to throw them in for recovery work and i can't push it to much sine i am a couple weeks out from my meet and the wrist not a hundred percent.

Saturday
Kettlebell
abs

Sunday
Bike
sauna

my weight is not where i want it so i need to kick up the cardio and adjust my nutrition for the next 2 weeks!

~Costa~
Put the fork down, Fatty