PDA

View Full Version : Functional Movement Screen

Neal Winkler
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
For all you trainers out there, do you use assesments like Gray Cook's Functional movement screen? If not, what sort of assesments do you use, if any. Might make a good PM article.

James Hall
03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Would love to see what others are doing. Am always for function. Damn insurance companies...hopefully references on Cook's stuff?

Mike ODonnell
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
You could...I used Cook's methods...Boyle's tests..Chek's assessments...and even that Body Map....but after a while you can pretty much eye-ball things, or know what corrective exercises people should be doing to address issues...plus most people have 95% of the same issues with regard to muscle imbalances, flexibility issues and posture misalignment. Still good stuff to use, but since I really don't do the 1-on-1 stuff anymore I dont have a use for it...I train mostly in groups now. Sometimes I think Boyle's tests are meant to make you fail at something...just so you think you need to train his way....may have some truth to it....but hey, that's selling the business.

Robb Wolf
03-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm suuuuper simple in this. Hip function (squatting DL'ing), general posture (hyper/hypo kyphosis/lordosis) Pressing ability overhead, horizontal rowing.

Pretty simple but it ferrets out a lot of problems. Fixing these issues involves movement coaching and addressing soft tissue health ie.-foam rolling, ART, stretching and less repetitive stress injuries.

Articles in the works.

Gabe Rinaldi
03-11-2007, 09:32 AM
If I had to pick just 1 assessment for a new client it would be a PVC overhead squat. This is one of the exercises from the Functional Movement Screen. It can tell you a tremendous amount of info. One problem with a lot of assessments, especially static postural tests, is that the results may not affect dynamic movement and they may not affect the type of training or exercise selection. A lot of corrective exercise stuff is bogus in my opinion.