PDA

View Full Version : My Mass Gain Plan with some questions

Derek Simonds
03-08-2007, 07:37 AM
I used Jeff Dale's most excellent excel spreadsheet to determine the weights I will be using for my 7 week program. Based on my current level of exercise everything looks very do-able except one, the weighted pull up sets.

In the mass gain article it explains that you should not be taking the exercise to failure. Unfortunately for me 6 X 6 of unweighted pull ups would be to failure after the 2nd or 3rd set. I have always struggled with pull ups and as a result I don't train them as aggressively as I should. I can do a large volume of pull ups just not quickly. I have done 60 over the course of a 45 minute workout. I can do weighted pull ups with 45 lbs and weighted chin ups with 60 lbs for singles.

My thoughts on this were to start with no weight and work for a total of 36 even if it took over the 6 sets or no weight and do as many as I could up to 6 each set. When I was able to do the 6 X 6 completely I would add weight each week afterwards.

From the article, the template and all the posts I have read about mass gain I will need to keep my rest days as active recovery days. When I am in town I grapple 2 to 4 times a week from an hour to up to 3 hours in a day. I am committed to cutting out all other cardio and exercise do I need to cut back on my grappling as well?

I think I understand the Abs Back circuit but just for clarity it is 3 ab exercises and 1 back exercise. How many minutes would be considered High Volume which is what the template calls for?

Ok now on to the fun part the eating. I travel a ton for work so it is very difficult to have whole food for every meal that I need. Based on my size and my base caloric requirements I think I have a fair idea of what I need to consume. I am 6' 1" 185 and 11% bodyfat. Using the Zone calculation in the article I would need to take in the same amount of blocks as Greg which is 18 or 1610 calories. I don't think I have ever consumed that few of calories. Obviously I am doing this for mass gain not fat loss so adding in the extra fat blocks would put me at 2600 calories and I could work my way up from there. I really like the Zone I just have a hard time living by it all the time.

While traveling I picked up the latest Muscle and Fitness (I know don't throw any stones yet) because it was their annual nutrition blowout. Inside was what I thought was a well written article on mass gain by Jay Cutlers nutritionist.

Here is their base diet:

Meal 1
4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
2 cups cooked oatmeal

Meal 2
6 oz canned tuna
3 slices whole wheat bread
1 tbsp fat free mayo

Meal 3
7 oz lean ground beef
1 cup cooked pasta
1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
1 cup sliced zucchini

Meal 4
Pre Workout
2 scoops whey protein w/ water
2 cups cooked oatmeal

Meal 5
Post Workout
2 scoops whey protein w/ water
1 cup rice

Meal 6
6 oz chicken breast
1 large sweet potato
1 cup broccoli

Meal 7
1 1/2 cups fat free cottage cheese
1 cup cooked pasta
1/4 cup spaghetti sauce

Total
3,769 calories
363 G Protein
433 G Carbs
69 G Fat

The things I don't like about the diet is the processed carbs (bread and pasta). The things I do like is that I could cook a large amount of meet on Sunday night and use it through out the week. I could also cut one meal or cut carbs from some of the meals so that I could moderate that calories.

The article goes into pretty good detail about how to regulate your intake based on mass vs fat gain.

My eating plan as of right now is to use the base diet above for 6 meals not 7 and to get rid of the processed carbs for vegetables. I can make kind of a meal plan work even on the road by substituting a meal replacement shake if I can't eat.

Robb Wolf
03-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Derek-

1-Pull-up plan sounds good. Work up to 6x6 unweighted and then add some resistance.
2-Seat-o-your pants low carb may be the way to go. Protein at every meal. Protein and carbs post workout. Protein and fat all other meals. If you hate eating you MIGHT be eating enough.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback Robb.

I plan on starting next week so I will post a log and keep track of how everything is going.

At this point I think I will see how everything is going after 2 weeks and then tweak.

Mike ODonnell
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Seat-o-your pants low carb may be the way to go. Protein at every meal. Protein and carbs post workout. Protein and fat all other meals.

I agree with Robb there...typical BB programs want 2-3g CHO per Lb bodyweight...that's just too much for me...I feel like crap...probably is increasing my risk of diabetes and all that fun stuff.(not too mention if your long term goal is health and lower carb, since it should be, then all that carb loading will eventually go away at some point, just like your size will) Go with the protein every 2-3 hours, take in at least 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight. I'd say CHO intake is good probably at 1g/lb of bodyweight with 75% being PWO (from immediate to 2-3hours after). Beradi has the P+C for 2 meals after the workout and all others P+F. DJ said it best too....Fiber with every meal. (whether it be in a shake, veggies, or flaxseeds on the food). I also tell people if they really want size to keep their workouts to 2-3x a week max....only because most people cant and will not eat the amount of calories it takes to be active every single day. Your endurance may go to crap...but it's a short term sacrifice.

Take full advantage of the PWO window as you can increase your recovery and muscle building efforts if timed right. (esp carb and BCAA intake)

Note that my CHO intake is high on workout days only....on the other days you are not lifting then it should be lower. Probably just keep the P+C for the AM only...and P+F+Veg the rest of the day. If you are grappling then you might also want to toy with PWO drink for quick replenishment.

Elliot Royce
03-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Coconut milk, that's the solution. A can of that with a mass builder protein shake is around 1200 calories. It also tastes good. 2 of those per day plus some real food and weight gain will not be a problem. And coconut milk is supposed to be good for you, too (lauric acid or something).

Derek Simonds
03-08-2007, 06:33 PM
MOD my current PWO solution for grappling is 16 oz of non fat chocolate milk drank with a whole bunch of water. In regards to working out I have made a serious commitment to only work out using the template Greg and Robb put together.

Long term health is definitely on my goal list. One of the guys that works for me was reading my post and he was asking me what supplements are you going to do to help you bulk up? My reply, nothing because I don't know what is in all of those supplements and I don't want to risk it. I also agree with your comments on the CHO, too much and I feel like crap. I don't mind CHO from vegetables (with lots of fiber) it just gets real hard to eat of ton of vegetables.

Elliot I will check out the coconut milk. That sounds perfect for the days I am traveling.

Dave Van Skike
03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Coconut milk, that's the solution. A can of that with a mass builder protein shake is around 1200 calories. It also tastes good. 2 of those per day plus some real food and weight gain will not be a problem. And coconut milk is supposed to be good for you, too (lauric acid or something).

Ironically, cocnut milk is one of the things thaty I have used on the v-diet dieting...:eek: I was havign challenges choking back all the shakes on account of the grossness of their taste. Went to three shakes ED at about 500 Kcla each. 1/3 of a can of cocunt milk gives a lot of calories and pretty good mouth feel to whatever you're mixing it with.

John Alston
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
This sounds like a good plan.
And i Seriously support the coconut milk. Any vanilla protein shake becomes super tasty with half a can of coconut milk in it. There's gotta be somewhere I can buy cans in bulk... Costco? I'll check next time...

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
This sounds like a good plan.
And i Seriously support the coconut milk. Any vanilla protein shake becomes super tasty with half a can of coconut milk in it. There's gotta be somewhere I can buy cans in bulk... Costco? I'll check next time...

John-
We buy a super cheap, good quality coconut milk from Raleys/Bel Air. If you have an asian grocery you should be able to find good quality product there.

John Alston
04-05-2007, 06:27 AM
John-
We buy a super cheap, good quality coconut milk from Raleys/Bel Air. If you have an asian grocery you should be able to find good quality product there.

Yeah, when I was in San Francisco, coconut milk and other coconut was cheaper and more available, but now in Brooklyn, the dollar stores don't carry 50-cent cans. I'll keep hunting...

Troy Archie
04-06-2007, 09:44 PM
2-Seat-o-your pants low carb may be the way to go. Protein at every meal. Protein and carbs post workout. Protein and fat all other meals. If you hate eating you MIGHT be eating enough.

Go with the protein every 2-3 hours, take in at least 1-1.5g/lb of bodyweight. I'd say CHO intake is good probably at 1g/lb of bodyweight with 75% being PWO (from immediate to 2-3hours after). Beradi has the P+C for 2 meals after the workout and all others P+F. DJ said it best too....Fiber with every meal. (whether it be in a shake, veggies, or flaxseeds on the food).

Do you guy's even take into account the carbs in veggies (cabbage, lettuce, celery, tomatos...) or are they pretty much nothing? Save yams, sweet potatoes and such...You mention getting 75% carbs PWO but yet having a fiber with every meal...

Mike ODonnell
04-07-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd ditch the high fiber veg and stick with more high density carbs like the sweet pot and like, just for the pwo part if that is your goal on carb loading....plus you are probably having enough of the fiberous veg all day long anyways...I keep it simple with either meals being:
P+F+V (protein + fat + veg)
P+C (protein + carbs)

The P+C are usually only pwo (or AM if I feel like eating some fruit....as I put fruit in the C group too....)

Troy Archie
04-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Well yeah, sans the PWO feed do you even consider the carbs in the fiberous veggies into account? You say all other meals are P+F so in my mind I picture someone eating a chicken breast and a pile of nuts and calling it a meal. I'm assuming you'd throw the chicken and nuts with a couple tomatos, some lettuce and a cuccumber when you say you'd be eating fiberous carbs all day...

Ben Moskowitz
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
This looks like a great thread with a ton of good info...
For mass gain, do I want to eat a few hundred calories over caloric expenditure, or an absolute crap-load to clean bulk the best?
Do I ramp up to crap-load, fearing-the-sight-of-food level or am I just wasting my time if I don't eat everything I can get my hands on?

Steven Low
12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
This looks like a great thread with a ton of good info...
For mass gain, do I want to eat a few hundred calories over caloric expenditure, or an absolute crap-load to clean bulk the best?
Do I ramp up to crap-load, fearing-the-sight-of-food level or am I just wasting my time if I don't eat everything I can get my hands on?
Eat as clean as you can. You are what you eat (seriously). And eating cleaner is better for performance which leads to better gains.

Mike ODonnell
12-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Eat as clean as you can. You are what you eat (seriously). And eating cleaner is better for performance which leads to better gains.

Like Steven said...eat clean...a ton of protein...healthy fats....veggies...cycle in fruits and more complex paleo carbs.....lift heavy....quit all the other metabolic stuff....you will get real muscle.....not that 20lbs in 1 month stuff that people claim which is more glycogen/water retention and fat.....gaining 1lb of real muscle a month is alot...you can always carb and water load later to get the additional 10lbs...add in creatine and you get 15....

Ben Moskowitz
12-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Like Steven said...eat clean...a ton of protein...healthy fats....veggies...cycle in fruits and more complex paleo carbs...

Cycle in the fruits and carbs like.. PWO? Training day? I think I have the idea, I just want to make sure.
And, should I eat 200-500 cals over expenditure, or thousands? Base 15 block Zone was putting me at... 1700 cals? Supposed expenditure is 2300-2500, and now I'm eating 2800-3000 cals... Good/bad?

I know I just need to do it, but I love all the technical junk.

Steven Low
12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Carbs PWO I would say. Unless you're an ecto and/or asian you probably can't tolerate the carbs giving you insulin spikes a lot. It's good after workouts, obviously, to stop catabolism.

I'd say more or less about 500. 500 cals is about one pound a week although some of it might be fat. If you really wanted to be stingy then go with like the 200-300 and probably most/all of it will be muscle.

Ben Moskowitz
12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
oh man, I just thought of one more thing:
So I was told no more gymnastics or extra training. Big bar lifts, in, out, eat. Obviously I won't be doing 100 pullups for time unless it's called for. What about things I would consider skills, like handstands and pistols? Will GTGing hinder growth? I mean, probably skills I'm more strength deficient in like HSPUs and pullups (OAC..hahaha) are out the window. Right now I'm on break, and I feel like I have a little time on my hands. Of course, probably the thing I most should GTG is stretching, cuz I'm really sore (and inflexible)...

Stephen, I guess your workouts are much more (advanced) skill-based than mine, but how does that play a factor in your programming?

Steven Low
12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Er? Who canceled all your extra training? Why can't you do whatever you want?

GTG will take away a chain of movement. For example, if you're doing GTG dips you won't really be able to do GTG pushups or handstand pushups or anything pushing-wise really without hindering yourself. Also, pushing exercises in your workout will suffer too.

I do skill work before working out... which happens to be working towards one arm handstands at the moment. As for programming it doesn't affect it.

John Alston
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Moskowitz;24436]
Newest edit:
If you think I should just delete this post, say so and I'll do it.

Delete it, it gave me a headache.

You're making neurotic upper-east-side females look healthy.

Ben Moskowitz
01-10-2008, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Moskowitz;24436]
You're making neurotic upper-east-side females look healthy.

True that. Too much, too much.

I just have one straightforward set of questions now.

If one was to go cyclic low-carb, would the carb-up day ideally occur on a rest day, or a training day? For a 5-on-2-off schedule, or a 3-1 schedule? Would you want to be slightly calorically restricted on that carb up if it was on a rest day or training day (as was delved into in some other thread... I can't find it now)

Here's some more gold... thought I would make a useful (re)post:
5) Try carb timing. On my training days I try to get 75% of my carbs PWO in the form of complex and some simple carbs. I toy around too see how my body responds...blood sugar drops in the hours after, fat addition on the waist, etc. The rest of the day is more Protein+Veg+Fat. Maybe some Fruit in the AM too. Every day is different, but I usually see good results. Too many carbs at the wrong time just goes right to my waist as I know I have insulin resistance issues...but the PWO timeframe of 1-2hours seems to work well for me in maintaining leanness.
This is what I'm aiming for now, because I'm basically cooking all my meals. I might try CLC or MD for easier scheduling with school and stuff.

This is a good thread too (wfs):
Metabolic Diet and Me (http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535)

Probably the biggest revelation is if you're using the Zone, you can just swap out carbs for 3x fat blocks on the fly in a Veg+Pro+Fat meal. Then you swap in the carbs in the PWO meal or on the carb-load day I guess, and dial out the fat. If I can manage to keep track of the numbers, this might be the easiest way. Although, it's probably best to lay down a routine of a certain number of blocks per meal, so I get a feel for how the swap in-out process happens in terms of what's on my plate.

Mike ODonnell
01-11-2008, 08:46 AM
This is why I don't like the zone...people get too obsessed with numbers and blocks.

Protein+ComplexCarbs - post workout 1-2 hours (only on glycolitic training days, not ME)
Protein+Fruit - AM or preworkout if you feel bonked
Protein+Fat+Veggies - All other meals

Add in a carb up day if you feel you need it once a week. Go by how you feel, perform, and body composition....throw out all the other formulas. Spend that free time smelling some roses or taking a nice walk outside...that relaxation alone will lead to more muscle because your zone obsession is probably overstressing your system and cortisol levels.

Ben Moskowitz
01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
that zone obsession is probably overstressing your system and cortisol levels.

D*mn straight.
I think I'm going to Zone+Fitday for the next week or so, maybe more, just so I get the feel of what this high-fat, Paleo, veggie, cyclic-ish lifestyle feels like plate to plate and snack to snack.

I tried to jump into seat-of-the-pants mode, but I was still "Zoned out" in my head. This basically was like throwing all plans to the wind, and I couldn't wrap my mind around anything. It seems like most things (IF, dieting in general, Paleo, low-carb, doing WODs...) it's best to take the gradual approach.

I thought of another question. Since fat is a metabolically neutral macro supposedly, do you have to be so precise about balancing out how much you get per meal?
I mean, for the sake of argument, does
Meal 1@5x fat + Meal 2@5x fat = Meal 1@9x fat + Meal 2@1x fat
If the protein and carbs are the same for each?

I mean, I just felt like eating the Paleo pancakes this morning, and I was planning on saving a pancake for later to balance my fat throughout the day, but um.... they are so freaking good! Scarfed em all down, and entered fat bliss...
I mean, on the Zone it was like "ooh a whole 1.33 tsp of olive oil for my fat this meal, special!"
Now it's like "holy crap I am eating a 1/4 cup of almond butter." YES.

OOoh, and if I'm on a Strength/Power cycle with the sparse metcon thrown in, then CLC/MD is probably better suited then? With a PWO complex carbs for metcon if I feel like it I guess. So would the carb-up be best on a training day, or rest day, or just by feel? And what is the feeling of carb depletion?

Mike ODonnell
01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I mean, for the sake of argument, does
Meal 1@5x fat + Meal 2@5x fat = Meal 1@9x fat + Meal 2@1x fat

Ummm....I don't know and don't care....eat how you feel....see how your body responds....thinking that individuals respond the same to one set equation is silly....that and real progress is made with random protocols...so have fun driving yourself insane with a set of rules based on maximum results from a randomized approach.

That and switch to decaf.....

Kevin Perry
01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I get headaches reading this.

Patrick Donnelly
01-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm in agreement with Mike. Eat what you're hungry for.

Ben Moskowitz
01-11-2008, 09:52 PM
....that and real progress is made with random protocols...

Word. Enough, I'll just figure out what works for me. Sorry to clog the boards with useless BS, I have a lot of respect for you guys and this site and don't mean to foul it up.

Ben Moskowitz
02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Well, I thought I would update a bit.

I've learned to chill out. I've learned that Zone dieting + crossfit-style psyching up, intensity and so forth can lead you down a dangerous road. The "Mental Strength" articles have been a great read. Plus other things... like books... and totally getting away from fitness. Having a life. Relaxing.

Sometimes, focusing on performance, body comp, or whatever isn't even worth it. You have to ask yourself, "why are you working out?" Hopefully the answer is "because it's fun." If not, time to take a breather.

Strangely enough (this is a hunch) you operate best not when focused on performance and "bringing it," but when your having fun.

The PMenu-intuitive-Zen approach has been sexy to me for a while, but I think I'm slowly actually getting there. It takes a while.

Ohh, and "bulking up" takes a retarded amount of food. Week to week. Don't make my mistake and go all 24hour window, squeeky clean, carb load, cyclic whatever. If you go out to dinner, you're obligated to eat a boatload, regardless of paleo-friendliness. Plus a gallon of milk.

I lost sight of the big picture by focusing intensely on minute details, for sure.
Hopefully I don't get too fat.... but I've learned not to even care.

Mike ODonnell
02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Life is so much more than what you look like, weight, lift, etc....just eat right to be healthy...exercise hard to enjoy what you do...and enjoy the journey daily...don't obsess over needing to look a certain way or get to a certain point....you can plan things the right way, you can learn how to make adjustments as you go for improved health, you can know what you love to do and in the long run you will get there if you do everything right in the first place consistently....otherwise the obsession part will never go away and you will always be left wanting more....that road only leads to depression and unhappiness.

When it really comes down to it....do it all for long term health (eating, exercise and lifestyle)...and you get everything that comes with it...lose fat, gain muscle, improved performance and a long happy life.

Ben Moskowitz
02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I couldn't agree more. My obsession and discipline drove me to a very shaky place... and once you're there it takes a whole lot of time and mental shift to get out.

As I write now, I'm happy and loving the intuitive approach. Hopefully this will stick with me, and I can keep my eye on the big picture so as not to stress.

"Stress: don't do it. It'll kill ya."
Not terribly helpful when you're stressed out.

I would say better advice is:
"Have fun. Enjoy life. Read a book, maybe even something light. Or watch a movie. Go *mindless* for a while."

This is probably self-evident stuff, but it's certainly hard to follow day after day ain't it...

I guess the only debate left is 1 cup of olive oil/day vs. 1 gallon of milk/day.
My current plan is 3 solid meals, protein+fat+veg. Maybe some snacks if I can bear it. Add to that a gallon of milk. That's like, 1500-2500 calories (skim vs. whole). If you are following the zone, that doesn't compute. That's like, all of your blocks. So it's like, doubling your food intake. It just doesn't make sense.

Mike ODonnell
02-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I guess the only debate left is 1 cup of olive oil/day vs. 1 gallon of milk/day. My current plan is 3 solid meals, protein+fat+veg. Maybe some snacks if I can bear it. Add to that a gallon of milk. That's like, 1500-2500 calories (skim vs. whole). If you are following the zone, that doesn't compute. That's like, all of your blocks. So it's like, doubling your food intake. It just doesn't make sense.

Confused on the question itself....but if you double ALL calories (as in protein/fat/carbs) then you will get more fat than muscle...and then have to lean out again. If your goal is lean muscle gain....then up the protein, cut down on carbs (except pwo) and keep fat levels where you need to be to maintain performance/weight gain/activity level. (aka..the more you do...the more fat you will probably need...the less you do...the less you will need). Milk is good mass gain because of the balance of slow release proteins in the whey/caesin (whole, not skim)...but you can get plenty of protein from whole foods like steak, eggs, etc also. You don't need a gallon a day...maybe just a glass with every meal. As stated in another thread...personally I can't do it because of the mucus and breathing issues...but if I wanted to gain short term and didn't have a need to bike/run/play ice hockey/ or date...then I probably would do it...I found the ladies are not big fans of spitting up mucus every 5 minutes...

back to the zen side....2 cases in point...

- A BB guy I know...had emergency gallbladder surgery....haven't seen him in months....he went from a ripped 260lbs....to probably 210....I didn't even recognize him the other day. I bet he is seriously depressed about that size lost...and how quickly it happened....but as I told him, it was good to see him walking around and living and I am sure he has some better perspective on life now...

- 2nd case....I f&#^# up my shoulder and hand in one hockey game...bad full speed collision...and some guy not liking me too much and slashing my wrist....so for the past 3 weeks I can't raise a beer can over my head with one arm...and can't put any pressure on my hand with the other (can't even do a pushup)...so prob lost 5 lbs in the upper body....but life is always going to be full of those things and I no longer have my happiness tied to self image....5 years ago...seriously would be depressed....now...just smile and look forward to doing some pushups soon!

Ben Moskowitz
02-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Wow yeah, that's a great perspective. The whole body image thing can REALLY throw people for a loop. I know it did for me.
I guess if you really want to push, there's the "crossfit injury approach," which I guess would be pistols or some other skill/strength. And there's always flexibility to fall back on. It's tough to stay consistent with that one.

I guess right now, milk is cheap and easy, and I don't have to worry about protein requirements :D Meat ain't cheap. Although per calorie per dollar, olive oil is pretty comparable to milk. Nuts and nut butter, and even coconut milk, not so much.

The conundrum I have is the milk + squats routine, and 20lbs. in a month sort of deal. And that's with whole milk, an extra 2500 calories/day on top of your average diet. I mean, Rippetoe prescribes a gallon of whole milk/day, and he says stick to the program. It seems so simple, I just want to follow it.

I don't want to limit my gains (which I definitely was doing by being so obsessed, and not understanding calories and whatnot) but obviously there's little point in just getting fat.

Simple is good. Getting too fancy is tricky (and can be taxing).

Mike ODonnell
02-08-2008, 01:38 PM
You can spend a month thinking about...or just try it and see what happens. Don't over analyze...just take action. You are allowed to make any adjustments you want along the way as you get a better understanding of how your body reacts to macronutrients..and then understand how to control it.

Ben Moskowitz
02-08-2008, 02:15 PM
agreed. The trick is to have a plan, stick to it, and then see what happens. Not to be running 5 hypotheses all at once and scrambling them together hour by hour.

I've got 5 gallons of skim in the fridge (a week is probably too small a time frame though). We'll see what happens.

Trader Joe's EVOO is fortunately cheap as well. So is peanut butter (while not paleo-friendly, it's super cheap, loads of fat, and some protein, if maybe high in carbs. I'll just shy away from the sugar-laden crap).

I think my previous foray into "high fat low carb" was just "serious caloric deficit" because I didn't know what I was doing and was obsessing, pidgeon-holing, whatever.

EDIT: Oh, and I love cooking to a (p-menu) recipe now, not some zone-dictated BS, with amounts that make sense based on how food is "packaged." And then eating to satiety, not blocks. I guess I have a good intuitive sense of proportions now after zoning for a while, so it's not even something worth thinking about. Of course, not having to cut fat is a plus. I can get back to that later.

Final Edit:
Here's Rippetoe's last word (http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=816) In bulking up (WFS). Pretty simple prescription I'd say; he really likes the milk = natural growth liquid thing, which sorta makes sense. Although I might've worked up "mass gain baseline + gallon o' milk = extra fat" over the past week, it sure beats the heck out of lack of calories. Of course, yeah, now I'll play around with it and see what happens. This is fun.
p.s. I love that the performance menu has ingredient overlap from issue to issue. You just go to the grocery store, pick some stuff, and cook several different meals.

I will say my adoption of the high-fat paleo diet has given me some wicked gas. Or maybe it's all the fibrous veggies. Or maybe both.

Ben Moskowitz
02-11-2008, 08:50 AM
OK, I think I've come full circle with this. I now value the slow, gradual accumulation of performance and muscle, not bulking up or cutting up. I value the Zen-like state that comes with O-lifting. Eating right, enough, but certainly not stressing over food (enjoyment is far better). Eating carbs only as necessary for anaerobic performance, and otherwise enjoying the slow, even-keel burn of fat for fuel. And by golly if fat doesn't taste good, what a "diet!"
Answers do not lie in 20 rep squats, gallons of milk, or extremity. Balance and "moderation (in the elite physical sense)" are key.

I guess it takes a while to truly get intuitive with things, and I probably have a long way to go.

My only (unrelated) question is how to perform anaerobic metcons with intensity, but not get caught up away from the balance? To spike the adrenaline, but not get carried away during the effort or afterwards?

MOD, what's your approach to your hockey games?

p.s.
My other resolution is to spend less or equal time on internet forums as in the gym. Mind and body balance is essential.

Mike ODonnell
02-11-2008, 09:53 AM
MOD, what's your approach to your hockey games?

Just go out and play...not worry about what will or won't happen...don't worry about the score...just focus only on what is going on at that moment and what I need to do....as the moment keeps changing....most people call that being in the "zone". If you want 100% effort....have to stop giving energy to useless worries like any thoughts of "what if....". Just do what you need to do now....your body can do it...your mind is the only thing that holds you back. Chances are your performance in anything will always be best when you are relaxed and completely in that moment. Hence why I am a better golfer after 4 beers.....same muscles...same clubs...the mind just doesn't get in the way anymore.

Ben Moskowitz
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah I guess it's true for all sports, not just for O-lifting. I guess for O-lifting the "moment" is super-consolidated into like, 2 seconds.

Zen/"the zone"/calm and cool/being in the moment for all things.

The Peaceful Warrior is an awesome movie (I should read the book). I am now learning how to apply it to sport and life.