PDA

View Full Version : Best way to reach a 2xBW Squat??

Tobias Akeblom
08-31-2011, 11:48 PM
I am a weak squatter. This is a result of me not realising the squat is the King of excercises. But with the new addiction of olympic weightlifting, I need to be a stronger squater.

For the moment my 1RM are 127.5kg:s. But my long time goal is to squat at least 2xBW. Wich apprx will be in 160:s.

What template is best for this goal. Do I need periods of hypertrophy, to put on more muslce before doing a strength based cycle again.

Bee Brian
09-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I am a weak squatter. This is a result of me not realising the squat is the King of excercises. But with the new addiction of olympic weightlifting, I need to be a stronger squater.

For the moment my 1RM are 127.5kg:s. But my long time goal is to squat at least 2xBW. Wich apprx will be in 160:s.

What template is best for this goal. Do I need periods of hypertrophy, to put on more muslce before doing a strength based cycle again.

My front-squat went from 155 pounds to 245 pounds within a 14-week time-frame with this program: http://strength-training.wikidot.com/strength-training-article:keen-bulgarian-blitz

(I also gained 10 pounds of lean muscle. Now to be fair, I was at week-8 of my training when I gained that weight, and after that, I just controlled my diet to maintain weight.)

If you want more intricate details, just ask away.

Tobias Akeblom
09-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Did you do three session/week?

So basically, you work up to three singles on Monday. Based wednesday of mondays results. Friday you worked up to a true 1RM.

Am I right?

John Alston
09-01-2011, 05:35 AM

Which is your more important goal - Weightlifting or the squat?

Bee Brian
09-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Did you do three session/week?

So basically, you work up to three singles on Monday. Based wednesday of mondays results. Friday you worked up to a true 1RM.

Am I right?

The recommended time frame in which to build up the kind of work capacity capable of doing 8 training sessions a week, as suggested in the article, is approximately one and one-half year. I, however, am already doing 6 training sessions in less-than 4 months.

I followed the program exercise-by-exercise, set-by-set. And as far as Mondays, it depends. Study the MTR matrix written in the article. It is their main "secret" if you wanna call it that.

Brian M Smith
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM

there are many different templates, all of which work.

you could try a texas method style programming which will help you linearly progress.

you could also just squat to some degree every day, which will also yield progress

Also, I wouldn't listen to Bee Brian, he is a renowned troll.

Tobias Akeblom
09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Which is your more important goal - Weightlifting or the squat?

Most important goal is weightlifting. But since I for the moment power clean more than I can clean is my squat a limiting factor. I feel that my pull is quite strong. Just need to get that squat up.

Arien Malec
09-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Whether Bee is a troll or not, I second the Bulgarian "squat to max daily" approach. And not to a slow grind limited depth max, a "squat to clean-recovery-like max daily" -- that is, work up to a full depth max with some speed out of the hole. Also work your clean recoveries: think "catch and stand", or "catch and drive elbow up".

Ben Glidewell
09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I can also PC more than I can clean... about 25#,:mad: for me it is a lack of flexibility rather than the leg strength holding my numbers down