PDA

View Full Version : Snatch technique question

Tyson Wright
09-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Is the chest going forward at the bottom of the snatch necessarily a bad thing and if so, is it typically a flexibility thing? I know I've read an upright chest is ideal but I feel comfortable with it. Thanks.

Greg Everett
09-14-2011, 03:24 PM
How far forward? You need some forward lean to get a proper overhead position with the arms, but too far and you lose that structure.

Tyson Wright
09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm very much a beginner so there's a lot going on in this lift (including open callouses so forgive the gloves :)). What the video doesn't show is when I go heavier and I hold the bottom of the squat. In order to get out of the bottom of the squat, I find myself leaning forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lia4wtZRHo

Tobias Akeblom
09-15-2011, 12:27 AM
IMHO that is pretty much upright. No worries!

Greg Everett
09-15-2011, 09:59 AM
The torso angle is fine - but your shoulders and hips are a bit tighter than they should be. Might be able to mobilize the upper back a bit more as well and get a more comfortable and stable position.

Tyson Wright
09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Greg- I'm a big fan of Kelly Starrett's material. As far as the shoulders/hips go, what would you recommend to address the issues you mentioned?

Greg Everett
09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
spiderman lunge hold, pigeon pose stretch, and russian baby makers for the hips. for upper back, foam rolling the t-spine frequently and relaxing your back over it with the arms overhead. shoulders - everything you can think of. try stretching pecs/delts w bent arm, forearm flat against a doorjamb w elbow a bit higher than shoulder, lean chest through. hang from pull-up bar w narrow and wide grips, but retract and depress the shoulder blades.

Tyson Wright
09-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the information. Is this something that should be done pre or post workout? Or should I stick with the Catalyst "standard warmup"?

Greg Everett
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
the more you do it, the faster it will work. modify your existing warm-up to include the new stuff, or add it on top. do post workout too. then do it any time you can do it.

Bee Brian
09-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Tyson. Judging from the video you showed us, I think you are better off working on your pulling technique than worrying about your catch position with the snatch.