PDA

View Full Version : Jerk- false grip

Tyson Wright
10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm much more comfortable using a false grip when doing jerks. I don't think I have a flexibility issue with the normal grip, I just can't seem to get comfortable. Besides the safety aspect, is this something I should stay away from?

Greg Everett
10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
The only reason to avoid it is the issue of bar security. Otherwise there's really nothing wrong with it. Just don't drop the bar on your head.

glennpendlay
10-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Gayle Hatch MAKES some lifters use a false grip. I favor a full grip, but, if a choice has to be made between good rack position with false, or bad rack position with a full grip, I will side with the good rack position.

Greg Everett
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Gayle Hatch MAKES some lifters use a false grip. I favor a full grip, but, if a choice has to be made between good rack position with false, or bad rack position with a full grip, I will side with the good rack position.

I know jeff wittmer used a thumbless grip, and my east German guy uses one because of a shoulder injury he had as a youngster. I'm with you on a solid rack position being the priority. Not much point in being able to better secure the bar with the thumbs if you can't get it overhead in the first place.