PDA

View Full Version : Are We Geeks?

Craig Cooper
03-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion...

Robert Allison
03-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Probably...

I think that in the same way that tech geek’s value technology for its own sake, many of the posters here, myself included, are always researching & exploring some new idea simply because we find it interesting.

It has been often noted that the basics of fitness & health are relatively simply (think CrossFit description). That doesn't necessarily stop me from playing with new ideas, using the only experimental subject I currently have--myself.

None of this is necessarily bad, as long as the thinking doesn't bog us down and lead to paralysis by analysis.

Yael Grauer
03-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I was observing an English class at a local high school a few months ago, and the lesson plan was to write down stereotypes about different groups (gangstas, emo kids, jocks, geeks, preps, etc.) One kid asked me which group I was in...so I sat and thought for a minute and then said, "Uh, I think I'm a geek!" He laughed. The fact that it was my own admission and that I can still pass for a high school student saved my pride.

I am a geek because my favorite books include Geek Love and Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Mike ODonnell
03-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm just a jock who has an engineering degree and drinks beer while wearing an Izod.....I'm having an identity crisis....

kevin mckay
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM
well I am a Unix engineer so I guess I am doing double duty :)

Kevin mckay
Geek 2.0

Robb Wolf
03-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Performance Menu: The Geeks of Fitness?

Chris Forbis
03-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Kudos to being a geek and still being able to pass for a high school student. I tell people that the reason I wear a tie every day to school is so that people can distinguish the teacher (me) from the students!

I act like a geek in most of my endeavors in life. Learning is just too damn cool to not be a geek.

Allison Barns
03-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Performance Menu: The Geeks of Fitness?

Love that!! :D

Ron Nelson
03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
My wife says I'm a dork. Kids say I'm a geek. My students fear me.
I'm comfortable with that.

Who's going to call Steve Shafley a geek?

Yael Grauer
03-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Kudos to being a geek and still being able to pass for a high school student. I tell people that the reason I wear a tie every day to school is so that people can distinguish the teacher (me) from the students!

It's better than being carded, isn't it? :D

Allen Yeh
03-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Hmm well my wife calls me a dork, what I'm not allowed to still know everything there is to know about the Marvel, DC comic book universe? Oh and know more about Naruto and Star Wars than my 8-year old?

Ok well maybe she's onto something....man..

Steve Shafley
03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I really am, though.

I played AD&D and other RPGs.
I collected lots of comics.
I still will play video games occasionally, usually RPGs on the PC, but sometimes FPS on my X-box.

I'm a fitness geek too....even though it might not matter, I usually want to know why.

Ron Nelson
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I have to admit, I played D&D into college. Went so far as to play in a life size game out in the Back Bay in Newport Beach. We played a game called Diplomacy in HS. That was fun.

I was also on Model U.N. in college, but that was more about meeting girls at a conference than studying the inner workings of world politics.

Now, I endlessly read about lifting, dieting, and general fitness. My friend's son (who plays JC football at Santa Ana College) even seeks me out about injury and lifting. I'm a geek.

kevin mckay
03-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Must admit that I played D&D as well, because Shaf sited he played "A"D&D not just D&D I will up his geek status a little a little more :)

Yael Grauer
03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
I played AD+D AND Changeling AND Vampire (the LARPs), AND I was in a Star Trek fan club. Beat that! :p

Frank Needham
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I rebuilt a frickin' dead riding lawn mower from the ground up when I was about 14 and thought it was cool? I still didn't figure it out till years later what that meant....ouch! Major dork material....

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I got kicked out of the chess club in HS....so I can't be that geeky....

Ron Nelson
03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
I got kicked out of the chess club in HS....so I can't be that geeky....

I heard it was because you thought it was "chest club."

see 320lb woman

kevin mckay
03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Lol

kevin mckay
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I played AD+D AND Changeling AND Vampire (the LARPs), AND I was in a Star Trek fan club. Beat that! :p

Geez, this is some serious stuff here and am feeling my geekiness threatened, but I recompile my kernel on a fairly regular basis and I think people would be hard pressed to beat that nerd factor ;)

Yael Grauer
03-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Geez, this is some serious stuff here and am feeling my geekiness threatened, but I recompile my kernel on a fairly regular basis and I think people would be hard pressed to beat that nerd factor ;)

(in my best cheerleader voice...)

Gooooo PENGUIN!!!

Robert Allison
03-13-2007, 03:21 PM
...but I recompile my kernel on a fairly regular basis...

Is that what tech geeks call it? BTW, I don't think you are supposed to talk about that kind of stuff in polite company. :)

Joe Hart
03-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, It sounds like you have a very healthy prostate gland. They say compiling your kernel 3x a week is good for your prostate. I suspect we moved beyond polite company a while ago. 320 pound woman.

kevin mckay
03-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Wow I must have one hell of a healthy prostate then because I recompile that daily and my wife even helps out once in a while :)

Ron Nelson
03-15-2007, 09:27 AM
You people are sick.

My wife does help me reconfigure my hard drive at least once a week.

Robert Allison
03-15-2007, 01:29 PM
They told me when I was young that "reconfiguring my hard drive" would cause me to go blind. ;)

kevin mckay
03-15-2007, 01:34 PM
They told me when I was young that "reconfiguring my hard drive" would cause me to go blind. ;)

Thats silly, everybody knows it will just make you grow hair on your motherboard.

Allison Barns
03-15-2007, 08:49 PM
So are you truly, truly geeky if you never played anything in school but was sent to the principal's office on a regular basis for sitting on the hallway floor at lunch time to do homework (violating the "closed halls" policy) and finally had your guidance counselor suggest you take the GED and leave high school ASAP to get out of their hair? Or perhaps that's just severe dorkism?

Allen Yeh
03-16-2007, 04:44 AM
So are you truly, truly geeky if you never played anything in school but was sent to the principal's office on a regular basis for sitting on the hallway floor at lunch time to do homework (violating the "closed halls" policy) and finally had your guidance counselor suggest you take the GED and leave high school ASAP to get out of their hair? Or perhaps that's just severe dorkism?

Um....severe geekism? Dorks and geeks just aren't the same thing!

Robb Wolf
03-16-2007, 06:26 AM
I think Allen is correct here Allison...we may need an intervention sista!

Don Stevenson
03-19-2007, 04:17 AM
I hope i'm a geek, i'd hate to think that I wasted 3 years and a bunch of the governments money studying chemistry if it didn't qualify me as a geek.

Anyway i think we can solve this pretty quickly. Here is a simple geek test.

go to www.thinkgeek.com and if you last longer than 2 minutes browsing without going "PHWOOOOAR sweet i gotta get me one of those" then you are probably not a geek.

However if you are like me you'll probably end up with a Yoda back pack full of methylxanthine lollies and a palm sized radio control helicopter

Pierre Auge
03-19-2007, 04:29 AM
I want the USB handset
The Caffeine Mug and the
7" Widescreen Digital Frame with USB Host

those are cool just like me, at least thats what my mom says!

Yael Grauer
03-19-2007, 06:33 AM

Yeah, I was gonna say... I think it means you went to a crappy school!

If you want, I can teach you some Latin names of plants, though...

Allen Yeh
03-19-2007, 06:50 AM

go to www.thinkgeek.com and if you last longer than 2 minutes browsing without going "PHWOOOOAR sweet i gotta get me one of those" then you are probably not a geek.

I tried to resist saying it....really I think I did last longer than 2 minutes though the LED Battery watch did me in...

Ron Nelson
03-19-2007, 01:29 PM
I believe you have my stapler.

Mike ODonnell
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I believe you have my stapler.

Was it a Red Swingline?

Allison Barns
03-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say... I think it means you went to a crappy school!

If you want, I can teach you some Latin names of plants, though...

Honestly it scares me to think of what some of the people I went to high school with are doing to society these days....

Thanks for the offer Yael!

Allison Barns
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM

I'm hoping my years breathing the fresh air of Humboldt county helped lessen the severity of my condition...

Allison Barns
03-19-2007, 11:10 PM
I hope i'm a geek, i'd hate to think that I wasted 3 years and a bunch of the governments money studying chemistry if it didn't qualify me as a geek.

However if you are like me you'll probably end up with a Yoda back pack full of methylxanthine lollies and a palm sized radio control helicopter

I'm not too sure if I want to thank you for posting that link or curse you for the imminent damage to my credit card account! :D